Wellness pals, it is the third Sunday of the last month of the year meaning it’s time for Wellness Weekend 12.2020 Goals and Year-End Update. A final look at the progress (or lack thereof) on my wellness goals as the year ends. Hope you will link up your final wellness update then stop by to cheer on the others one last time.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Last month it seemed El Paso was the Covid epicenter here in the U.S. Where early this fall I was doing a mini-celebration because life in El Paso was slowly returning to normal, last month we were up to our eyeballs with Covid fatigue. But I am cautiously optimistic with our numbers today. Take a look at these statistics.
- our positivity rate on 11.13.2020 was 20.50%, today’s rate is 7.14%
- on 11.13.2020 53% of all hospitalizations are Covid patients, today 21% of all hospitalizations are Covid-related
- 11.13.2020 was the 29th consecutive day over 500 new cases a day; today is the 8th day under 500 new cases a day
Way to go El Paso!! #elpaSOSTRONG
I think the whole city held its breath worried that our numbers would spike 2 weeks after Thanksgiving. But they didn’t. Apparently, we all sacrificed our turkey dinners with the fam for the collective good of the whole city. Hoping we do the same this week for Christmas.
On that positive note, let’s get on with the main event…
WELLNESS WEEKEND 12.2020 GOALS and Year-End UPDATE
PHYSICAL HEALTH – 4.0 for the year
- Stretch and work out 4x a week, Weight Watchers to maintain weight – had hoped to lose 5 pounds before Thanksgiving. Ha-ha!! Didn’t happen. But you could have predicted that!! Just trying to hold steady through the holidays and then back on track.
- Get 7200 steps and 3 floors a day – good days and not-so-good days but more cognizant of my steps and floors.
- Walk in nature for 30 minutes a day, 5x a week – big improvement in this area overall this year. Trying to get in a walk outdoors every day. Many times PC and I toss a basketball or kick a soccer ball back and forth between us.
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH – 5.0 for the year
- Cook meals at home 4x a week – we live in a semi-remote area of El Paso where there are limited restaurant options for carry out so I have continued to cook my little head off. And splurge a couple times a month on HelloFresh meals. We will continue with HelloFresh at least once a month in the coming year. This latest recipe was especially delicious. Get the recipe for sesame-soy pork bowls here.
- Eat 1 fruit and 1 veggie every day – discovered smoothies in the summer and they have become a part of most mornings. Plan on enjoying them into 2021 and beyond!!
- Indulge in alcohol and sweets on weekends – writing this post before I start my Christmas baking later in the day!! So for this minute, yes…yes (for the most part) indulging in sweets and alcohol only on the weekends. We did try this delicious Christmas ale – Angry Santa with our tamales on Friday. But Friday is technically part of the weekend, right?
SPIRITUAL HEALTH – 3.5 for the year
- Develop a morning routine M-F – struggled all year with this. My days never looked the same. Feeling hopeful that 2021 will allow for more routine in all areas of life.
- Enjoy quiet time M-F (devotional, writing, reading, moment of silence and prayer) – have not been as faithful to this as I would like. Recently received my friend Mary’s latest workbook from Amazon, Finding Your Path to Faith, Hope & Healing: A Workbook to Enrich Your Journey. As do all of Mary’s books, this one speaks directly to my needs right now. Will be contentedly following along on this journey with Mary through the first months of 2021.
- Use aroma therapy during my morning routine – was certainly not consistent doing this throughout the year, but have been plugging in my diffuser quite often this month when I settle in for quiet time. It is just another aspect that makes my quiet time even more enjoyable. And the soft light it emits is so pleasant early in the morning.
MENTAL HEALTH – 4.5 for the year
- Get dressed every day (not active wear), wear a dress or skirt to church – well, I think we went to church less than a half dozen times this year. As a result, haven’t had on a dress or skirt in months. Looking forward to returning to worship and wearing dresses!! Have taken advantage of going anywhere to get dressed in something other than yoga pants. Showing off a few of those looks from my fashion haus, here. Will be wearing a lot more of my Shapermint Empetua leggings in the new year.
- Weekly artistic activity; word games, journal – got off to a slow start in this category but rallied this month for a strong finish. Completed the #25daysofgratitude the autumn photo challenge with my friends Deb and Jennifer. And when Deb mentioned her streak of 200+ days on Duolingo. I was so impressed that I started doing a little bit of Spanish each night myself. Have a 30+ day streak going. Continuing to explore painting, collages, mosaics, scrapbooking and more.
- Read 3 books a month in order to meet my Goodreads goal (are we friends on Goodreads yet?) – finally a category where I exceeded expectations. Finished reading An American Marriage by Tayari Jones from our public library. Still haven’t been able to return it!! Currently reading News of the World by Paulette Jiles; will be released as a movie starring Tom Hanks on Christmas Day. Also reading Oona Out of Order by Margarita Montimore. And my online book club selected In a Holidaze by Christina Lauren as our December read. If you are looking for a great online book club, holler! I’ve got just the one for you. Hey, check me out!! More than surpassed my Goodreads goal this year. Yay me!!
You have read 44 of 35 books.
RELATIONSHIP HEALTH – 4.0 for the year
- Unplug at 8:30 pm, implement evening routine – overall have been doing better at this. Trying to blog read and write during the day in order to be less tied up on my computer at night. Have even fallen off writing my sentence a day. Need to get back at that. Also practicing Spanish with Duolingo before bed.
- Date night with PC 2x a month (bucket list activities) – don’t know many couples that have enjoyed many date nights this year. And we were no exception. Even with my autumn bucket list plans – final update coming tomorrow – our dates were few and far between. Like maybe 2 or 3 since March. Will be releasing my winter bucket list on 12.21.2020. Almost scared to plan any date nights on it.
- Me time, develop friendships, take a class or do something for myself – the year started with me making new friends while taking pickleball lessons. Then Covid. Haven’t picked up a racket since March. Will have to start all over once I can start playing again. In the meantime, I have enjoyed 2 online painting classes. If our world returns to normal, I plan to pick up pickleball again and try to take a photography class.
PREVENTATIVE HEALTH MAINTENANCE – 2.0 for the year
- Improved skin care, routine facials – had one facial early in the year, and then nada. Using sunscreen and this Ageless serum on my face at night. It combines the goodness of vitamin C with Hyaluronic Acid, vitamins B3, B5 & E, peptides, aloe, Retinol, Matrixyl and minerals. My daughter Lauren mentioned that she has seen an improvement in my complexion.
- Weekly dry brushing – nary a time. No excuse. Not even Covid.
- Regular manicures – and nope, unless you count chewing my cuticles.
FINANCIAL HEALTH – 3.0 for the year
- Continue saving each month – started off well, and then online shopping became my favorite form of exercise and entertainment.
- Save for birthdays and Christmas – not sure how I have come out on my Christmas expenses. Afraid to look. Need to get back to saving for next Christmas on 12.26.
- Keep spending under control – room for lots of improvement in 2021
How did you fare on your wellness goals for the year? In what areas did you see your greatest success? Will you be making resolutions or creating wellness goals for 2021? Please share in a comment below.
If you have a wellness related post, please link it up with us so we can cheer you on.
Have sure enjoyed my 2 year stint hosting monthly wellness posts with my friend Natalie. Praying that 2021 will be a healthier, happier year for all of us.
Hugs and kisses,