Howdy, gals!! Thanks for joining me for Sentence a Day 09.2023 – a monthly review of my September in one run-on sentence a day. As with most months, there were ups and downs but I spent a delightful 6 days in Tennessee visiting my sister. So enjoyed myself. Hopeful that we are going to wind up the year with 3 more pretty good months.
Sentence a Day & OGT 2023
Before we get started, I want to thank Rebecca Jo at Knit by God’s Hand for creating this month-in-review series. For each of my daily entries, you will see OGT after the date for that (looooooong) sentence. OGT = one good thing. I am following Rebecca’s good lead by including one good thing I am grateful for each day.
Also, hoping to make the What’s Been on Your Calendar? link-up with Deb at Deb’s World, Sue who blogs at Women Living Well After 50, Donna from Retirement Reflections and Jo who can be found at And Anyways. It opens on the last Friday of each month. Hoping this post will be ready to go live in time to join those gals.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links which are usually italicized. If you click or make a purchase from an italicized link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
And you can find where I link-up on this page.
Sentence a Day 09.2023
Not sure how I do this every month…start out behind one my sentence writing on the first day. But somehow, I manage to do just that. I forget to create a new post for the new month.
- Well, hello, September!! Always good to see you, my friend and this year is no exception, although August was a pretty darn good month; kicked off the new month with quiet time, then by cleaning the house; dropping in on my latest Rover.com charge, Luna; ran a mile on the treadmill…I owe .75 miles to earn a checkmark on that; scrapbooked with my sissy; pulled out all the leftovers for dinner; Reds game and “Ugly Betty” before bed; nice day. 09.01.2023 OGT: cleaning out the fridge of all the leftovers
- Saturday. After breakfast, PC worked on planting rolls of grass seed on the side yard while I walked over to do my drop-in visit with Luna; completed my run from yesterday; did a Supernatural workout and my sit-ups and leg lifts – you go, girl!!; went to a 3:50 showing of “The Hill” about baseball player Rickey Hill – good movie, good popcorn, we even enjoyed our pre-movie kiss like the good old days; home to catch the last innings of the Reds game; started watching “Painkiller” – thanks for the recommendation, Lysha, disturbing story of the Oxycontin epidemic. 09.02.2023 OGT: good movie, peaceful day
- Skipped church – I worry that PC is not ‘feeling’ our church messages any more, probably because he has heard it all for 59 years, not sure what we do; breakfast at Weck’s which I thought was delicious but PC less so – mine was a turkey sausage quesadilla with Hatch green chilies and cheese and Mexicali coffee; we stopped at Kohl’s to pick up this darling Nine West ribbed tank dress and these Lifestride super comfy Alita peep toe ankle boots; my black patent pumps have given up the ghost; we walked around the outlet mall and stopped in Bath and Body Works to pick up some Moonlit Graveyard wall flowers because the girls say that fragrance smells just like me!!; DQ blizzard on the way home; PC dropped me off at Luna’s for my last drop-in visit; he watched the Reds; I started laundry, we swam, had early dinner and watched the rest of “Painkiller.” 09.03.2023 OGT: floating in the pool together
- Looooong day that started early when I took PC to the airport at 4:30 am for his flight to Ohio; quiet time and breakfast; finished the laundry; ran to Walmart for litter for the kitties and cookies for the girls; listened to the new book club read for September, Tom Lake by Ann Patchett; cleaned all the litter boxes; warmed up the pool; listened to a few chapters of Joyce Maynard’s writing course on CreativeLive; unloaded the dishwasher; then the kids arrived to swim – the water was perfect and we were outside for 4 hours swimming, eating pizza and playing with slime and Playdoh; worn out tonight; fixed tortellini and some imitation crab for dinner; can hardly keep my eyes open, just waiting for the sun to go down to climb into bed. 09.04.2023 OGT: traveling mercies for Paul
Book Writing Challenge
