hApPy HuMp DaY, fRiEnDs!
It’s that time again. Time for Wellness Wednesday, 08.2019 and healthy friendships. Sharing my goals update and talking about healthy friendships. Linking up with Natalie at Natalie the Explorer and some of our healthiest mutual friends for today’s post.
When the new year began, I came up with these wellness goals for the year. This past month we have continued our Weight Watchers journey we started in May. PC is down over 20 pounds and I fluctuate between a 9 to 11 pound loss. We both feel so much better. Have a look at my month.
Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click a link provided we may receive a very small commission. Thank you for your support!
WELLNESS WEDNESDAY, 08.2019
Shooting for perfect scores in every area. But I still have some work to do.
PHYSICAL HEALTH 5.0 (Holding Steady)
We are riding bikes, swimming, walking, hiking and gym-ing more. Going to give myself a perfect 5 for this goal.
- Work back to running 5K (want to run more regularly again) – Looking for a fall 5K to run. Maybe the 2019 Read A Book Day 1 Mile, 5K, 10K, 13.1, 26.2 on 09.06.2019. Having some issues with my leg so have cut back on running at the gym a little. But I started PT today so hope to have that on the mend soon.
- Lift weights (at least 4x a week) – Every time we hit the gym. On average between 4-5x a week.
- Walk 7,200 steps a day and 3 stories (build walks back into my daily routine) – We kind of slacked off on our bedtime walks when temps rose into the triple digits and have more or less stayed there. Not reaching 7,200 steps everyday as a result. Hope to pick up on the evening walks soon.
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH – 5.0 (Holding Steady)
Keeping this goal a perfect 5.0, too. My lifetime WW weight is 138 so I have surpassed that.
- Eat more veggies and fruit (and cook meals at home 4x a week) – We are eating much better and tracking our activity and food points daily. Still enjoying meals out and desserts now and then.
- Drink 75 ounces of water a day (pretty good at this already) – A habit now.
- Alcohol and sweets on weekends – Really have cut back on the alcohol. Not that I ever drank much but drinking even less now. My sweet tooth is curbed with an occasional chocolate kiss, mint or piece of red licorice.
SPIRITUAL HEALTH – 4.0 (HOLDING STEADY)
Going to keep myself the same here. We are attending church more regularly. But finding it harder to do quiet time now that I am heading over the mountain M-F to help Lauren with Lucia first thing in the morning. PC has been home more with with the change to his job so my days are a little off-schedule.
- Quiet time 5x a week (M-F, bonus points for the weekend) – Struggling with my quiet time now that I am helping with Lucia every weekday morning. And PC is working from home now which has thrown a monkey wrench in my schedule. Reading Renewing the Mind, 2.0 by Casey and Wendy Treat. Really enjoyed hearing Wendy speak at church in March.
- Attend church more regularly (at least once a month) – Yes. The messages on the 2 Sundays since the El Paso shooting have been so good, so helpful, so uplifting.
- Gratitude journal before bed – Almost every night. In June, had mentioned the idea of writing prayers every night. Might try that when I finish with this gratitude journal.
MENTAL HEALTH – 3.5 (HOLDING STEADY)
In May, I deducted a half-point from this category because I never finish anything. I have all of these good intentions and projects going but never finish any of them. In June, I gave myself that half point back again, because I did tie up some projects. My August goals have me striving to complete some other projects.
- Work puzzles and play word games, practice Spanish (Wordscapes, Word Classic, jigsaw puzzles, Brainscape/Duolingo) – Ugh. I feel like my mind is going to mush. Playing some word games and an online drawing game but have done nothing with my Spanish.
- Weekly art date (do something creative or attend something artsy) – Visited the International Art Museum in July. Started work on a paint by number kit that I received in exchange for my review. Check out that post, here and be sure to enter the giveaway for a chance at winning a kit.
- Read 3 books a month (in order to meet my Goodreads goal) – Continuing to make my best progress in this category with my reading. Finished It’s Never too Late to Begin Again by Julia Cameron, finally. Good personal enrichment book. With my virtual book club, read The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary and When All is Said by Anne Griffin. Both books were very good; the former kind of fun and the latter very moving and poignant and thought-provoking. We will begin reading The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren this weekend. Would love to have you join our group! Hollaback, girl, if you are interested!
Would love to have you join our group! Hollaback, girl, if you are interested!
RELATIONSHIP HEALTH – 3.5 (Up .5)
- Unplug at 9:00 pm – Not often. Need to do better about this. It is now 9:34 pm and here I am.
