Welcome to the first Wellness Wednesday 2019. So glad that my friend Natalie at Natalie the Explorer has continued the Wellness Wednesday series for a second year. I so enjoyed participating in Wellness Wednesday with Natalie last year, and felt like I made some true gains toward a healthier me! Looking forward to continuing the work I did last year in the company of some of my dearest blogging buds.
Today we are sharing our 2019 wellness goals as we begin with a fresh start in the new year. Confession: this first week of January, I have been unwell (upper respiratory infection) moving most sloth-like and indulging in too many sweets. Haven’t darkened the door at the gym since last year (early last week!). Time to get my booty in gear.
Wellness Wednesday, 01.2019: Goals
The goals I set for myself last year were pretty much all encompassing; goals for exercising, diet, staying well in addition to mental, spiritual and relationship wellness. Did so well that I really don’t feel like shaking things up too much for 2019. So at the risk of being redundant, my 2019 wellness goals are going to be a continuation of the work I began in 2018.
Adapted from last year’s goals, here’s what I am striving for in 2019.
- Work back to running 5K (want to run more regularly again)
- Lift weights (at least 4x a week)
- Walk 7,200 steps a day and 3 stories (build walks back into my daily routine)
- Eat more veggies and fruit (and cook meals at home 4x a week)
- Drink 75 ounces of water a day (pretty good at this already)
- Alcohol and sweets on weekends (I’m looking at you cinnamon glazed almonds and white wine)
- Quiet time 5x a week (M-F, bonus points for the weekend)
- Attend church more regularly (at least once a month)
- Gratitude journal before bed (get a new journal and get started)
- Work puzzles and play word games, practice Spanish (Wordscapes, Word Classic, jigsaw puzzles, Brainscape/Duolingo)
- Weekly art date (do something creative or attend something artsy)
- Read 3 books a month (yikes) (in order to meet my Goodreads goal)
- Unplug at 9:00 pm (already a minute late tonight)
- Date night 2x a month (bucket list activities)
- Skype with Brennyn/Cady & Lauren/Lucia (read books to my babies)
- Use sunscreen on my face daily (moisturizer with SPF)
- Floss (why do I hate doing this so much?)
- Take vitamins and minerals daily (multi, vitamin B, C, D – LMNOP – flaxseed oil, biotin)
****Financial Health (added this after reading my friend Dani’s post; meant to add it originally but forgot!)
- Save money for Christmas
- Pay off Amazon card
- Have money in my checking account at the end of the month
Wish me luck! If you want to see how I fared on last year’s goals, hop over here. Because life got crazy in December with my mother’s mental health then physical health issues, I didn’t get to write a year-end post. Hope this year will be better.
A Fresh Start
With the beginning of a new year, a new month, a new week and new day comes the opportunity for a fresh start. A clean slate. So, if 2018 wasn’t a banner year for wellness, we get to try again in 2019. And if we fell off the bandwagon today, we can try again tomorrow. Life is too short to beat ourselves up for missteps or having our cake and eating it, too (on occasion). My rule of thumb is everything in moderation. Oh, and treat others as you would like to be treated.
I looked for some articles with tips to help encourage me as I get back on track after a lazy first week of indulgences. Some of the suggestions include:
- getting a workout buddy (PC)
- hiding the scale (done!) temporarily til you are exercising and eat well again,
- going to bed early (heaven)
- packing your gym bag (or laying out your gym clothes)
- closing the kitchen (permanently?) at a set time each evening
- eating larger meals earlier in the day (can you say McDonald’s Big Breakfast)
Check out these articles for more information: 9 Simple Ways To Start Exercising Again After A Break, 9 Ways to Get Back on Track After the Holiday, How to Get Back on Track After the Holidays.
Now that I have shared my goals with you, it’s your turn. Won’t you share your wellness goals with me. Link-up your wellness blog post with us or share your goals in a comment below. Let’s do this thing together.
And so we can both prepare for future WW posts, here’s a looks at what we will be discussing each month. Grab a pencil!
- January 9: A Fresh Start
- February 13: Healthy Heart
- March 13: Indoor or Outdoor Fitness
- April 10: Healthy Mind
- May 8: The B.E.S.T. Care (BEST is for Breasts, Eyes, Skin and Teeth)
- June 12: Mid-Year Review – How Am I Doing?
- July 10: Family
- August 14: Friends
- September 11: Sleep Hygiene
- October 9: Gratitude
- November 13: Healthy Holidays
- December 11: Year-End Review – What Went Well?
A big thank you to Natalie for hosting this series again in 2019. And thank YOU for encouraging me, supporting me and holding my hand while I lose those stubborn pounds and get back to exercising on a regular basis.