- Made for lost time by climbing into bed at 8:15 pm last night!! Slept for 10 hours. Up this morning just after 6:00 am, rested; fed kitties then we all climbed in big bed for quiet time; showered, dressed, breakfast; checked emails, banking online; ran on treadmill – which keeps turning itself off mid-run as I get to 6 mph – scares me to death; attended the Zoom Children’s Book Challenge Week hosted by the Storyteller Academy – so good, great exercises and information for writing children’s books; cleaned pool; did rowing machine; lunch; boiled eggs; sorted laundry and put it away; ironed; talked to Valerie and Lauren on the phone; swam a quarter mile; dinner; scanned 50+ photos onto Photomyne; dragged fall decorations in and set them on the kitchen table; gathered summer decorations to put away; watched Reds game looking for Paul and found him; Declan has a terrible cough and struggling to breathe well; off to bed to read. 09.05.2023 OGT: accomplished a lot
Sick Baby, Worried Mimi
- Tired tonight…awoke to a message from Brennyn that they had taken Dec to the ER in the middle of the night and he was being admitted to the children’s hospital with croup; called her and listening to that angel coughing and crying was heartbreaking; dressed and went over the mountain to help with Jump Palooza at Cia’s school, it was nice to see the kids I’ve known now for 2 years; told the coaches I would like to sub for P.E., had a mom ask if I would consider a long term sub job for PK at her daughter’s school around the corner; talked to Bren several times – they administered oral steroids, a bronchodilator and Tylenol and he fell asleep; ran by the library; put out my fall decor but not happy with it; scrapbooked with my sister but my Cricut Joy was fighting me; Declan was released about supper time to go home; need to do Supernatural before I call it a day. 09.06.2023 OGT: Declan is home from the hospital and feeling better
- Happy, Heavenly birthday, Daddy!! So glad you were born. Hope you and Mom celebrated in a big way. Awake at 4:00 am thinking about Declan, checked in on him with Nanit and he was sleeping quietly; did my quiet time then fell asleep for about 30 minutes; first order of business was mowing the grass which took some effort; showered, dressed and headed for my gynecologist appointment – new-to-me OB/GYN, I am current on my pap smear, bone density and mammogram but she is going to do a ultrasound of my ovaries after the weird UTI I had this spring (has taken this long to get into a gynecologist); home to set out clothes for my trip to Tennessee; scrapbooked with Valerie, used my Cricut Joy successfully; frozen Lean Cuisine pizza for dinner; blog writing tonight; Supernatural workout, doing StepBet again and achieved a Power Day. 09.07.2023 OGT: all my steps
- Busy day getting ready for PC’s return home; did quiet time in bed first thing this morning; before it got hot, I sprayed the weeds and within a few hours they were shriveled; cleaned up the mess Purrcival made yesterday when he pulled a planter into the master bathtub; gathered clothes and suitcase for my upcoming trip to Tennessee and my WBL post about what’s in my suitcase; cleaned the downstairs, dusted, vacuumed, mopped; listened to the last session of the Children’s Book Challenge workshop; made this delicious Crack Chicken and Dumplings recipe for PC’s dinner; picked him up at the airport at 2:45 and he was feverish, chilling, congested, coughing, got him home, took his temperature – 101.4, called to get him an appointment at Urgent Care; in the meantime he tested positive with one of our at-home Covid tests; he was prescribed Paxlovid and is quarantining in our room while I am downstairs in the den; it is always something. 09.08.2023 OGT: Paul is home safe and sound; has meds to help him feel better
- Purrsnickitty slept with me in the upstairs guest bedroom so neither of us slept well; fixed PC’s breakfast and he took it upstairs, then went to pick up his Paxlovid and some face masks at Walgreens; he spent the day upstairs coming down, masked, to get his meals to take back up to eat; his cough is better but he is still feverish and congested; received a sweet surprise from Sharon with the prettiest velvet pumpkins and delicious caramel candies; I ran on the treadmill; worked on a scrapbook page; just sat for a bit; swam some laps; fixed a Hello Fresh meal kit for dinner that Lauren gave us; Supernatural workout; lots of blog reading before bed. 09.09.2023 OGT: Paul is feeling better
