Wonder women, welcome! Coming to you from frosty Lexington, Kentucky for Wellness Weekend 03.2020. Mom has been hospitalized with a stomach bug, rhino virus, and pneumonia from aspirating her vomit. As I type this quite late Sunday afternoon, she been in the hospital for 4 days. My brother and sister and I will have to begin moving mom tomorrow from her current independent living apartment into a nursing care room on the same premises. Hoping to get her situated and be home by next Saturday, which is her 93rd birthday. Want to celebrate HER before I leave.
On the blog today, I am updating progress on my wellness goals and talking about springing forward. More on that in a bit. First, let’s see how I’ve done in an effort toward becoming more well? Well-er? Ahh, I know, improving my wellness. That’s the ticket. Like last year, I am aiming for all 5s by the year’s end.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Here’s where we are today.
PHYSICAL HEALTH – 3.0 (down .5)
- Stretch and work out 4x a week , Weight Watchers to maintain weight – excuses, excuses but haven’t done well on it. Went to Arizona one weekend, PC got sick right afterward. I am down about 3 pounds but we have avoided the gym with all the virus scares. Have played pickleball every week since I discovered it.
- Get 7200 steps and 3 floors a day – actually doing well at this. If I am not doing much else, I am walking!! Even around the hospital in Lexington.
- Walk in nature for 30 minutes a day, 5x a week – back to walking more often. Look forward to those few distraction-free moments in the sun. We enjoyed hiking at White Tanks while we were in Phoenix a few weeks ago.
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH – 4.0 (holding steady)
- Cook meals at home 4x a week – yes, and continuing to cook on occasion for Lauren and family. Restaurants and bars are closing here in Kentucky as of 5 pm today. So will be cooking and eating at Kevin’s house for now.
- Eat 1 fruit and 1 veggie every day (sad, I know) – yes, trying to do better on this.
- Indulge in alcohol and sweets on weekends – yes, with the exception of some overindulgence on M&Ms late in February.
SPIRITUAL HEALTH – 3.5 (holding steady)
- Develop a morning routine M-F – finished my Proverbs31 Ministries Bible study, now using a devotional my BFF Sharon gave me, Present over Perfect.
- Enjoy quiet time M-F (devotional, writing, reading, moment of silence and prayer) – yes. Have been hitting snooze every morning, using that 10 minutes to remember my blessings and say my prayers.
- Use aroma therapy during my morning routine – yuppers, Using a diffuser when I do Bible study in the loft. But have bee too cold some mornings to do my devotion anywhere but under the covers. You can see my diffuser glowing just above and behind my laptop screen.
MENTAL HEALTH – 3.5 (down .5)
- Get dressed every day (not active wear), wear a dress or skirt to church – have done pretty well at this. Missed church last Sunday and the Sunday before. Now with coronavirus, church is going to be closed, at least for awhile. Wore this Loft look around Valentine’s Day. Loft skirt, cardi and blouse.
- Weekly artistic activity; word games, journal – playing word games, journaling, and scrapbooking with my sister. Even brought some scrapbooking supplies up to Kentucky in hopes of getting a page or done while here.
- Read 3 books a month in order to meet my Goodreads goal (are we friends on Goodreads yet?) – have a new goal of visiting the public library once a month. The last trip, I picked up some Texas Library Association Bluebonnet Award nominated picture books so I should easily meet my 3 book a month wellness goal. Jut finished Handcrafted by Clint Harp and almost finished with A Million Dreams by Dani Atkins and The Dressmaker’s Gift by Fiona Valpy. My online book club is reading The German Girl by Armando Lucas Correa. And have begun The Vertical Marriage: The One Secret That Will Change Your Marriage by Dave Wilson, Ann Wilson, et al.
RELATIONSHIP HEALTH – 3.5 (holding steady)
- Unplug at 8:30 pm, implement evening routine – have just gotten better at this. Hope to have a great report for you in this area next month. Here at my Kentucky I’ve had very limited Internet. Last night I was climbing the stairs for bed before 9:30 pm.
- Date night with PC 2x a month (bucket list activities) – yes, while we were in Arizona, we attended 3 baseball games, hiked, ate dinner out 3 nights. Since we’ve been home…CORONAVIRUS slowed us down from getting out much. And PC got sick with a sinus infection.
- Me time, develop friendships, take a class or do something for myself – you know about pickleball but I have also registered for 2 5K races (one was just canceled, though; thank you Covid 19), and signed up for a mosaic class hosted by a gal who also plays pickleball. Will be making a mosaic cross and hopefully, finding help with the large mosaic I started right after I retired.
PREVENTATIVE HEALTH MAINTENANCE -4.0 (holding steady)
- Improved skin care, routine facials – was looking into a 6-Minute Cryo Facial Rejuvenation: “cold air blast” using our cold air localized device. Ideal to improve skin complexion, reduce blemishes and increase skin elasticity, $35.00. [source]
- Weekly dry brushing – continuing several times a week.
- Regular manicures – yes, have had 4 manis in the new year. But have taken a break now as my nails are thin and stressed from the gel polish.
FINANCIAL HEALTH – 3.5 (down .5)
- Continue saving each month – opened a teensy baby money market account, and have made a monthly deposits.
- Save for birthdays and Christmas – saving a little each month.
- Keep spending under control – have slowed down on clothing purchases, cleaned out my closet, to make room for pieces I may add from the Get Your Pretty On spring capsule wardrobe. Registration has just opened but the outfit formulas are already being released. You may use my affiliate link to register and join me for the fun of trying new trends and giving your spring wardrobe a breath of fresh air.
Overall, I am feeling frustrated that my progress has stalled. Need to get back under my lifetime goal weight. And need to avoid having lazy weeks that have us skipping the gym. We all need to be able to get back to normal life.
So, that brings us to the optional theme of today’s #WW2020…SPRING FORWARD! But to be honest, I don’t have a thin for this. I am glad to have more daylight at the end of the day. I am hopeful that light will help carry us above this pandemic and back to health. Without wishing my life away, I wish I could spring forward to that time.
We learned today that when my mom is released from the hospital and taken to rehab, we won’t be able to see her. So she will be in this new facility and unable to have visitors. She doesn’t know yet that she won’t be returning to her home. I am afraid that will break her heart further. But we don’t know what else to do. Mom is no longer capable of caring for herself, even with the help of her part-time care givers.
How are you progressing on the wellness goals you’ve set for the year? What’s been your best success or biggest obstacle? Link up your Wellness Weekend post below or leave me a comment letting me know. And please show some love to the others linked up below.
Afraid I will not be able to do much blog reading or writing until I have returned home. The Internet is spotty and my heart just isn’t into it right now. Thank you for visiting today. Stay well, my friends. Stay well.
Hugs and kisses,