Welcome, chums to Sentence a Day 04.2023 – my monthly review of life in one run-on sentence a day. Today I am bringing you my sentences from April. Not my best month ever but eh, we survived.
SENTENCE A DAY- OGT 2023
As always, want to give a big thanks to Rebecca Jo at Knit by God’s Hand for creating this series. This year, Rebecca is starting something that goes with SaD, she says it combines both. A thankful month idea – where every day, she will post a blessing, a gratitude for that day. And those posts will go live on the first Thursday of each month. Can’t believe I am on time this month!!
For each of my daily entries, you will see OGT after the date for that (looooooong) sentence. OGT = one good thing. And I am following Rebecca’s good lead by including one good thing I am grateful for each day.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links which are usually italicized. If you click or make a purchase from an italicized link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Sentence a Day 04.2023
And away we go…
- Warm, sunny Saturday and the first day of ‘gymanastic’ as Cami says; she was not impressed with the first few minutes of class where the teacher had them clapping their hands on the floor between their spread legs; she kept pointing at that balance beams and parallel bars!!; finally class picked up and she was doing somersaults and flips on the bar; Cia was more timid but did well on the balance beam and bar, too; brought the girls home and we had a big time making lollipop bunnies, watering the flowers and playing in the resulting mud; met Lauren at the top of the mountain to return her daughters; watched NCAA final four. 04.01.2023 OGT: having basketball to watch
- Church message was encouraging; breakfast at a new to us restaurant La Coa by Good Coffee; I had mole enchiladas with eggs fried hard on top, hashbrowns and beans and Paul had a Mexican omelet; home to watch Reds baseball (PC) and work on the pretty in pink bouquet and got it finished, very happy with it; Supernatural workout; reading 30 minutes before bed for the St. Jude reading challenge. 04.02.2023 OGT: trying something new
Getting Things Done
- So proud of us today, up early to do my quiet time, then an arm workout and sit-ups (not again the rest of the week…waaaaaa!); the roof is finished and passed inspection; the wind is forecasted to be so strong that the pool people won’t be able to work until Friday; called for appointment for Purrsimmony but none of the vets give appointments so decided I will take her to the vet clinic where both Bren and Lauren worked, and I help out some, tomorrow morning; did laundry, ran on the treadmill, Supernatural; crockpot Alfredo soup for dinner; basketball championship game before bed. 04.03.2023 OGT: getting up early to work out and do quiet time
Prayers for Purrsimmony
- Up early and out the door with Sim before 7:30 am; had to wait about 45 minutes before the clinic opened its doors; had sedated Sim before we left home and was so worried it would wear off before she was seen; finally called into an exam room, everyone was so good with her; took her back for X-rays that show what looks like a mass on or beside her spleen, and a lot of fat or fluid pushing all of her intestines to the left side of her spinal cord; sending the images to a radiologist for further examination; Sim was very quiet and still all day once we got home, didn’t eat; I snuggled her through tear-filled eyes; leftover soup for supper, went to be so sad. 04.04.2023 OGT: the care Simmie received was so gentle
- Quiet time after getting PC off to work; carried Sim upstairs and put her beside me in bed; over the mountain for Wellness Walk at Lundy, picked up Cami (home with croup) and Lauren for the walk; a number of the babies whose parents couldn’t come were in tears missing their mom or dad; we had an entourage that walked then played with us; Cami, Lauren and I had lunch at McD’s; picked up food for our Easter meal at Walmart; as I drove home PC called to say the veterinary radiologist determined that the concerning mass at Sim’s spleen was just the spleen doubled over itself because kitty is CHUBBY!!; no sign of cancer; PTL, hallelujah…we were encouraged to put Sim on a diet, to try to get her to move more and to return with her for steroids if her respiratory issues return; scrapbooked with my sister – starting on Declan’s birth; tomato soup and grilled cheese for dinner. o4.05.2023 OGT: Sim is cancer-free, Easter-birthday blessing
HBD a Mi
- Happy birthday to me!! 65…time flies…well celebrated and loved with many sweet birthday wishes on Facebook, texts, flowers, chocolate covered strawberries, a box of goodies from my BFF Sharon; picked up Cami so Lauren could work and we played until after lunch when I took her home for nap; cleaned house; scrapped a minute with Valerie; dinner at a new to us restaurant Lapa Lapa with drinks and a fried calamari appetizer, shrimp ceviche for dinner; “Ted Lasso” before bed. 04.06.2023 OGT: I have survived another trip around the sun
