Bienvenidos to my wellness journey 2021, friends. Today’s post is the first installment of my monthly journey toward achieving improved health and wellness. For 3 years, I have journaled about my wellness goals here. And doing so has helped keep me more accountable. Last year at this time I was feeling very hopeful after coming off a healthy but hectic 2019. But as you can see by my year-end update, I struggled to find the will to exercise and eat well. Lost interest in doing some of my favorite things.
We have no guarantees that 2021 is going to be much better as far as the virus goes. This article “CDC: New COVID Strain May Dominate U.S. by March” on WebMD.com forecasts more of the same.
Jan. 15, 2021 — The CDC is urging Americans to double down on precautions to thwart the spread of the coronavirus, as the new B.1.1.7 “super strain” takes hold in the U.S.
New CDC modeling shows the new strain could cause more than half of new infections in this country by March, even as the U.S. races to deploy vaccines.
An exhausting thought. But I am tired of letting this virus impose itself on my life, my health. So, I am turning a new leaf with this shiny new year. And I hope you will join me. Healthier, happier days are ahead.
My WELLNESS Journey 2021
Again this year, I was torn between creating goals built on the work I’ve done in the past and just counting the number of walks I take, the points I eat, the books I read. Like I said above, I’ve found that sharing my wellness goals here makes me more accountable. And might even – hopefully – inspire you to create your own! You can see how I fared overall on last year’s goals, here.
So, I am sticking with the way I’ve been doing things in the past. That being said, here are my goals.
WELLNESS GOALS 2020
The goals I set for myself the last 3 years have been pretty well all encompassing; goals for exercising, diet, staying well in addition to mental, spiritual and relationship wellness. I did so well in 2019 I really don’t feel like shaking things up too much for 2020. But 2020 was kind of a vacuum. So at the risk of being redundant, here are wellness goals for this year. And as in year past, I will be rating my progress on a scale of 1-5.
- Lose Covid lockdown weight: about 8 pounds depending on how much I have indulged before weigh-in on Saturday mornings. For the record, yesterday I was 143.8. At 136 pounds, my clothes fit so much better.
- Workout 4 times a week: we have our video workouts, and our mini-gym in the garage, and warmer weather on the way. I have put together this playlist of video workouts that I have discovered for seniors and fitness beginners. Grateful to PC for putting together my new treadmill.
- Walk everyday: video walks in the house for bad weather days, walks in nature when the weather is pleasant.
- Cook meals at home 4x a week: want to do this and track my Weight Watcher points until I get this extra weight off. Continue subscribing to HelloFresh and enjoying their low calorie meals. This is Bulgogi Lime Pork Tenderloin with a Roasted Sweet Potato & Bell Pepper Jumble.
- Smoothies: in the mornings. Need some new ingredient ideas to spice things up.
- Alcohol and sweets on weekends: going to be more careful about this again.
- Quiet time: at least M-F, getting up early to do it first thing.
- Bible journaling: a couple of times a month.
- Gratitude journaling: every night.
- Duolingo: food for my brain.
- Weekly artistic activity – #100DayProject: we choose a creative project, do it every day for 100 days, and share your process online – so going to work on my ever-lovin’ mosaic. And continue scrapbooking, painting, collages.
- Goodreads goal: Meet or exceed my reading goal for 2021.
- Visit family: want to visit Brennyn, Cady and Mustafa desperately; go see my mom and PC’s mom.
- Planned activities with PC: plan purposeful activities and not let weekends come and go without having fun. Here’s one place my bucket lists come in handy. Winter bucket list update coming on 02.21.2021.
- Strengthen relationships with grandbabies: especially need to show love and spend time with Cady on Facetime or phone calls.
PREVENTATIVE HEALTH MAINTENANCE
- Monday manis: give myself a manicure every Monday.
- Skin care: sunscreen, bedtime complexion routine, occasional facials.
- Routine health care: make appointments for routine checks – dentist, dermatology, mammogram, vision.
- Continue saving each month: saving a little each month.
- Save for Christmas, Disney and birthdays: investigate Christmas Club and Vacation Club accounts as well as ways to save for Disney.
- Watch spending: don’t pull the trigger on impulsive purchases.
If these goals look familiar, they might just be!! They are about the same goals I have been working on over the past 3 years. Practice makes perfect, right?
Did you make any wellness goals for the year? Won’t you share them with me in a comment below? Maybe we can inspire one another toward a healthier 2021. Hope you will follow me on my wellness journey 2021.
Stay well, my friends. Thanks for coming by to visit.
Fist bumps and elbow taps,