Welcome to Wellness Wednesday, 03.2019. Linking up with my friend Natalie at Natalie the Explorer and some of my dearest blogging buds for an update on my 2019 wellness goals and some indoor-outdoor fitness tips.
WELLNESS WEDNESDAY, 03.2019: GOALS UPDATE
I shared my wellness goals for the year in January’s Wellness Wednesday post. My goals for 2019 are very similar to those I worked on last year. Hoping to continue the good work I began in 2018.
Here are my goals:
Now let’s check out my progress.
Physical Health – 3.5 (up .5)
Truly getting back to working out longer and more often. We have increased the time we are spending at the gym and getting into the gym more often. And other good things.
- Work back to running 5K (want to run more regularly again) – I have a 5K training routine, here. But I haven’t really focused on distance or speed in my running lately. Mixing things up in my workouts by adding in cycling, elliptical, step and rowing machines. That being said, I did sign up for a 5K in May. Cinco de Mayo, in fact!
- Lift weights (at least 4x a week) – not back up to 4x a week but every time we go to the gym. Averaging about 3 gym visits a week but March has been the best month yet. And we are staying longer at the gym when we do go. Yay, us!
- Walk 7,200 steps a day and 3 stories (build walks back into my daily routine) – so I quit my job. Yeah. And since then, I have walked every day. This week, I am on a roll!
Nutritional Health – 3.5 (holding steady)
- Eat more veggies and fruit (and cook meals at home 4x a week) – my Prince is working away from the castle for 2 weeks this month, so I am using this time to eat better and track my Weight Watchers points. He just left yesterday but so far, so good!
- Drink 75 ounces of water a day (pretty good at this already) – really doing well on this goal.
- Alcohol and sweets on weekends – last month, I indulged in too many Valentine’s M&Ms so fought the temptation to buy green ones for St. Patrick’s Day. Hope I can be that strong again in April when the Easter M&Ms are out. Who am I kidding, they are already out! Had a few glasses of wine while Lauren was here – not only on Saturday.
Spiritual Health – 4.0 (up .5)
- Quiet time 5x a week (M-F, bonus points for the weekend) – still probably averaging 4x a week. Had trouble finding quiet time with little Miss Chatterbox Lucia around last week! Back on track, though.
- Attend church more regularly (at least once a month) – yes! We have been twice together lately and I attended the women’s event, One Sisterhood, and wrote about it here.
- Gratitude journal before bed (got a new journal and got started) – yup, and I ask PC to think of his grateful each night, too. On trying days, it is a struggle sometimes to think of something I am grateful for but that’s when I need to do it most.
Mental Health – 3.5 (holding steady)
- Work puzzles and play word games, practice Spanish (Wordscapes, Word Classic, jigsaw puzzles, Brainscape/Duolingo) – Still enjoying playing Wordscapes, Word Classic and Draw Something on my phone, need a small jigsaw puzzle to work, and need to return to my Spanish language study. So, that is what I wrote in February, and it all still holds true. Haven’t gotten that jigsaw and haven’t worked on my Spanish.
- Weekly art date (do something creative or attend something artsy) – wondering if I bit off more than I can chew with this category. Probably should have been monthly art date but we will see how it goes. Worked on a vision board, put together my spring wheelbarrow, 2-tier tray and decor around the house, did some scrapbooking and Bible journaling.
- Read 3 books a month (yikes) (in order to meet my Goodreads goal) – currently reading It’s Not Supposed to Be This Way; It’s Never too Late to Begin Again and The Library Book. My virtual book club has just begun reading The Wartime Sisters together. And this book has prompted more discussion than most of the others. Would love to have you join us!
Relationship Health – 2.5 (up 2.0)
- Unplug at 9:00 pm – nope. Really want to get a grip on this…she says at 9:34 pm.
- Date night 2x a month (bucket list activities) – enjoyed a nice Valentine’s weekend date, learn more here, and a flopped backwards date. Will put together a backwards date again soon.
- Skype with Brennyn/Cady & Lauren/Lucia (read books to my babies) – read books to Cia while she was here. Really wanting to read what I have written so far on my children’s book to Cady for her critique. Have Skyped a little with both my girls and there girls but would like to focus on reading with them.
Maintaining Health – 3.5 (up .5)
- Use sunscreen on my face daily (moisturizer with SPF) – every single day.
- Floss – using those little toothpick things with the floss on one end and flossing more, too.
- Take vitamins and minerals daily (multi, vitamin B, C, D – LMNOP – flaxseed oil, biotin) – yes, almost every day. Have added probiotics this month. Also, PC and I enjoy 2 Melatonin gummies every night and our quality of sleep has greatly improved.
Financial Health – 2.5 (down .5)
Going to struggle here since I quit my job. Should probably write a post about that. Have to tighten my belt.
- Save money for Christmas – not ready to think about that yet but need to get started.
- Pay off Amazon card – slowly but surely. Haven’t used it but twice in 5 weeks and then only to use my points towards the purchases.
- Have money in my checking account at the end of the month – yes, and saving $10 out of each of my paychecks…baby steps.
My progress is nothing to write home about but the year is young yet.
Indoor-Outdoor Fitness Tips
Our optional theme for this month’s Wellness Wednesday is indoor-outdoor fitness tips. I think one thing I would suggest is using a pedometer, Fitbit, Apple Watch or Samsung Gear Fit to monitor your steps, floors, and track your exercise. Keeping up with your numbers and attaining your step/floor/exercise goals each day is kind of like playing a game. If you don’t have a similar device, I highly recommend that you buy one.
This is the one I have, given to me by my daughters.
Have also heard great things about the Fitbit Alta. I enjoyed the 2 Fitbit fitness trackers I used before receiving my Gear Fit.
Found these great looking bands to dress up my Gear Fit. Ordered a rose gold and a silver band. Feel so fancy now.
Found several articles with ideas for upping your indoor fitness game, Great Ways to Work Out Indoors and 75 Bodyweight Exercises You Can Do At Home. Both articles suggested similar activities like walking upstairs or stepping on a large book (perish the thought), doing a few jumping jacks and squats during your day, a few curls with cans or water bottles. Trying YouTube workout videos like Fitness Blender. Even cleaning house. YES!! Basically just moving!
Pretty much the same goes for outdoor fitness. Move. But outdoors, you get the added benefit of vitamin D and moving through different surroundings and over different terrains. Now that spring is approaching, try to get outdoors more for even just a quick walk around the block. Park farther from the store. Treat the dog to one extra walk a day. Take advantage of daylight saving time and get outside a few minutes before dinner, pull some weeds, take the long way to the mail box, sweep the front stoop, wash the car, water the plants. Check this all-encompassing list, 50 Tips for Taking Fitness Outside, for some more ideas.
Keep things interesting by changing up activities and settings for your workouts, indoors and out. And remember, anything is better than doing nothing.
How are you coming on your new year’s health resolutions or wellness goals? Would love to hear about your progress. You can inspire me with your accomplishments. And if you have a Wellness Wednesday 03.2019 post to share, please link up with us below.
I am now over 2 hours late on my goal of unplugging by 9:00 pm. Didn’t make it to the gym because the weather was atrocious. But did hit my treadmill and went for a walk this morning. Off to bed. Need that beauty sleep, you know.
Hugs and kisses,