- Awoke to voices in the backyard as plastering began on the pool; fixed a smoothie for each of us; did a Supernatural workout; took my Versona gift card from PC to purchase the cutest southwest-flavored kimono, bag, earrings and crocheted cardigan that had caught Paul’s eye when he bought the gift card; Jason’s Deli for lunch; home to watch the Reds game and start filling the pool with water; turkey burgers with Swiss cheese and mushrooms for dinner. 04.07.2023 OGT: our pool is almost ready
- Skipped PC’s game and baked cinnamon rolls and orange rolls for Easter; ran on the treadmill; worked a few minutes on my scrapbook pages of Declan’s birth; somehow our Firestick just gave up the ghost and poor PC spent a lot of time trying to get our new one up and running; baked my birthday carrot cake and it absolutely fell apart when I took it out of the pan – looks awful – I tried to ice it then PC tried to ice it some more but a gallon of icing couldn’t fix this cake!! 04.08.2023 OGT: mad at my cake but finally got a kick out of it when all was said and done
- Easter Sunday – so glad God is on our side; church – what a crowd; home to start cooking ham, cheese mashed potatoes, baked beans, new corn recipe, sweet potatoes; we ate as soon as the kids arrived about 1:30 pm; then looked for Easter eggs in the backyard; all of us played ‘store’ with the girls in the living room, then they played with slime while we all digested; birthday cake, cinnamon rolls and orange rolls for dessert; we watched the Reds game on rewind then I watched The Stepmom Trial on YouTube before bed. 04.09.2023 OGT: playing with the babies
An entire week of not writing sentences…because my blog posts won’t save!!!
- Finally the day to meet with the urologist about Paul’s treatment plan; he went to work in the morning and I started laundry; had leftover ham and Easter dinner for lunch; doctor’s appointment at 1:20; surgery to remove PC’s prostate the end of May or early June; stopped a Lowe’s for plants, Drain-o; something to block water from sprinklers hitting the pillars on the patio; Chipotle for dinner; tired tonight. 04.10.2023 OGT: a plan for attacking PC’s cancer
Walking on Sunshine
- Up early for arm workout and quiet time; ran to Walmart for hashbrowns for my Crockstar potato soup; finished laundry; met with Nickyee to pay the final payment on the pool – hallelujah!!; cleaned a little on our closet, organizing PC’s shoes; pap smear results were normal; walked around the block in the sunshine; potato soup was tasty; popcorn for bedtime snack. 04.11.2023 OGT: being in the sunshine
- Busy bee in the yard today; so enjoy being outside in this pretty weather when it isn’t blowing a gale; trimmed the Mexican elder and discovered a nest with 3 blue eggs; mowed the front and side yard – afraid to mow the backyard until we are able to use the pool cleaner in the pool; put down clover seed and then topsoil on the westside of the house – hoping it fills in the bare, shaded areas; planted 4 plants; started the ironing but so hot to iron; watched the stepmom trial; set out yeast for making bread tomorrow; leftover potato soup for supper; Supernatural workout before bed. 04.12.2023 OGT: working in the sunshine
- Up early for a weight workout and sit-ups; ran to Dollar Tree for thank you notes; had cool drinks at Starbucks with Vita, where she talked about the struggles her husband George has had in his 5-year fight against prostate cancer – so sad; picked up some plants at Lowe’s; home to fix pot roast in the crockpot and homemade bread while Facetiming with my sissy; then planted the veggie seeds in my raised beds; ironed the last of the clothes; ran on the treadmill; picked up Lucia and Cami at Kindcare and took them to the spider park (as they call it) with the rope jungle gym – we played and swung on the swings; home for dinner, baths before taking them to the top of the mountain to meet their parents. 04.13.2023 OGT: hopefulness of planting
- Friday: slept all night through, thought our alarm was the kitties crying for breakfast; got PC out the door; worked in the yard for a bit; watering, planting one last flower in a poolside pot; finished my Where Bloggers Live post and then it wouldn’t save or publish…had to hold my mouth just write to get things to finally work; edited our wills; ran 1.6 miles on treadmill; set out our new solar lights to charge; scrapbooked with Valerie; got ready for dinner out with David and Davette at Cattle Baron – really nice time, lots of laughing; home to bed. 04.14.2023 OGT: dinner with friends
We’re a Good Team
- Saturday and the beginning of a good weekend; walked around the lake before PC’s ballgame; they didn’t lose too badly and Paul had a beautiful hit to the outfield fence and some great catches; planned to go see “His Only Son” but the times were wrong online and the movie wasn’t offered over the weekend; picked up Taco Bell for a late lunch; worked in the yard and around the pool putting out solar lights; love how it all looks; very tired tonight but a good tired. 04.15.2023 OGT: working together on our yard
