Sweet potatoes, glad you are here for my summer bucket list update 08.2021. Now I am two months into work on this list and have fared pretty well. Check me out!!
UPDATE 08.2021: MY SUMMER BUCKET LIST
Here’s what I have accomplished so far this summer. Some of these check marks were earned before my first update in June.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
- Another new hike – Hueco Tanks or Sitting Bull Falls or maybe we will get to the Tin Mines. This was an activity on my spring list and we did investigate a new hike but not any of the ones I wanted to investigate. So, I am going to try again.
- Skin cancer screening – Have had this on my wellness goals for over a year. It is going to happen this season. Had this done a few weeks ago. And had some skin tags removed and biopsied at the same time. Everything came back all clear.
- Meet and maintain within 2 pounds lifetime Weight Watchers weight – My lifetime weight is 138. I was 139.8 on Saturday. Need to get to 138 and stay there!! Still working on this. Working out better again and tracking my WW points. Stay tuned.
- Beach vacation – South Padre Island; we will be vacationing with family and celebrating all the birthdays together. Gimme that big green checkmark, this is done, son!!
- Balloon fest or water park – Would like to do both of these activities. Hoping Brennyn can come in September and go to the Balloon Fest with us. Thinking Lauren and I can let Cia and Cami play hooky and take the girls to the water park one day. Pending. The balloon fest is early in September while Matt is visiting. Afraid the water parks are probably already closed. With our mask requirements not sure if we’d want to do this anyway.
- Farmer’s market and food truck rodeo in northeast El Paso – If you live in northeast El Paso, you have probably joined me in bemoaning the fact that we have so few activities in our own backyard. The best restaurants and stores are on the east or west sides of town. When I heard we were getting our own farmer’s market out here, I immediately added it to my summer bucket list. Not yet. Maybe while my step-son Matt is here. I think he would like the food trucks.
- Write meaningful blog posts – I have been saying that I want to redirect my blog to my original focus. Life after retirement. And writing. Going to force that to happen by putting it on my bucket list. I was invited to guest post for my blogging friend Leeanne at Cresting the Hill that went live on 08.02.2021. You can read it, here. Then wrote this follow up post on my blog. Now to make this a regular occurrence.
- Game night once a month – Over the winter we had several game nights and really enjoyed them. Want to bring them back. And maybe have a game night in South Padre, too.
- Summer twist for reading club – My online reading club has been going for several years now and we are up to almost 100 members. This summer, I want to jazz things up and try something new with the gang. This is still in the works. Might do a virtual meet up with the gang. Polling members now to see what they would like to do.
- Write one Thankful Thursday post a month – Want to return to joining my friend Rebecca at Knit By God’s Hand for this series. Rebecca Jo has asked me to help cohost this series and I’ve been honored to oblige. Find my most recent Thankful Thursday post, here.
- Start new prayer journal – Bumped from spring. Going to start using the Prayer Journal for Women: 52 Week Scripture, Devotional & Guided Prayer Journal.
- Photo scavenger hunt for summer – Blogging friends Mary-Jo, Ruth and Deb all participate in the summer photo scavenger hunt. I am going to join them. Taking photographs is one way to become more aware in the beauty in the world. You can find the prompts, here. I have started participated in 2 scavenger hunt updates; here’s the latest one. The final update will be 10.01.2021, so you still have time to join us!!
- Share a beach style post – Don’t worry, this won’t be me in a bikini!! But want to share some of the looks I pack for our summer vacation. This didn’t happen exactly like I planned. Had hoped to get some photos of my new summer sundress when we went to eat but things were just too crazy. Bought matching Old Navy tees for everyone, too, thinking we could do a family photo but that wasn’t to be either. Here’s what I wore on the plane, though. Does that count? I think I deserve a check mark for effort. Like my c’est la sea sweatshirt? You can pick up one here, on sale!!
- Purge summer clothes not worn in 2 years – Now that I am volunteering some at the Clothes Closet, I want to donate those warm weather clothes I haven’t worn in a long time. I have purged but I need to get back in there to gather things I haven’t worn this summer or last. Made my first Poshmark sale yesterday. Woo hoo!!
- Update my pajama game – Poor PC. He will appreciate this one. I really need to do better in the pj department. Time to toss the raggedy pajamas and gowns and replace them with something new. I have done some tossing but haven’t replaced the tossed pieces yet. Love the colors and print in this lemon zest short sleep set but that price tag is waaaaaay beyond my means.
- Try new treat – Maybe Teapioca boba tea or Aurora rolling ice cream or Nonotelo gelato. Are any of these nummy things familiar to you?
- Find a new breakfast restaurant – No bright ideas for this activity yet. But I am tired of iHop. Need to find some place to try. Seems like this would be easy but now with Covid raging again, I almost don’t want to go out to eat.
- Try 3 new recipes – Using my air fryer, follow my Pinterest board Air Fryer Foodie and/or using my bread machine, follow my Pinterest board Baking Bread. I have these fancy appliances and need to use them. Did bake a pretty scrumptious loaf of Hawaiian bread lately in the bread machine. Have used my air fryer for French fries, tater tots, butterfly shrimp, etc. Have all the ingredients to make this air fryer cajun shrimp. Maybe this weekend.
Correct me if I’m wrong but by my count I have completed 11 out of 18 activities. More than half with only one month left to go. Can I earn that coveted green check mark for every activity before 09.21.2021 and my last update. We’ll find out.
What have you enjoyed doing to keep yourself active and occupied over the long summer days? Please share in a comment below, or on my blog FB page, here. Or if you have a summer fun blog post, please join the linky party.
Our monsoon season seems to be winding down. PC is hopeful that tomorrow’s baseball game won’t be rained out. He took the afternoon off today and we had a massage and an early dinner out. We have a mask mandate in effect again requiring that we wear masks indoors in public places. I understand but it doesn’t make doing so any less tiresome. The 3 main school districts in the El Paso area are requiring masks be worn by students and staff, too. How are things where you are?
Thank you for running by. Wishing you and yours a healthy, restful weekend.
Hugs and kisses,