- Slow start to this church-less Sunday; cereal on the back porch where we can sit together without worrying too much about germs; PC spent the day in our room, napping, watching TV, playing Tankville on his laptop; he ate lunch in the room but had supper on the porch with me; I cleaned the pool and added chemicals; we took a short walk around the park together; I did laundry, scrapbooked with my sister, worked on a Title Talk book post; watched football; did a Supernatural workout and took a walk right before bed in order to get all of my steps for my 2 new StepBet challenges; Paul wasn’t really better but wasn’t worse either; his mom and brother both have Covid now. 09.10.2023 OGT: meals on the patio
God Bless America
- Patriot Day – a very quiet 9-11 on this 22nd anniversary. God bless America. Slept well, even with Purrsnickitty in bed with me; texted the PTA president at Cia’s school first thing to see if I should come volunteer for the book fair since I have been exposed to Covid – she said no; crawled back under the covers for a bit longer; made modified TikTok cinnamon rolls for breakfast on the porch; we took a walk around the park; I worked on my blog post, scanned photos into Photomyne; leftover Hello Fresh enchiladas for late lunch; Paul napped most of the afternoon with Purrcival; ran on the treadmill; got the laundry done, folded and put away; listened to Tom Lake; scrapbooked with Valerie; grilled brats for dinner; more football tonight – my fantasy football team won!!; Supernatural before bed; sharing a bit of wisdom from my friend Susan. 09.11.2023 OGT: my Pale Pink Porkbellies won the first week of fantasy football
- I was pretty worthless today, not feeling bad but not feeling 100% either, hoping this isn’t Covid; we had breakfast on the porch; took a walk with PC around the park; I fixed chicken and broccoli casserole in the morning to pop in the oven for dinner; worked all day long on a dumb blog post that I couldn’t get the spacing right on; fruit smoothie for lunch; more blog finagling all afternoon; Facetimed Lucia and Lauren – Cia has straight As; talked to Brennyn and Cady’s grades are good – my smart babies; we called in for writing since we couldn’t attend in person; ran on the treadmill now off to do a Supernatural workout so I get my steps. 09.12.2023 OGT: granddaughters’ good grades
Over the Mountain
- Over the mountain this morning with a mask on my mug; so happy to see my girls and their pup; Cia climbed up in the chair with me and snuggled, did my old heart good; the mountains were beautiful today, too, with low-hanging clouds and everything looking greener and perkier after the rain; ran by Target for kitty food, Michaels for paint for my upcoming pumpkin painting; picked up a Walmart order and lost my debit card – it just vanished!!; put groceries away; scrapbooked with my sister for a little bit – have finally finished Declan’s birth and first birthday pictures; clam chowder and jalapeño cornbread muffins for supper; listened to my trial on YouTube while PC watched the Reds game – we are sitting in the same room and sleeping in the same bed again. 09.13.2023 OGT: back to sleeping in the same bed
- PC got off for work for the first time since returning home from Ohio but his boss sent him back home saying he could telework the rest of the week; on the way back home a warning light came up on his Mustang; the alternator was going out; we took the car to Firestone but had to leave it overnight; watched my latest trial on YouTube Law & Crime; ironed; scanned lots and lots of photos into Photomyne then labeled them; did my sit-ups/leg lifts and a Supernatural workout; grilled steak and salmon for dinner; bedtime walk with weights. 09.14.2023 OGT: Paul can work from home