- Sunday morning church, wore a white top for my Ageless Style outfit – hope to share in a post if my blog/LIFE cooperate; had breakfast at a new to us cafe, Lucy’s where PC had machaca and I had chilangas; home to watch the Reds game then worked in the yard again; mowed the backyard, put outdoor carpets under the patio furniture; cleaned the BBQ grill; took a walk around the park; leftover breakfast for dinner; worked on blog posts before bed. 04.16.2023 OGT: working around the house together
All Over the Place
- Monday…usually one of my favorite days of the week but I am all over the place lately; hope to get back on track…how often do I say that?; girls dressed for fiesta day at school; got the laundry done, a cursory cleaning of the upstairs but time to dig into spring cleaning as I never finished it when I started in the summer – or whenever it was; worked on a scrapbook page; fixed chicken fried steak for dinner with mashed potatoes and corn on the cob; starting watching “The Good Place” – kind of cute. 04.17.2023 OGT: slept well
- Up early for quiet time and to do a weight workout for our arms; took a quick walk around the block before packing PC’s lunch and making his smoothie; sat down to blog read once he was gone and next thing I knew it was 10 am; ran on the treadmill; cleaned out the china-(less) cabinet and the cabinets where I have my pots and pans, dishes and glasses; filled 2 boxes for our yard sale; showered and dressed and ran to Ft. Bliss for my government ID appointment only to learn that I don’t need a new one after all; dropped off Wills, POAs and Medical Directives to the lawyer to corrected; stopped in Hobby Lobby for some frames for Cami’s latest school pics; dropped off the shoes Cia left at our house last week; Lauren gave us 2 Hello Fresh meal kits, made one for dinner; Supernatural workout; blog reading before bed. 04.18.2023 OGT: didn’t need a new ID – didn’t have to sit there for another 3 hours
- Turned off the alarm for quiet time but did it as soon as PC got off to work; then started back in on the kitchen purging and spring cleaning; have filled 3 boxes with stuff to sell at our yard sale; cleaned and organized all the cabinets; cleaned the oven; listened to the stepmom trial while scrubbing; Chipotle for supper and Supernatural workout afterward; jammed my finger when I hit it on the coffee table during my workout; hope to finish the kitchen tomorrow and take time to write. 04.19.2023 OGT: spring cleaning has begun
- More work on the kitchen all day; treadmill run; did a very little bit of writing and reading for quiet time; cleaned the refrigerator; wiped down all of the cabinets with Murphy’s oil soap; made a Hello Fresh meatloaf from a kit that Lauren gave us; the kitchen looks terrific; now to get the rest of the house all tidied up. 04.20.2023 OGT: kitchen is *almost* finished
Baseball and More Baseball
- PC’s Friday off; first order of business was trying to get Paul’s EKG but no luck, we didn’t have the right paperwork; lunch at the food court at the PX; commissary grocery shopping; put up the groceries; did a Supernatural workout; got dressed to go to George and Vita’s grandson’s baseball game; visited with Davette, David, George and Vita; fell into bed. 04.21.2023 OGT: cheering on Noah at the game
- Out the door early for PC’s ballgame; I walked around the lake with my friend and fellow baseball wife, Bea; watched about 2 innings of the game; across town for the girls’ gymnastics; stopped at Hobby Lobby to get some scrapbook paper for my sister’s bday; home for a bite of lunch and then a nap – my eyes bothered me so much after the walk around the lake; met Lauren and fam at El Charlatan in Socorro for a unique dinner of Korean-Mexican food; nice atmosphere, good time; stopped by the Socorro mission on our way home; fell into bed. 04.22.2023 OGT: new restaurant with family
OfferUp and New Worries
- Hectic Sunday; skipped church to get things done around the house; helped Paul hang a sail over the top of the pergola to try to keep the leaves from the neighbor’s trees out of the pool and hot tub; cleaned the coat closet which is really where our trash cans are, and where I keep the board games; transplanted my Christmas cactus; scrapbooked a minute with my sister; cleaned up the baby stroller and car seat to list on OfferUp; Paul worked on 2 sprinkler heads that are giving us trouble; Matt is off his meds and sounds very worrisome; brats, fries in the air fryer, salad for dinner; can finally get back in my AppleTV account = after weeks = and watched Ted Lasso before bed. 04.23.2023 OGT: working together with Paul to accomplish things
- Between loads of laundry, I finished up the kitchen spring cleaning, up and down on the step ladder to wipe the cabinets with lemon oil; cleaned fridge; listened to the stepmom trial as I started on den spring cleaning, washed throw pillows, curtains, cleaned furniture and pet beds; leftover HelloFresh for dinner; plants are growing in my garden!! 04.24.2023 OGT: sense of accomplishment
