Bienvenidos to My Wellness Journey 06.2021. Had planned to provide a monthly update to the goals I set in January. Except my March update disappeared with my blog post facelift. I did manage to get a post together for April. You can read it here. But then got off track again in May. So what I had planned to be a monthly series has taken on a mind of its own and morphed into a bi-monthly post.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
MY WELLNESS JOURNEY 06.2021
For 3 years, I have journaled about my wellness goals which has helped keep me more accountable. I share them here with you not to say ‘hey, look at what I am doing‘ or ‘not doing’. But to just keep track for myself. And to maybe give you some ideas of activities you might like to try.
As a reminder, I began the year giving myself a 2.5 as a starting score in each category. Anything different indicates a change. Hoping to have all ‘5s’ in every category by the end of 2021.
PHYSICAL HEALTH – 4.0 (UP .5)
- Lose Covid lockdown weight: about 8 pounds depending on how much I have indulged before weigh-in on Saturday mornings. For the record, yesterday I was 143.8 (first part of January). At 136 pounds, my clothes fit so much better. My lowest weight lately as been 139.1 but this morning, after wine and pretzels last night, I weighed in at 142.9. Which is where I was when I last checked in here.
- Workout 4 times a week: we have our video workouts, and our mini-gym in the garage, and warmer weather on the way. I have put together a playlist of video workouts that I have discovered for seniors and fitness beginners. We are doing well at this. Weight training, stretching, sit ups. Have been adding exercises for target areas. Looking at you, inner thighs and lower abs. Pinning those on Pinterest, here, too.
- Walk everyday: video walks in the house for bad weather days, walks in nature when the weather is pleasant. Just successfully completed my fourth StepBet walking challenge. Have walked close to 30 miles every week for 6 weeks. Love getting paid to walk!! You can get paid to walk, too. Check out the pot in the challenge I have just completed. Then go here to learn more.
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH – 3.0 (holding steady)
- Cook meals at home 4x a week: want to do this and track my Weight Watcher points until I get this extra weight off. Continue subscribing to HelloFresh and enjoying their low calorie meals. Yuppers, doing well in this department…at least until this weekend. We have enjoyed Mexican and sub sammies out and plan to try a new neighborhood sushi place tonight. But cooking at least 4x a week. Need to get back to tracking my WW points, though.
- Smoothies: in the mornings. Need some new ingredient ideas to spice things up. We are not drinking these every morning like we were as I explained last update. It’s the sugar from the fruit that influenced my decision to cut back a little. Having 3 smoothies a week lately.
- Alcohol and sweets on weekends: going to be more careful about this again. Behaving pretty well. I look forward to a beer or glass of wine on the weekends. Made these decadent peanut butter cup stuffed brookies a few weeks ago. Oh, and there’s my monthly Dairy Queen blizzard fix. Can we call it a smoothie?
SPIRITUAL HEALTH – 3.0 (holding steady)
- Quiet time: at least M-F, getting up early to do it first thing. Well, out of 43 weekdays in the last 2 months, I did quiet time 25 times. Always room for improvement.
- Bible journaling: a couple of times a month. Learning to enjoy doing this more. That didn’t come out right. I have always enjoyed Bible journaling but not worried about trying to create a masterpiece. Just relishing in another creative outlet.
- Gratitude journaling: every night. Again, pretty consistent with this.
MENTAL HEALTH – 3.5 (Up .5 points)
- Duolingo: food for my brain. Was doing great on this, too…UNTIL I wasn’t. Will get back at it this month.
- Weekly artistic activity – #100DayProject: we choose a creative project, do it every day for 100 days, and share your process online – so going to work on my ever-lovin’ mosaic. And continue scrapbooking, painting, collages. Finished by the #100DayProject by the 05.10.2021 deadline. Recently completed this bicycle collage with Jennifer Chamberlin at Maker Beehive. Just today, registered for the “Altered Food Box Challenge.” If you are looking for a fun, inexpensive crafting experience, check out Jennifer’s online courses. So much fun!!