- Date night 2x a month (bucket list activities) – Shared my summer bucket list, here. We finally had that backwards date…post coming…for our anniversary.
- Skype with Brennyn/Cady & Lauren/Lucia (read books to my babies) – Visited Brennyn and Cady in Ft. Worth. And Lauren and Lucia joined us. Read with Cady several times. Lots of playing Barbies, a trip to a water park, several afternoons at the pool and park. Being with my babies in real life beats Skype, hands down.
MAINTAINING HEALTH – 4.0 (Up .5)
- Use sunscreen on my face daily (moisturizer with SPF) – Using a bottle of SPF 47 on my face, and spraying down with sunscreen before going outside for any length of time. Returning to use a product to lighten my sun spots.
- Floss – Ordered the Turewell Cordless Water Flosser today.
- Take vitamins and minerals daily (multi, vitamin B, C, D – LMNOP – flaxseed oil, biotin, magnesium, probiotics) – Added probiotics to the mix about a month ago. Seems to help keep me ‘going’.
FINANCIAL HEALTH – 4.5 (HOLDING STEADY)
- Save money for Christmas – Have begun!
- Pay off Amazon card – Done. Now to work on the Loft card.
- Have money in my checking account at the end of the month – Yes. Not a lot so can’t give you a loan, but yes.
- Looking for a part-time job. Have been helping with Lucia for a little extra money each week. Thinking of looking into VIPKids again. Would be a job I could do from home, as well as when I go out of town. Had applied and was only lacking doing a sample lesson when mom got sick last October.
Aging Well With The Help of Friends
To paraphrase the Beatles, we age better with the help of our friends. The results of a study on the affects of friendship on aging, designed by Michigan State University psychology professor William J. Chopik, support that theory. According to this article in “Psychology Today,”:
…valuing your immediate family is good for your health and happiness at any age. But the older you become, the more important it is to have strong friendships. You’re happier and healthier when they’re happy–and you’re more likely to be sick when you don’t value friendship or your friendships are in trouble.
Over the years, much research shows, your friends influence your happiness and habits—whether you’ll smoke or drink, work out, stay thin or become obese. The new research found that the importance of friendship increases with age. This works both ways—quarrels with friends, it suggests, are tied to chronic health problems. The key is to keep friendships in good order. You may need to repair, or replace, friendships as you age.
Interestingly, the impact of strong family relationships remains the same throughout life, though. And “strain with family, surprisingly, wasn’t tied to more illness.”
So, What’s an Introvert to Do?
As we left church last Sunday, I told PC I would like to find a couple with similar likes and interests with whom we could play Pictionary. Playing Pictionary is on my summer bucket list and it didn’t happen in Ft. Worth as I had hoped. So now we need to make it happen here. But it’s hard to play any game other than chess, checkers and backgammon just the 2 of us. My Prince said we would find a couple and get together with them, and then the woman would say something I thought was out of line, catty, hurtful. And that would be the end of our friendship. He knows all too well my experiences with women/friends. Sadly.
Friendships require nurturing and commitment, too. I can hardly keep up with all the demands of my family. Not sure this introvert would be a very good friend. Yet, now that I am retired, I miss having regular contact with the gals, the colleagues I worked with. Didn’t feel like I needed friends away from work because I spent 8 hours a day, 5 days a week with a gaggle of girls.
You know how I don’t believe in coincidences, right? Well, today when I turned on the computer, this post from Proverbs 31 Ministries about our need for IRL friends popped onto my screen. Divine intervention? Even the Bible verse of the day spoke to the importance of real life healthy friendships.
Proverbs 27:10 The Message (MSG)
10 Don’t leave your friends or your parents’ friends
and run home to your family when things get rough;
Better a nearby friend than a distant family.
So, I am looking for a real life friend here in El Paso who I can shop with, who can join me for Bible studies, hikes, the occasional lunch. Anyone interested?
How are you coming on this year’s wellness journey? Did you have any significant gains or losses this month? PC and I are both scared we are going to slip into our familiar hibernation mode with the first freeze. Hope we can encourage each other to keep working out and eating well.
If you have a wellness post to link-up with us, click below and then be sure to visit some of the others linking up with us this month. And if you’d like to join us for Wellness Wednesday the rest of the year, here are the optional prompts we will be addressing along with updates on our goals progress.
- September 11: Sleep Hygiene
- October 9: Gratitude
- November 13: Healthy Holidays
- December 11: Year-End Review – What Went Well?
Hoping you are well, happy and knee deep in healthy friendships! Planning a Thankful Thursday post for tomorrow. If you have a second, would love to have you stop by.
Hugs and kisses,