Welcome to Wellness Wednesday 11.2019!
It’s the second Wednesday of the month, so it must be time for Wellness Wednesday 11.2019. Reviewing my progress on the wellness goals I established waaaay back in January. Then offering a few healthy holiday tips. That holiday stress can take a toll on our health!
WELLNESS WEDNESDAY 11.2019
Shooting for perfect scores in every area. But with time running out, I still have some work to do.
PHYSICAL HEALTH 5.0 (Up .5)
We are back to riding bikes, hiking, walking and working out quite a bit. Going to up this at 5.0.
- Work back to running 5K (want to run more regularly again) – Registered for the YMCA Thanksgiving Turkey Trot to be held on 11.28.2019. Ordered my tutu from Amazon Prime today. Hope my waist looks as little and my stomach as flat in it as the mannequin’s! But I prefer my own belly button, thank you.
- Lift weights (at least 4x a week) – Every time we hit the gym. On average about 4X a week. Along with stretching, an abs routine and some kind of aerobic activity.
- Walk 7,200 steps a day and 3 stories (build walks back into my daily routine) – We have enjoyed several great hikes and a couple of treks up McKelligon Canyon Road. The photo below was from a recent hike to Cottonwood Springs in the Franklin Mountains. Round-trip the walk earned me 37 stories or floors on my fitness tracker. It was steep!
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH – 5.0 (HOLDING STEADY)
Keeping this goal a perfect 5.0. My lifetime WW weight is 138 and I am keeping my weight at that or a little lower.
- Eat more veggies and fruit (and cook meals at home 4x a week) – While we aren’t tracking like we were we are still pretty vigilant about eating well. I am not wanting to lose any more weight but do want to continue to eat well. Have lots of home cooked meals planned, and soup-chili-stew. Have you tried my maple bourbon chili? Oh, my goodness – so good, if I do say so myself. And about 7 Freestyle Weight Watcher points.
- Drink 75 ounces of water a day (pretty good at this already) – Always.
- Alcohol and sweets on weekends – Ice cream is my downfall but now that it is colder, it doesn’t seem as appetizing. Keeping the alcohol down to one or two somethings a week. And a sip of bourbon when I made my chili!!
MENTAL HEALTH – 4.0 (Holding steady)
For fall I turned a new leaf…and am actually completing things. Who am I? Books, art projects. Knowing the end of the year is fast approaching, and I still have plenty of loose ends to wrap up.
- Work puzzles and play word games, practice Spanish (Wordscapes, Word Classic, jigsaw puzzles, Brainscape/Duolingo) – Started the month well but back slid. Will get back at it.
- Weekly art date (do something creative or attend something artsy) – Scrapbooked and have more rocks in the works. That counts, right? Doing more Bible journaling again with my great gratitude journal from Shalana Frisby, 25 Days of Bible Verses for Praise & Thankfulness: A Christian Devotional & Coloring Journal.
- Read 3 books a month (in order to meet my Goodreads goal) – Continuing to make my best progress in this category with my reading. Finished Whisper Me This by Kerry Anne King on my Kindle. And our virtual book club just finished reading The Girls at 17 Swann Street by Yara Zgheib. What a walk down Memory Lane as I read and remembered my bout with an eating disorder. Read my review, here, please. Our virtual book club just began reading Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. Ho-ho-ho!! Have set aside Embraced: 100 Devotions to Know God Is Holding You Close by Lisa Terkeurst for my morning quiet time to use the 25 Days of Bible Verses for Praise & Thankfulness for this season of thankfulness. Would love to have you join our virtual book club group! Holler, if you are interested! We have over 70 members, now!!
SPIRITUAL HEALTH – 5.0 (Up .5)
Bumping myself up a half point in this category. May not get my quiet time done first thing in the morning every day but I am fitting it in. We have become faithful church-goers. Several times we have overslept but have hurried around to make it in time for the second service.
- Quiet time 5x a week (M-F, bonus points for the weekend) – Packing my Bible, devotional and journaling materials to-go with me on the days I can’t get to it first thing in the morning.
- Attend church more regularly (at least once a month) – Yes and would like to join a connect group.
- Gratitude journal before bed – Incorporating this in my quiet time for now.
RELATIONSHIP HEALTH – 4.5 (Up .5)
This is a tough time for us and we are both on edge and nervous about the job situation. But we are being kind and patient with one another.
- Unplug at 9:00 pm – Beginning to be more conscious of this again. Trying to get on top of blog posts so I am not always doing them the night before!!
- Date night 2x a month (bucket list activities) – Have enjoyed a number of activities from my autumn bucket list, here but we are going to have to nix a few things because of the job(less) situation. Hikes can count as (free) dates, though, me thinks!
- Skype with Brennyn/Cady & Lauren/Lucia (read books to my babies) – We have enjoyed several outings with Lucia, most recently dinner and then a trip to the park. But I have missed time with my Cadence. Brennyn has been working a lot and Cady has been with her dad more. Hard for me to connect with her there. Although we did read together a night or two while she was at his house. Need to get back at it. We do communicate on FB Messenger and phone calls. I miss that angel and my Brennyn so much. The photo below is from our convo on Halloween.
MAINTAINING HEALTH – 4.5 (Holding steady)
- Use sunscreen on my face daily (moisturizer with SPF) – Still using sunscreen even though it is now fall and the sun isn’t as strong. I know we can still get sun damage.
- Floss – We’ve had the Turewell Cordless Water Flosser for 2 months. And I am flossing the old fashioned way, too.
- Take vitamins and minerals daily (multi, vitamin B, C, D – LMNOP – flaxseed oil, biotin, magnesium, probiotics) – Yes.
FINANCIAL HEALTH – 4.5 (HOLDING STEADY)
- Save money for Christmas – Have saved some and best of all, haven’t touched what I’ve saved.
- Pay off Amazon card – Done. Good progress on the Loft card, too. My credit score is smiling.
- Have money in my checking account at the end of the month – Yes, pennies. But a penny is a penny, right?
- Looking for a part-time job. Still helping with Lucia for a little extra money several days a month. Have applied for several jobs (Target, Hallmark cards, American Airlines) only to be turned down. Been subbing and have 3 upcoming jobs. Holding off on VIPKids until after the holidays.
Wellness Wednesday 11.2019 Healthy Holidays Tips
The holidays can be wonderful but they are almost always a little bit stressful, too. For our family, this time of year is very stressful because my mom and PC really do not like the holidays. So it is important to not only guard your physical health but your mental and emotional health as well.
My golden rule for the holidays would be ‘everything in moderation.’ That covers eating, drinking, spending and even staying up late! But here are some additional suggestions that I discovered from more official sources, True Health Diagnostics and Real Simple.
- Make plans for January. Have something to look forward to on the other side of the holidays.
- Give yourself some grace from exercising. Not to say ‘give it up for six weeks’ but just allow yourself to cut back a bit.
- Weigh yourself regularly but also realize the average person only gains a pound over the holidays. [source]
- Take a few moments every day for yourself. Keep up with your devotional or quiet time. Read. Meditate. Journal.
- Remember the reasons for the seasons. Keep the meaning of Thanksgiving and Christmas or Hanukkah in your heart.
How are you progressing on your goals on this second-to-last Wellness Wednesday 11.2019? Won’t you share something you are most proud of in your efforts toward a healthier you? And if you have a wellness related blog post, how ’bout linking it up with us? Then take a few moments to stop by the blogs of some of the others.
Thank you for being here today for Wellness Wednesday 11.2019, for cheering me on with your kind comments. Here’s to a bright, healthy, happy holiday season for all of us!
Hugs and kisses,