- Struggling…with writing sentences and focusing; my step-son Matt is having more mental health issues after going off his medication; we don’t know how to help but he has now lost what was a very good job; accompanied PC to a doctor appointment with my doctor; then to UMC for an EKG, stopped at the library, picked up my previous bone density test results for comparison to the test I will have in May; Paul worked on sprinklers, I finished laundry, we are both exhausted. 04.25.2023 OGT: medical technology
Spring Cleaning Continues
- Got in lots of steps, horizontally and vertically, as the spring cleaning continues; moved into the living and dining room; cleaned wood furniture with Murphy wood soap; moved furniture to clean underneath; washed windows in den, kitchen, dining room and living room – used this glass spray – great stuff: cleaned off deck around the pool; listened to the stepmom trial on YouTube; fixed this pulled pork chili for supper; Supernatural workout after we ate; watched “Ted Lasso” before bed; created the book summaries for the book club’s May read. 04.26.2023 OGT: clean windows
Book Club Boss
- Another big step day…and lots accomplished on the spring cleaning; cleaned leather furniture in the den, upholstered furniture in the living room, oiled the dining table and chairs, end table and coffee table in the living room, vacuumed, cleaned the area rugs in the den and living room; ran 1.6 miles on the treadmill; scrapbooked a half a minute with Valerie; sent out book summaries to the book club; made Cajun chicken and pasta; sold one of my baby items on OfferUp. 04.27.2023 OGT: my clean house
Over the Mountain
- Over the mountain early to supposedly meet someone interested in buying the baby bassinet in the westside Target parking lot but they were a disappointing no-show; shopped a few minutes in Target, dropped off some old, favorite earrings at Nayda’s for a facelift; cleaned laundry room, closet under the stairs – our downstairs guest room is full of things for our upcoming yard sale; scrapbooked with my sister; leftover chili and cajun chicken and pasta for dinner; PC went to Noah’s baseball game, I stayed home out of the wind; sold a baby walker through OfferUp. 04.28.2023 OGT: another baby item sale
- Over the mountain again this morning to drop off my car to be washed at the car dealer; grabbed coffee and sweet bread there, too; watched the girls at ‘gymnastic’ – they were tickled to have Campa come; KFC for lunch; walked around the outlet mall; scored these girlfriend chino utility pants on sale at Banana Republic Factory and some new Bath and Body Works plug-ins for spring; home to scrapbook with my sister while Paul watched the Reds’ game; Facetimed with Bren, Cady and Dec; charcuterie for dinner; watched the stepmom trial before bed. 04.29.2023 OGT: laughing at gymnastics
- PC was up in the middle of the night when he thought he heard something outside; I always worry that maybe Matt is going to show up unannounced when he is off his meds; we overslept for church so just started in on our day; I made these baked jalapeño poppers, baked beans, broccoli and cheese sauce, brats and burgers, and churro bites; the kids arrived about 3:00 pm to swim; water was really nice, can’t wait to swim laps; we ate about 5:30, I helped with baths before they headed home. 04.30.2023 OGT: first swim of the season
Seriously, can you believe April has come and gone? These days and weeks and months just fly by anymore. We are anxious to get PC’s surgery behind us the last day of May so he can begin healing. Recovering. Living without this cloud overhead.
Here’s my month in review in 1 Second Each Day.
What I Wore this Month
Have kind of moved away from sharing my outfits lately. Never felt very comfortable doing so. But that’s ok because I had never planned to be a fashion blogger anyway. Good thing, huh?? However, just to prove to myself and you that I don’t wear stretchy pants exclusively, I thought I would create a little collage of my other looks in April.
Hope to have that bathing suit on a whole lot this spring and summer!! Representing these retailers:
- Old Navy brown plaid dress, thrifted Jessican Simpson white denim jacket
- Loft jeans, Amazon green top, Lucky Brand leather jacket
- Versona kimono, Target orange tee, Old Navy olive jeans
- JCPenny faux leather chamois-colored skirt, bejeweled H&M white sweater
- Old Navy olive cardigan, Loft aqua tee, Old Navy embroidered denim jeans
- Jessica Simpson white denim jacket, Old Navy plaid dress
- Old Navy color block cardi, Yankees tee from Amazon (for the El Paso Yankees not the NY Yankees)
- Miraclesuit black swimdress – big splurge for me
- Topspink western tee, Old Navy skinny jeans
2023 WOTY Update: Consistent
Not a whole lot to report in this department. I did win my StepBet. That’s something, right? Walked about 24 miles a week. Won $7.49. Looking for another one to sign up for because participating really keeps me walking. So today, I am celebrating this bit of success.
