Sweet readers, thank you for joining me for my winter bucket list: update 01.21.2021. Not a whole lotta progress to report. But there’s still a whole lotta winter left!!
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Now let’s get to it…here’s my subdivided bucket list and progress in each category.
Update 01.21.2021: Winter Bucket List
Hasn’t felt like winter around here. We have had 70*F/21*C afternoons. Grateful my winter bucket list didn’t include all kinds of snow related activities!!
- Desert walks and runs – not going to specify how many I do or how far I go. Just need to get back at it. Haven’t started running yet but was walking in the desert…until women’s panties zip-tied to a half dozen signs started appearing out by where I like to walk. So, plan B. Walking in the living room!! Using Leslie Sansone’s Walk At Home videos. This one is a 3 mile walk. Also, my daughter Brennyn invited me to participate in StepBet with her, and Lauren is doing it with us, too. You can learn more about StepBet here. ✔️
- Implement schedule for using gym equipment – we bought the stuff, now to use it. And we have begun. It has been hard to get a schedule in place with PC’s back issues. But those are better now after his epidural. So here we go!! Not ready to give this a check mark, though. ⏳
- Massage and facial – at least one of each. I’m looking at you, Woodhouse Day Spa. We had a fabulous deep tissue massage several weeks ago. The masseuse had the strongest hands I have ever felt. We were happily sore for days. Now to get a facial. ⏳
- Slow dance on New Year’s Eve – you probably remember that PC is not a dancer. Oh, he can but he won’t dance. Going to force this issue, though!! If not on New Year’s Eve, then shortly afterward. This did not happen. Apparently, I wasn’t forceful enough!! On NYE, I kind of wiggled around in front of PC but he didn’t bite. For now I am going to give this a big red X but if we do accidentally dance between now and 03.21.2021, you’ll be the first to know. ❌
- Holiday light scavenger hunt – might be a good Christmas Eve activity. We didn’t do this formally either. In driving around the little bit we did over the holidays, I noticed the lights we passed but didn’t check them off my scavenger hunt list. Just didn’t feel much like celebrating this past holiday season so this ship has sailed. ❌
- Game night with charcuterie board – PC loves Upwords and I love Pictionary, maybe the kids can even come. We’ve had several game nights. And enjoyed a charcuterie board for dinner just last Sunday evening. But we haven’t done both together. Stay tuned. ⏳
- Craft with Lucia – maybe rock painting or bird feed pinecones. Well, I hadn’t been able to see her until this week and now I am helping with the girls in the morning. Hopeful that I can just have them for a few hours on a weekend so we can do something fun. ⏳
- Work on mosaic – this makes my list season after season. Someday I am going to finish this thing. Not yet. ⏳
- Finish Winter Wonderland paintings – want to finish my second painting and my sister and I are looking at participating in another of Jennifer Chamberlin’s mixed media classes. Finished one Winter Wonderland painting and did this Laundry Day collage with my sister. So.Much.Fun. ✔️
- Return to church– as soon as we feel it is safe, and in the meantime, begin watching online again. Have listened to our online church service once recently. Joined my sister’s Sunday School class on Zoom last week. Need to make this a habit. ⏳
- Read a self-help book – suggestions? Just ordered The Home Edit Life: The No-Guilt Guide to Owning What You Want and Organizing Everything by Clea Shearer and Joanna Teplin. Several gals I follow have mentioned it. And I checked it out of the library to listen to on Overdrive. But have decided it is probably the kind of book I need to hold in my hands to read. ⏳
- Pay it forward – hope to do this in a couple of different ways. Kindercare, where the girls attend ‘school’ had a blanket drive and we contributed. I donated a large box of new and gently loved books to our Little Free Library. And we helped a family that was struggling when we received our stimulus check. Hope to try out some of these great ideas for random acts of kindness, here. ✔️
- Hot chocolate bar or spiced cider – I love my Mexican hot chocolate recipe!! Have you tried it? Check it out here. Would like to make it and try my hand at some spiced cider, too. We haven’t made the hot chocolate yet this year. But we did make Danielle’s spiced cider. It was delicious!! Going to mark this as pending, though, because I want to make hot chocolate, too. ⏳
- Tamale run and tasting – a local AM radio station conducted a poll to find the 10 best places in El Paso for tamales. I want to determine our favorite. ✔️ Oh, my gosh, this was so much FUN. We bought 3 kinds: green chile chicken, red pork and cheese tamales from 4 different restaurants. While all of them were delicious, the tamales from Sabroso were so flavorful, meaty and affordable!! They get the blue ribbon, the estrella oro. ⭐
- Try 3 new recipes – thinking at least one cocktail, one main course and one dessert. Made these white Christmas margaritas. They were really tasty. And just this week, tried a new recipe for pulled pork chili. Yesterday in fact. It was such a hit with the hubs. Hosting a recipe swap and blog hop – Favorite Treats for Your Sweets – on 02.16.2021. Would love to have you join us. Will give myself a check mark here next month. ⏳
- Matching holiday PJs – have wanted to do this with the whole fam for a few years but it hasn’t happened. And it didn’t happen again this year!! We do have matching birthday suits, wink, wink!! 😉 ❌
- Two GYPO winter outfit posts – so many great pieces in the Get Your Pretty On winter capsule wardrobe. Have shared a couple of looks in a couple blog posts, here and here. Hope to do another winter outfit post with my friend Carrie as we revive her Ageless Style series. ✔️
- Styling winter dresses – it’s been so long since I’ve had on a dress!! If nothing else, I want to style some from my fashion haus for the blog. Will make this happen before my next update. At least at home in front of my skinny mirror!! ⏳
So, there you have it…my ‘progress’. Not a lot of green, is there? But I need to remember, it’s not the destination. It’s the journey!!
You’ve read my winter bucket list update 01.21.2021. Now you share yours!! Link up your blog post here.
Or let me know how you are coming along in a comment below.
Off to shower and head over the mountain to help with my babies. It is raining – RAINING – on the desert this morning. A glorious thing! Except it makes me a wee bit nervous to drive when the roads are slick. They are so seldom wet here.
Have yourselves a fabulous day.
Hugs and kisses,