Sweet quarantine queens, it’s time for my summer 2020 bucket list update 08.2020. A second look at the progress I’ve made on this summer’s activities. Hadn’t been feelin’ much like even looking at this list until the last few days. Not these bucket list activities, nor my wellness goals. But this week I have begun to feel better. Hope it continues.
When I put together this list, we were well into the first wave of Covid. But that wave soon turned into a tsunami of cases here in the Sun City. However, today hospitalizations, patients in ICU, patients on ventilators and deaths are all on the decrease. I am praying we have turned the corner.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Let’s check out the details.
Tried to keep my summer 2020 bucket list Covid-friendly in case things got worse and more limitations were put into place. Which has, unfortunately, been the case in El Paso and across the state of Texas. Always the pessimist. Or, I like to think, the realist.
GOOD FOR THE BODY
- Concentrate on improving arms and abs to earn midriff top and workout pants – oh, please!! PC wants me to buy a midriff top/active wear pants outfit but I want to tone up more before I do. And I have hardly moved in the past month. I should probably give this the big red ❌ right now but maybe a miracle will happen. 🟨 Pending
- Return to working out at the gym – nope. Still letting the germs settle. 🟨 Pending
- Ride scooters or trolley to explore downtown – not yet. This would be such fun but it has just been too darn hot to investigate. The trolley has suspended service, I just discovered. 🟨 Pending
- Run 5 times a week – work on consistency rather than distance. My Prince C. is really struggling again with his back and hips. Some of it I blame on us being very sedentary right now. I am going to have to run without him. And did today. Now to run 5 times a week. 🟨 Pending
GOOD FOR THE HEART
- Dress up date night once a month – we visited 2 restaurants in June but with our increasing Covid numbers, we returned to playing it safe and eating at home. For now, there is no dressing up for date night. 🟨 Pending
- Kiss goodnight after gratitude journal – we are good about completing the gratitude journal every night but the kissing goodnight, not so much. Have begun doing better about this. And have received my new gratitude journal. ✔️
- Patio chats over smoothies – boy howdy, we have really embraced this activity. Been too hot most mornings lately to do this but we are still drinking smoothies over here. Still up to our eyeballs in peaches. Check out some recipe ideas here. Hope to return to time on the patio soon. ✔️
- Start A Year of Us – started completing this book on our anniversary. The first question was “What would be a perfect date with our spouse?” ✔️
GOOD FOR THE MIND
- Complete courses – those on blogging and morning and evening routines, want to investigate becoming a notary. Finished the “Make Over Your Mornings” course with Crystal Paine. Shared my thoughts on it here, for Lauren’s Keeping It Together series. Have purchases the “Make Over Your Evenings” course so will try it, And need to complete the “Genius (?) Bloggers Tool Kit” course. But have been bummed about blogging lately. Should probably write a post about that. Looked into becoming a notary, here. But while I am helping as much as I am with Lucia and Camila, it would be hard to do any other kind of job. Check mark it is. ✔️
- Follow Dave Ramsey’s podcasts – have been listening to these podcasts but most of the folks Ramsey counsels are way over the heads in debt. Thankfully, I am not, we are not. So I am continuing to set money aside, trying to stay off Amazon.com away from Loft, Target and Old Navy. Going to mark this as complete. ✔️
- Mosaic class – registered in the spring, then Covid – Terry was gracious enough to put kits together for me. And Lauren and I are making cactus mosaics together. Terry also showed me her home studio and own art. Swoon!! The top photo are the cactus tiles Lauren and I are working on. We spent time this week working on them together. The other images are pieces Terry has created. Visit her on Etsy at Terry Wright Studio. ✔️
- Summer crafts – banner for the patio, patriotic projects, scrapping, water color and mosaic, of course. I did make a few patriotic crafts for my 4th of July decor. The various blue fabrics are what I am using for my patio banner. Also linked up for Erlene’s July Pinterest Challenge Blog Hop with this seafood salad recipe. Try it on a croissant. So good. ✔️
GOOD FOR THE SOUL
- Begin new Bible study – Completed Grace Changes Everything by Bonnie Hunter with my sister. Started my sweet friend Mary Clewley’s “Cultivate” series from her blog Hope Filled Living. But I have to print the PDFs for “Cultivate” and my printer is on the fritz. So today I ordered The 12 Week Journal for Women’s Prayer & Devotional Bible Study by Shalana Frisby. Have done some of her workbooks in the past and enjoyed them. ✔️
- Find a new gratitude journal – have been using the Choose Gratitude: Blessings Journal by Crystal Paine, who also wrote the morning and evening routine courses above. This is gonna sound crazy but consider the source…I don’t like this journal because I don’t like the cover. True I could see the cover on Amazon when I ordered it. But figured if the inside of the journal was fabulous I could live with the cover. Well, the inside isn’t anything special and I still dislike the cover. Using it anyway but gagging when I reach for it each night. What do you think? ✔️
- Help with food bank or other philanthropy – dropped off Walmart bags at the food bank, donated blood at Ft. Bliss for the soldiers in different theaters around the world. Bought baby things for a grandma who is suddenly caring for her 7 month-old grandson while his mother receives treatment for a brain tumor. The woman’s neighbor asked the northeast El Paso community to help and I am so proud of the response from my NE neighbors. ✔️
- Incorporate Calm.com back into quiet time – have been listening to this app on my way over the mountain in the mornings. Had hoped to incorporate it into my quiet time but I am just trying to do too much then! Would have to start getting up at 4:30 am to squeeze it all in. So going to call this one done. ✔️
JUST PLAIN GOOD
- Birthday celebrations – we have 4 summer birthdays to celebrate in July. Had hoped Brennyn, Mustafa and Cady would be able to come to El Paso for birthday. But with the cases of Covid on the increase here and there, we have had to postpone our plans. So, sadly, this didn’t going to happen. ❌
- Make a new dessert – hello, German sweet chocolate cream pie. Baked up this treat on Tuesday. The house smelled heavenly the rest of the day. ✔️
- Try new grilling recipes – have tried a number of shish kabob recipes and they’ve been a hit! First these steak kabobs with sirloin steak, then these shrimp and sausage kabobs. And a couple of weeks ago, we had smoked sausage, chicken and potato kabobs and Hawaiian chicken and pineapple kabobs. PC is about kabobbed out for the time being. So I am waiting a few days before grilling up some grilled coconut and pineapple sweet chili shrimp kebabs. But I can hardly wait!! ✔️
- Wear maxis at least twice a month – needed to get over feeling like all maxis are formals! And I have done that. Have worn a maxi twice lately. Just for fun. Have recently received this new maxi from Dress Barn. Can’t wait to wear it. ✔️
While there’s still some yellow, there are a number of green check marks sprinkled in. By my count, I have completed 14 out of 20 activities. Not too shabby with a month left in the season to wind things up.
How are you faring on your summer fun list activities? Is life returning to normal in your community? Everyone still wearing a face mask where you live? Would love to hear about your summer accomplishments so far. And your plans for the last month of the season.
As I conclude this summer bucket list update 08.2020, not only am I thinking about finishing the season strong, but I am also looking forward to creating my list for fall. Please accept this invitation to join me for the reveal of our autumn bucket lists on 09.21.2020. It will keep you growing and moving forward during this difficult time when it is easy to become stagnant. When human nature has us just wanting to crawl under the covers until this virus passes.
If you have a summer bucket list update 08.2020 post, please link up with me. We can cheer each other on toward a grand finale!
Enjoy a perfect summer weekend, friends.
Big hugs and kisses,