Was your April more smiles or tears? Maybe somewhere in between?? What plans do you have for this shiny new month of May?? Wishing you a warm, sunny weekend spent with your favorite folks. We are headed on a little road trip to watch PC’s friend George’s grandson play baseball in the Texas high school championship series in the thriving metropolis of Monahans, Texas!!
Thanks so much for popping in to visit.
Hugs and kisses,
Sounds like a pretty good month. Congrats on beating your step bet. Always good to have something to work towards.
Jessica A Jannenga
Boy, I’ve been a bad blog friend. I find it a challenge to keep up with IG and the blog comments some days. YOu had a very busy month! I thought when you wrote OGT- it meant on God’s Terms! I like that- one good thing. Thats a way or perspective of looking at things in a positive manner. Love that you have the outside pool area done and wow, I would be out there everyday. I enjoyed seeing your outfits, I just got some extra high waisted jeans from ON. Thank Goodness, and for prayers that your kitty didn’t have cancer. I am sure it was scary. Sounds like you have plans for hubby’s health as well. We have to go buy flowers and plants but are waiting until after our May trip.
Wishing PC all the best with his surgery! It sounds like such a busy month and yay you with all that spring cleaning.
Leslie Roberts Clingan
Thank you!! We are anxious to get PC’s surgery behind us and the recovery underway. I have lost steam on the spring cleaning but tomorrow is the beginning of a new week. And maybe I will get reenergized!!
Happy birthday to a fabulous woman.
It’s so hard when our pets aren’t feeling well, isn’t it? Have you ever looked into a mobile vet? We just love having that available for our kitties so it isn’t so stressful to get them there.
Leslie Roberts Clingan
Thank you, sweet, clever woman!!
I have taken Sim and Snick to the mobile vet but they couldn’t find anything wrong. So I kept taking her to other vets. I guess she really isn’t sick because no one could find anything wrong. Ha!! Which is wonderful. But she just doesn’t seem or look right. Of course, I don’t have a degree in veterinary medicine so there’s that!!
I just love seeing these peeks into your life and your beautiful grandchildren! I’m glad all that pool stuff is behind you and you can thoroughly enjoy it this summer!
Leslie Roberts Clingan
Thank you so much!! We climbed into the pool today in our wet suits…the water was only 72*!! Yikes. But I know summer is on its way. The grandbabies came over to swim last weekend. Hope it is the first of many swims to come this summer.
Happy belated birthday Leslie! And good news about Sim. Its so stressful when our beloved pets are not okay. Enjoy your weekend.
Leslie Roberts Clingan
Thank you, Nancy. My sweet Sim still doesn’t seem ‘right’ but I am hoping all the veterinarians know what they are talking about. In the meantime, I am loving her a lot and praying she isn’t in pain.
Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom
Ohh I am so glad Sim doesn’t have cancer. I can’t remember if I told you or not, but Brian’s kitty Rose has cancer. It is on her spleen. She’s been acting normal, but they gave her about a year to live. She has a lot of kidney issues, so they couldn’t do any surgery to remove it. I didn’t know the spleen could double over itself! Wow! But, what a blessing it isn’t cancer. Your granddaughters are so, so precious! I love the photos of them. We just got our roof done last week! Those eggs are so pretty, what a surprise to find in the yard. We had a bird trying to build a nest on our BBQ grill tank and we had to move it. No eggs were in it yet.
Leslie Roberts Clingan
We have had so many similarities lately!! I remember seeing Rose in a picture this weekend!! So sorry she has cancer. But glad she is still acting normal. Sim still doesn’t seem right to me. She just looks huge. And her skin tags are getting bigger. But no one can find anything wrong. I am just loving her and praying that she isn’t hurting.
Happy belated birthday, my friend! So glad Pursimmony is just voluptuous! And, even better that you have a plan for PC. Your grands in their fiesta wear look darling! Yay, Reds! I think you need a long term visitor to truly break in the pool…hint, hint! And, all your meals sound yummy! Not a response per sentence, but a few!
Leslie Roberts Clingan
Thank you!! You have a standing invitation to come for a swim. We just climbed out of the pool now. The water was FREEZING even in our wet suits. We have had a late spring and I guess summer is taking its time, too.
What a month! I love seeing all the pictures of the grands, they are adorable. I do hope your step son Matt is able to get back on hid meds, it’s scary. Your pool looks amazing and so inviting!
Happy belated birthday my friend!