Fashionistas and style sistas, welcome to My Fashion Haus 01.2021. First ‘fashion’ post of the shiny new year. And this one is a 2’fer. Last month’s fashion haus post was an 8’fer. A real bargain because I shared 8 different looks. Most of them started with a monochromatic base to which I added different wraps. But rest assured, in reality there was still a whole lotta sweats and yoga pants wearin’ going on over here.
In addition to opening my fashion haus, I am also participating in my second hodgepodge. Read on!
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
My Fashion Haus 01.2021
To be perfectly honest, we have hardly gone anywhere that has required me to brush my hair so far this month. Much less wear real clothes. Just wore today’s SIA outfits to prissy around in my house. The second look for date night took me to dinner and a movie. Almost felt like normal for a minute.
Style Imitating Art
For this month’s post, I am joining the Style Imitating Art gals with my interpretation of the curated piece, Vermeer’s “Girl with the Pearl Earring.”
Just call me ‘grandma with the (faux) pearl earrings.’ I have on the pair. Not just one earring. This is the interpretation I submitted to Terri for the Style Imitating Round Up that went live today. You can check out the looks of all of the participants, here.
This is Terri’s first time as host and curator. She joins veteran SIA-ers, Daenel and Salazar. If you are looking for a fun style series to join this year, please check out the blog of any of the 3 of these gals for more information on Style Imitating Art.
I am wearing my tobacco colored H&M paper bag skirt (similar, similar), Tommy Hilfiger white Oxford cloth shirt and a very old Chadwick’s of Boston blue boyfriend cardigan. Added my Frye boots and of course, the pearl earrings.
This was actually the second of three interpretations I tried. Really wanted to get all literal with a scarf around my head. But doing so made me look rather like a very old babuska. With a pearl earring.
The blue blouse was in the basket of my recently purged clothes. Made the terrible mistake of leaving the basket in my room until I could get PC to go through his clothes. Then planned to take everything to Uptown Cheapskate, our consignment store near the university. Should I give it a reprieve?
It is a very old Portofino utility shirt from Express (similar, similar). I love the length and the color but have never needed pockets across my breasts. They – the breasts – are too big without having the bulk of pockets. Imagine if I kept Kleenex or my money (what money?) in there like my grandma did.
Our movie theater has been open for a few months now but there just haven’t been any good movies out. I get it, no one wants to make a movie or release it during a pandemic. On Christmas Day, we did go see “News of the World” based on the book by Paulette Jiles and starring Tom Hanks. Very entertaining. And on New Year’s Day, we went to see “Promising Young Woman”. Kind of suspenseful.
Pink and Black
For the New Year’s Day date night I wore this pink sweater and legging look.
A soft pink textured tunic sweater was another of the items on the winter capsule wardrobe. I fell in love with this Lauren Conrad sweater because of its beautiful bow back. Tempted to wear it backwards so the pretty details of the back will be in the front! My Shapermint leggings are becoming my go-to bottoms when I finally have reason to get out of my sweatpants. They are high waisted and provide the right amount of light control.
Added some bow shaped pearl studded earrings and my patent leather pumps.
Unless it is really chilly, I don’t often wear my winter coat. But we were going to be out in the evening so thought I better grab a wrap. Picked this silvery Charming Charlie RSVP faux fur car coat (similar, similar) to keep me warm.
Not sure why I look so block-headed!! And check out my fisted left hand. Whoa. Tense much??
We had such a good time. Movie, walk around the mall and dinner. In masks, keeping our socially acceptable distance from everyone. But it was wonderful feeling ‘normal’ for an evening.
Before I call this a post, I want to link up with Joyce for another edition of hodgepodge. My second. On Tuesdays, Joyce publishes the hodgepodge questions for the week. And then shares her answers the next day. I haven’t peeked at the questions until now, as I prepare to answer them. Here we go!
- When were you last a guest at an event or in someone’s home? Tell us about it. Do you enjoy having guests in your own home? We ran by the Lauren’s house last Friday to drop off presents for Camila’s first birthday. Would that count as being a guest in someone’s home? Standing on their front porch? I am not a comfortable hostess. However, I enjoy having family in my home.
- What has you ‘tied up in knots’ currently or recently? Are you any good at tying actual knots? To some I extent, I stay tied up in knots. Note my fisted hand in the photo above. Tend to be a little anxious at all times. Yesterday I was wound up trying to make calls about my mom’s health insurance policy that has lapsed. Today it was the impeachment vote in Congress. Friday, PC has an epidural to relieve his back pain. There’s always something keeping me keyed up. Nope, (k)not good at tying knots. Or bows. But found this video to help me practice.
- What’s something you’ve been wanting to do and have decided 2021 will be the year you ‘take the plunge’? Declutter. Time to part with some things that I love but that are really just gathering dust around my house. Have learned that taking photos of things to remember them helps me let go. Wish me luck. Following Taylor’s Declutter 365 Calendar. Our home is pretty organized but there are little things in every room that could be decluttered. This month we are working on the kitchen. Check out my junk drawer.
- Something in your home that’s old? Something new? Something borrowed? Something blue? My mother’s ring. It was a gift to her upon her high school graduation. An aquamarine, her birthstone for March, in a gold setting. I believe my mom was given the ring in the mid 1940s. Making the ring around 80 years old. I am not exactly borrowing it – Mom gave it to me – making the ring new to me.
- Share a favorite quote, a verse of scripture, and/or a bit of wisdom for couples getting married in this challenging and seemingly unpredictable season we’re currently/still experiencing. Something that has worked well for us is remembering we are on the same team. And it should always be our team that takes priority. PC and I each have 2 children but our families never blended well even before we married. I was a very hands-on single mom who had to learn to put my relationship with my new (married in 2008) husband ahead of that with my young adult daughters. Whenever life causes something to come between us, we try to remember we are on the same team. We have the same goals and dreams for our marriage and life together. When we disagree, I sometimes tell PC I am not the enemy and that we are working toward the same end.
From the Bible
- Genesis 2:18-24
Then the LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper who is just right for him.”19So the LORD God formed from the ground all the wild animals and all the birds of the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would call them, and the man chose a name for each one. 20He gave names to all the livestock, all the birds of the sky, and all the wild animals. But still there was no helper just right for him.21So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep. While the man slept, the LORD God took out one of the man’s ribs and closed up the opening. 22Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib, and he brought her to the man.23“At last!” the man exclaimed. “This one is bone from my bone, and flesh from my flesh! She will be called ‘woman,’ because she was taken from ‘man.’” 24This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one.
- Insert your own random thought here. Looking forward to the 3 day weekend and our forecast temperatures in the low 70s. Would love to have one more snow. We had a surprise snow in October and usually get a dusting in February. But then I say bring on the spring!!
Did you have an excuse to brush your hair and wear shoes this week? Tell me about it!! I have really enjoyed this week at home in my sweats!! But next week I will be going across the mountain to help with my baby girls, so will need to get dressed each day. Might have to open my fashion haus 01.2021 again.
Thank you for coming by, friends. Off to Walmart…
Hugs and kisses,