Wellness sisters, welcome! Third Sunday of the month means it’s time for Wellness Weekend 04.2020. Sharing an update on my wellness goals and talking a little bit about water sport. This time last month, we were just getting started with the stay at home restrictions. In March’s post, I updated my wellness goals and talked about springing forward. If you missed that post, click here to read it. Then let’s see how I’ve done in the past 4 weeks toward improving my wellness. Still aiming for all 5s by the year’s end.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Wellness Weekend 04.2020 Goals Update
It’s been a crazy 4 weeks. Here’s where we are this month.
PHYSICAL HEALTH – 2.5 (DOWN .5)
- Stretch and work out 4x a week , Weight Watchers to maintain weight – What can I say other than…COVID-19. We are enjoying these very do-able HASfit workout videos, that’s something, right? There are over 1,000 to choose from!! But Weight Watchers? NOT.
- Get 7200 steps and 3 floors a day – actually doing well at this. My daughters and sons-in-law gave me a new fitness tracker. I loved my old fitness tracker and wore it so much that the bands finally wore out and wouldn’t stay on. This new one is even nicer. Have upped my steps to 7500 and my floors to 5.
- Walk in nature for 30 minutes a day, 5x a week – yup, back to walking more often. We have combined walking and jogging and are venturing out into the desert for both. Here I am on Friday in my EP visor and the view from that morning’s walk.
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH – 4.0 (HOLDING STEADY)
- Cook meals at home 4x a week – in this case, Covid-19 is helping me achieve a goal. Restaurants and bars are closed here as of 04.01.2020, with the exception of pick-up or drive through. Did just discover one of our favorite mom and pop Mexican restaurants is offering pick-up. Thinking I might hit up PC to get it for dinner on Saturday.
- Eat 1 fruit and 1 veggie every day (sad, I know) – hard to keep fresh produce on hand. I am shopping only every 10 days or so, and not picking up a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables.
- Indulge in alcohol and sweets on weekends – well…have had 2 DQ Blizzards but didn’t finish the last one! Overall, doing pretty well on this. Oh, there was my German chocolate birthday cake. And this coconut cheesecake cream pie I will be making this weekend for my upcoming spring recipe swap and blog hop. Come join us!!
SPIRITUAL HEALTH – 3.5 (HOLDING STEADY)
- Develop a morning routine M-F – one of the weekly themes for the 52 week organized home challenge 2020 I am following is finding a morning and evening routine. With my PC working from home these days, my routine has fallen by the wayside. Looking into creating a Covid-19 morning routine for the time being. Anyone have experience with Google Keep or Samsung Notes (both get 4.4 out of 5 stars on Google Play)? Also thinking of checking out Make Over Your Mornings/Evenings.
- Enjoy quiet time M-F (devotional, writing, reading, moment of silence and prayer) – yes. Have been hitting snooze every morning, using that 10 minutes to remember my blessings and say my prayers. Reading my way through Vertical Marriage, Present over Perfect and Embraced: 100 Devotions to Know God is Holding You Close.
- Use aroma therapy during my morning routine – yuppers, using a diffuser when I do Bible study in the loft. Just need to get back into my loft more often.
MENTAL HEALTH – 3.0 (DOWN .5)
- Get dressed every day (not active wear), wear a dress or skirt to church – oh, dear. Negative on this one. Wearing active wear almost exclusively except on the days I venture out, with my mask, to grocery shop. There was a day, before the stay at home order went into effect, where I posed in the poppies, here.
- Weekly artistic activity; word games, journal – playing word games, journaling, and scrapbooking with my sister. Hoping to get some rocks painted in the coming week to satisfy an activity on my spring bucket list. Stay tuned for an update to my progress on this season’s list coming out on 04.21.2020.
- Read 3 books a month in order to meet my Goodreads goal (are we friends on Goodreads yet?) – and Covid-19 strikes again. Have a new goal of visiting the public library once a month. But the libraries are now closed. Just finished The Dressmaker’s Gift by Fiona Valpy. Feeling particularly energetic (or having more free time all of a sudden?) my online book club decided to read 2 books this month. Recipe for a Perfect Wife by Karma Brown and Pearls of Wisdom by Barbara Bush. Come read with me!!
RELATIONSHIP HEALTH – 3.0 (Down .5)
- Unplug at 8:30 pm, implement evening routine – have just gotten better at this. Hope to have a great report for you in this area next month.
- Date night with PC 2x a month (bucket list activities) – since the stay at home restrictions were implemented, our dating life has slowed down considerably. A few restrictions are being lifted in the coming week so I am excited at the prospect of maybe enjoying a picnic at Hueco Tanks State Park.
- Me time, develop friendships, take a class or do something for myself – once upon a time I was playing pickleball, had registered for two 5K races (one canceled, one postponed til fall), had signed up for a mosaic class hosted by a gal who also plays pickleball. But none of that has been possible, of course. Hope to get back at it all soon.
PREVENTATIVE HEALTH MAINTENANCE -3.0 (Down 1.0)
- Improved skin care, routine facials – before Covid, I was looking into a 6-Minute Cryo Facial Rejuvenation: “cold air blast” using our cold air localized device. Ideal to improve skin complexion, reduce blemishes and increase skin elasticity, $35.00. [source] Need to pull out my facial brush and DIY-it for now.
- Weekly dry brushing – continuing several times a week. Finally, finally something unaffected by Covid.
- Regular manicures – yes, had 4 professional manis then decided to take a break as my nails were thin and stressed from the gel polish. And then Covid. My nails and cuticles look so raggedy. Need to try to do a mani myself.
FINANCIAL HEALTH – 3.0 (DOWN .5)
- Continue saving each month – opened a teensy baby money market account, and have made a monthly deposits, bought a teensy baby bit of stock using Robinhood.
- Save for birthdays and Christmas – saving a little each month.
- Keep spending under control – well…let me ‘splain. I haven’t been able to go to the outlet mall so have been doing a bit of online shopping from my recliner. Bought these desert colored high-waisted camo Rockstar super skinny jeans, these lace-up leopard print tennies, and this pink open front sweater all from Old Navy. Jesse at Elegantly Dressed and Stylish inspired me with this look. Which meant I had to order a camo skirt. This one, to be exact. Need to plan some posts from my fashion haus real soon.
Wonder what the coming 4 weeks will bring? Hopefully, a return to normal or steps in that direction, at least.
Our optional theme this month is water sport. As you know, we have a pool that has been problematic since the day they broke ground on it. But this year, we are hoping to focus on enjoying the water, the exercise it provides, and not the 30+ cracks in the deck and the rust stain that has shown up along the wall at one end.
I try to swim laps but according to this article by Shape.com, there are a number of water exercises I could be doing as an alternative to swimming. The only equipment needed is a kickboard. They recommend this one.
So, I have put this in my Amazon cart for payday. However, our pool water is only 72* so no rush in getting this order filled. I am looking forward to trying these water exercises in addition to swimming.
How are you maintaining some kind of work out routine while being quarantined? Do find yourself eating more or less? Spending more or less? Sleeping more or less? Do these days seem shorter or longer? Please share in a comment below or link up your wellness weekend post.
Going to Facetime with my sister and scrap while PC goes into work for a meeting. If you have a spring bucket list post, come back to link up with me for that on Tuesday, 04.21.2020.
Stay well, my sweet friends.
Hugs and kisses,