- Goodreads goal: Meet or exceed my reading goal for 2021. Finally a goal I seem to be excelling at. One book ahead of my 2021 goal!! Yay ME!! Guess what else? My online book club surpassed 100 members this past week with the addition of 5 new readers. Isn’t that fabulous!! Love that I am reading with 102 of my closest friends. We just voted on our July read Our Woman in Moscow by Beatriz Williams. Just finished reading People We Meet On Vacation by Emily Henry (light, fun read). Winding up The Rose Code by Kate Quinn. Have just started The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of September 11, 2001 by Garrett M. Graff, an emotional read as you can imagine. Need to finish up How to Be Yourself: Quiet Your Inner Critic and Rise Above Social Anxiety by Ellen Hendriksen in the next few weeks. Reading Pawcasso by Remi Lai with my granddaughter Cady on Facetime. Also borrowed a few children’s picture books on Juneteenth from the public library including All different now : Juneteenth, the first day of freedom by Angela Johnson.
RELATIONSHIP HEALTH – 3.5 (UP .5)
- Visit family: want to visit Brennyn, Cady and Mustafa desperately; go see my mom and PC’s mom. Loved my Disney trip in March. Visited Mom and my May, my mother-in-law, in April. Returned to visit Mom with Lauren and her family in May. Wonderful visit!! Looking forward to seeing Brennyn, Mustafa and Cady for our beach vacation the end of this month.
- Planned activities with PC: plan purposeful activities and not let weekends come and go without having fun. Here’s one place my bucket lists come in handy. Just shared my summer bucket list a few weeks ago. If you missed that post, please check it out here. Since things have opened back up in our world, we have been patronizing small, local restaurants. Especially those in our part of town. Tried Tsunami Sushi last night…PC’s first sushi experience and he liked it.
- Strengthen relationships with grandbabies: especially need to show love and spend time with Cady on Facetime or phone calls. As I type, we are waiting for the El Paso grands to come for Independence Day BBQ and swim. And have been reading with Cady and visiting with her on Facetime. Can’t wait to have all of them in one place at the beach.
PREVENTATIVE HEALTH MAINTENANCE – 3.0 (up .5 points)
- Monday manis: give myself a manicure every Monday. Did have a mani and pedi before going to see Mom in May. Have fallen off with given myself manis at home. Need to start again. Tomorrow is Monday!!
- Skin care: sunscreen, bedtime complexion routine, occasional facials. Have enjoyed several facials. Doing a little better about using make up removal wipes and my Retinol. Just started using 2 products I learned about through my friend Gail (whose complexion is peaches and cream) at Is This Mutton? Skin food and Cellulite body oil from the Weleda line of skin products. I know that an oil won’t rid me of my cellulite but it does suggest it will minimize the appearance. And my skin is so dry…thinking it can’t hurt, right?
- Routine health care: make appointments for routine checks – dentist, dermatology, mammogram, vision. Tooth and gum issues seem to be resolved. Knock on wood. Had an appointment with a dermatologist for a full body skin scan and the removal of some skin tags. Biopsied several but no problems, thank goodness. Need to check into when I am due for a mammogram and vision check.
FINANCIAL HEALTH – 3.0 (holding steady)
- Continue saving each month: saving a little each month. Yes.
- Save for Christmas, Disney and birthdays: investigate Christmas Club and Vacation Club accounts as well as ways to save for Disney. Opened a Christmas Club account and have been setting a little bit aside in it each month. Might have to dip into it, though, for the birthday beach celebration in July.
- Watch spending: don’t pull the trigger on impulsive purchases. One of my spring bucket list activities was to update my active wear. Done!! I will be sharing a few pieces in July’s ageless style post. Planning to do the same this season with my lingerie and pajamas. Have seen so many of my darling blogger friends wearing adorable, affordable dresses this summer. Was sorely tempted to allow myself to be influenced into buying some, too. But I am trying very hard to be true to myself. And my true self doesn’t have much occasion to wear a dress. So I have resisted. At least to this point!!
Moving in the right direction but still plenty of work to be done. I say as I finish my pretzels and a small glass of wine tonight before bed. But we are starting a new month, and a new week. Back on track tomorrow. Back on track.
How are you progressing on any wellness goals you set for 2021? Hope you will continue to cheer me on my wellness journey. Stay well, my friends.
Don’t forget 10 on the 10th coming up on…you guessed it, the 10th!! We will be sharing 10 favorite summer foods. Grab the graphic and start putting together your list.
Sentence a Day link up is Tuesday, Currently on Wednesday and Where Bloggers Live on Friday. Going to be a busy blog week. Hope you will stop back by!!
Fist bumps and elbow taps,