My sweet stay-at-homers, it’s time for the first update for my 2020 spring bucket list. And hasn’t this been some kind of crazy spring? I wrote my original 2020 spring bucket list post during a layover at the Houston airport as I was flying home from Kentucky. Had no way of predicting then how this first month of stay at home restrictions would look. But I created my list knowing life wouldn’t be ‘normal.’
2020 SPRING BUCKET LIST
Spring this year is unlike any other. With the spread of coronavirus across the country and the world, activities I would normally enjoy doing this time of year are off limits. Travel is strongly discouraged. Restaurants and bars, gyms, theaters and state parks in El Paso are closed. All of the restrictions have really impacted the kinds of activities I could try to do.
Here’s a look at the 20 activities on this season’s list
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
And here’s how I have progressed on my list in this first month of the season.
GOOD FOR THE HEART
These are activities that strengthen relationships and warm my heart.
- Host Easter dinner – invite the kids to join us, set the dining room table with our good dishes, light some candles. Pending. We didn’t have an Easter dinner because families are not permitted to gather right now. Ham and turkey are still in the freezer waiting for the day when we can be reunited.
- Give each other couples massage – complete with candles, aromatherapy, soft lighting, soft music, oils, lotions, and a glass of wine. Pending.
- Listen to and finish our book together in the hot tub – also a wellness goal, just beginning When Christ and His Saints Slept: Plantagenets, Book 1 by Sharon K. Penman. Underway. We have listened to the book 3 times now from the hot tub with a fire in the little chiminea.
- Dress up for Easter – want to remember the reason for the season, and dress up for our Easter dinner at home. Pending. We have been listening to church services on the patio on Sunday mornings. But just couldn’t bring myself to dress up only to sit on the lawn chair in the backyard. Saving my Easter dress for our postponed family dinner.
GOOD FOR THE SOUL
A few things to warm me from the inside out. And finally some concrete progress!!
- Tiptoe through the poppies – with all of the unseasonable rain earlier in the year, our annual poppies were especially abundant. ✔️ I have shared the poppies in several posts, here and here. But just in case you’ve missed them, allow me to share again here.
- Pay it forward – lots of ways and reasons to treat someone this season. ✔️ Did donate a box of Victoria’s Secret bras to Bra Recyclers. But want to do some other kind acts. Just hard to do them from home!!
- Repot and revive mom’s Phalaenopsis orchid – brought it home in my carry-on bag from Kentucky. ✔️ It’s not dead yet, anyway!! Looked up repotting and reviving tips on Pinterest. Then put them into practice on mom’s orchid. Hope it will take off. One suggestion was to repot the plant in a container like this one, which should help counteract my tendency to over-water. Another suggestion mentioned creating a humidity tray to keep the blooms pretty. But this plant isn’t blooming. Yet.
- Spruce up the yard and plants – hoping to add a few more succulents to the yard in some colorful pots, and do something more attractive in the front yard. Underway. I have purchased a couple of new succulents but want to do more in the yard. Will share photos next update in May.
GOOD FOR THE BODY
Activities that get me moving.
- Take the first dip of the year in the pool – you all know the troubles we’ve had with our pool, right? Well, I have promised myself to try very hard to enjoy the pool this year. However, the water is too cold for that first dip yet. Pending.
- Hike and picnic at a park or Hueco Tanks – at Hueco Tanks, you can hike, rock climb, bird watch, study nature and history, picnic and stargaze. [source] Really looking forward to visiting again. Governor Abbott has opened state parks across Texas. But our mayor has not opened Hueco Tanks. So this is…Pending.
- Utilize exercise videos and/or compete in Wicked Wine Run – the Wicked Wine Run has been postponed until 09.2020. So I can going to change this activity to “run 3x a week” in preparation for the run in the fall. Underway.
- Take Cia on a nature scavenger hunt – created my scavenger hunt and shared with Brennyn & Cady, Lauren & Lucia, Dani from Family.Love.Inspiration & her children Zaeya, Logan and Nash. Here’s the scavenger hunt, if you would like to do it with a little one in your life. Will share all of our photos next update. Underway.
GOOD FOR THE MIND
Experiences that will hopefully require and build brain power.
- Paint spring rocks – have done this several times in the past, then set them out for others to find. Underway.
- Take a class or course – signed up for a mosaic class but received an email saying the class has been postponed. Pending.
- Work online jigsaw puzzles – my sister reminded me of this activity. I love working jigsaw puzzles. Started a real one and PC mentioned he might even help with it. Underway.
- Organize crafts and craft supplies – my craft space is so small and I have so many different hobbies and projects. I started to organize them and felt overwhelmed. Kind of…Underway. Will get back in there and give it another try.
JUST PLAIN GOOD
Activities just for fun.
- Decorate for spring and Easter – ✔️ Finally, something I have done with gusto! Here are a few photos and will share some more in the next update.
- Find a copycat recipe for a favorite restaurant dish and make it at home – I don’t have a recipe or even a restaurant in mind, so this could involve some thought. Pending.
- Make a coconut cream pie or German chocolate cake just because I like them – for my birthday, I baked myself a German chocolate cake. But forgot to take pics!! For an upcoming recipe swap and blog hop, I am going to try my hand at this coconut pie like my Bubby used to make. Underway.
- Host a game night or investigate Pictionary Air – this might be impossible or very unlikely until things return to some semblance of normal. Pending.
By my count, that’s 4 activities completed, 8 underway to some degree, which leaves 8 activities pending. I have my work cut out for me. Hope you will come back again on 05.21.2020 (and before!) to check out my progress next update.
How are you filling your stay at home hours these days, girls? Are restrictions beginning to loosen up where you live? Are stores, bars, restaurants, shopping centers, beauty salons still closed in your community? Will schools be out of session where you live until the coming school year? Would love to hear from you about life in your community and the activities with which you are filling your time. Please leave a comment or link up your bucket list post below.
Thanks for stopping by, sweet friends. Every Monday, I think to myself that I am finally going to get really productive with the start of the new week. But I get lost in the news and the stock market reports and stuff with my mom and Paul’s parents and my kids and the kitties… Maybe, maybe, though, this will be the week!!
Hugs and kisses,