My sweet quarantine queens, it’s time for the 05.2020 update for my spring bucket list. This continues to be the craziest season! Would never have guessed just how extraordinary this spring would be when I wrote my original 2020 spring bucket list post back in March. But I did create my list knowing life wouldn’t be the same ole’ same ole! And thank goodness I did!!
2020 SPRING BUCKET LIST
Here in El Paso, we are about 7 weeks into our stay at home restrictions. While the rest of state is reopening, we are slower to do so in far west Texas. Our cases of Covid have increased by 125 this week, and our deaths have increased, too. Of course, more folks are being tested so the number of positive cases is going to go up.
Citizens are being required to wear masks when in public. Hiking and walking trails are opening in time for the holiday weekend. Stores began reopening this past Monday but allowing only a limited number of masked customers to enter at a time. All steps in the right direction, though.
As a reminder, here are the 20 activities on this season’s list.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
I haven’t really considered my list too often since last month’s update. Let’s see if there’s been any progress at all!!
GOOD FOR THE HEART
These are activities that strengthen relationships and warm my heart.
- Host Easter dinner – invite the kids to join us, set the dining room table with our good dishes, light some candles. Great news!! We are having an ‘Easter-in-May’ dinner this Sunday! Green check mark…Pending.
- Give each other couples massage – complete with candles, aromatherapy, soft lighting, soft music, oils, lotions, and a glass of wine. Pending.
- Listen to and finish our book together in the hot tub – also a wellness goal, listening to When Christ and His Saints Slept: Plantagenets, Book 1 by Sharon K. Penman. We aren’t exactly speed reading (listening) our way through this book. With 36.5 hours total listening time, we have 34 hours left!! This might not ever get that bright green check mark indicating its been completed. But I can say it’s…Underway.
- Dress up for Easter – want to remember the reason for the season, and dress up for our Easter dinner at home. Another activity that might not happen. I doubt we will get all dolled up when we eat our ham this weekend. But you never know. Pending.
GOOD FOR THE SOUL
A few things to warm me from the inside out. And finally some concrete progress!!
- Tiptoe through the poppies – with all of the unseasonable rain earlier in the year, our annual poppies were especially abundant. I have shared the poppies in several posts, here and here. With our triple digit temps, they have all dried up and blown away now. ✔️
- Pay it forward – lots of ways and reasons to treat someone this season. Did donate a box of Victoria’s Secret bras to Bra Recyclers. And last week we were treated to our McDonald’s cheeseburgers by someone paying it forward in the drive through in front of us. So, we followed suit and paid for the meal of the car behind us. ✔️
- Repot and revive mom’s Phalaenopsis orchid – brought it home in my carry-on bag from Kentucky. It’s not dead yet, anyway!! But it doesn’t look as good as it did in the photo below after I repotted it. Embarrassed to show you a new photo. I do think there might be new growth on it, though. Keep your fingers crossed. ✔️
- Spruce up the yard and plants – hoping to add a few more succulents to the yard in some colorful pots, and do something more attractive in the front yard. Have purchased a couple of new succulents and some new solar lights. But waiting to get my patio furniture. Hopefully, I can get everything pulled together by my final update in June. Underway.
GOOD FOR THE BODY
Activities that get me moving.
- Take the first dip of the year in the pool – you all know the troubles we’ve had with our pool, right? Well, I have promised myself to try very hard to enjoy the pool this year. We had to heat the water to have some work done. And enjoyed our first swim several days later. ✔️
- Hike and picnic at a park or Hueco Tanks – at Hueco Tanks, you can hike, rock climb, bird watch, study nature and history, picnic and stargaze. [source] Hueco Tanks is OPEN! Thought maybe Brennyn and Cady would like going out there. We’ll see. For now, this is…Pending.
- Utilize exercise videos and/or compete in Wicked Wine Run – the Wicked Wine Run has been postponed until 09.2020. In the meantime, we are utilizing some online videos and running several times a week. Check out Sunday’s Wellness Weekend post, here, for more info. Going to give this a ✔️ of completion.
- Take Cia on a nature scavenger hunt – created my scavenger hunt and shared with Brennyn & Cady, Lauren & Lucia, Dani from Family.Love.Inspiration & her children Zaeya, Logan and Nash. Here’s the scavenger hunt, if you would like to do it with a little one in your life. Want to get a few photos of Cady helping us on our hunt. Then will share photos in my last update. But this is definitely…Underway.
GOOD FOR THE MIND
Experiences that will hopefully require and build brain power.
- Paint spring rocks – have my rocks almost finished. Will leave them around the hospital where Francisco works. This is well… Underway.
- Take a class or course – signed up for a mosaic class but received an email saying the class has been postponed. Looking into a couple of courses online for playing my keyboard and gaining confidence with my Instapot. Purchased The Genius Blogger’s Tool Kit but haven’t looked at it once. Pending.
- Work online jigsaw puzzles – my sister reminded me of this activity. I love working jigsaw puzzles. Started a real one and PC mentioned he might even help with it. Thinking the girls might help me get this finished (started??) over the weekend. ✔️
- Organize crafts and craft supplies – my craft space is so small and I have so many different hobbies and projects. I started to organize the area and felt immediately overwhelmed. Got back in there a few weeks later and finished up this chore. Love my new hobby cart. And being able to use my desk! ✔️
Just Plain Good
Activities just for fun.
- Decorate for spring and Easter – Finally, something I have done with gusto! Have debated about taking my springish/Easter decor down since the holiday has come and gone. But since we are eating our Easter dinner this Sunday, decided to leave the house bedecked in bunnies and eggs a bit longer. ✔️
- Find a copycat recipe for a favorite restaurant dish and make it at home – My brother Kevin’s girlfriend is the manager of the BJ’s restaurant in Lexington. When I came across this copycat recipe for BJ’s Parmesan crusted chicken, I asked LeeAnn to check it out for accuracy. She gave it a thumb’s up. So did PC! ✔️
- Make a coconut cream pie or German chocolate cake just because I like them – for my birthday, I baked myself a German chocolate cake. But forgot to take pics!! Then I made this scrumdiddlyumptious coconut cheesecake pie for a recipe swap and blog hop. Sadly, it wasn’t exactly like the coconut pie Grandma Bubby used to make. But boy, was it good!! ✔️
- Host a game night or investigate Pictionary Air – last month, I had declared this probably impossible or very unlikely until things return to some semblance of normal. BUT…with Brennyn and Cady visiting, there is some hope that we could play a game while they are here. Hallelujah. Mark this as still…Pending.
By my count, that’s 10 activities completed, 4 underway to some degree, which leaves 6 activities pending. I have my work cut out for me. Hope you will come back again on 06.21.2020 to check out my final update. And for my summer bucket list reveal. You are cordially invited to start putting together your summer list, too!!
Please leave a comment or link up your bucket list update 05.2020 post below.
Or, in a comment, let me know how you’ve been filling your stay at home days. Are stores, bars, restaurants, shopping centers, beauty salons reopening in your community? Are you wearing a mask when you leave home? Would love to hear from you about life in your community and the activities with which you are filling your time.
Stay healthy, my sweet, sweet quarantine queens!
Hugs and kisses,