- We were up early and out the door to pick up PC’s car and have breakfast at iHop; took a quick walk when we got home; I was kind of lost all day – forgot to do quiet time; started cleaning upstairs but in one room one minute, another room the next; got the upstairs dusted and bathroom cleaned; organized scrapbook paper to take to Tennessee; ordered photos to scrap; added a new message to my message board; finished scrapping Dec’s birth and first birthday; scanned about a blue million photos in Photomyne, filed a bunch into albums; leftovers for dinner and popcorn for snack – if you like popcorn like I do, please check out this microwave popper – no oil required, pops almost every kernel; Brennyn gave me mine. 09.15.2023 OGT: having the money to get PC’s car repaired
- Up early and back to iHop for breakfast with Benita, my teacher friend from Moye Elementary, had the pumpkin pancakes and they were divine; then PC and I went to Eastside Nursery to pick out a tree for the backyard, a Coppertone Loquat (realizing a summer goal), that we hope will protect the grass from baking like it did this summer; Jason’s Deli for lunch; PC planted and I cleaned the spilled dirt from the car; pulled weeds; took an hour-long nap; read some picture books I had checked out of the library; ordered pizza for dinner and walked to pick it up; Reds baseball on TV; generally unproductive day. 09.16.2023 OGT: working in the yard together
- Slept so well, always thankful for that; good message delivered by Pastor Shannon about church being the gateway to Heaven; ran to At Home to pick up 2 metal pumpkins on stakes for the front yard – they are really nice sized; ran to Old Navy to pick up this blazer, which I loved at first sight – has a pale pinky-rose thread with brown and black, I have a number of plaid blazers but this one is very light; took some pics for my southwest flavor post; back home to watch baseball then football; my fantasy team did very well but will it be enough??; ordered pizza for supper; ran on the treadmill and did Supernatural and my sit-ups/leg lifts, what a good girl am I. 09.17.2023 OGT: the way being in church makes me feel
- Didn’t want to get up, slept great listening to the rain…had a long list of to-dos but wanted to be lazy instead; dragged my bootie up to fix smoothies, pack PC’s lunch, feed kitties; did quiet time in bed; showered, dressed; vacuumed and mopped upstairs; started laundry; repacked my suitcase to add more casual clothes for hiking and hanging out; cleaned kitchen, dusted downstairs, cleaned downstairs bath; watered house plants; vacuumed and mopped downstairs; ran to library, Walgreens to pick up photos; Walmart for litter bags; added chemicals to pool; cleaned litter boxes; begged PC to cook (Taco Bell); finished Ageless Style blog post but need to write my Tell Us About post; folded laundry; watched my fantasy football team lose to Brennyn’s team; drank a beer before bed – T-A-R-D tired. 09.18.2023 OGT: house is in good shape for my trip
- Up super early to get to the airport by 5 am; flights were on time and allowed for a couple of naps; my phone and watch didn’t change time when I landed in Atlanta which made things interesting as I thought I had an almost 4 hour layover when I had less than 2; Valerie was waiting for me at the Knoxville airport; beautiful drive back to Crossville visiting the whole way; unpacked and walked about 2 miles; Roby fixed a delicious roast chicken for dinner; watched TV and off to bed; their home is so warm and comfortable and cute. 09.19.2023 OGT: sissy time
Tennessee at Its Best
- Slept like a champ under a mountain of patchwork quilts; awakened by cool temps and sunshine; breakfast, coffee with pumpkin creamer; off to Ozone Falls – gorgeous, gorgeous, lush green plants, moss!!; mushrooms, and a glorious waterfall in which I ‘showered’ – Tennessee is some of God’s best work; walked along an old railroad track that we thought was abandoned until a train came along; visited Rural King and another farm-type local store; scrapbooked on Mom’s 95th birthday; Mark and Metra came for ribs and a bonfire in the fire pit; satisfying day. 09.20.2023 OGT: Mother Nature
- Another great night’s sleep; split a bagel over coffee with Valerie then got on the road with a stop at the library before today’s hike at Black Mountain Trail – a wooded walk to an overlook where the trees below and all about were beginning to turn red and orange; home for a ham, turkey and Swiss sandwich; worked on and published 2 blog posts; scrapbooked on a 2-page spread for Mom’s last birthday; Valerie and Roby tag-teamed grilling steaks for dinner, accompanied by baked potatoes, Brussels sprouts, and this savory pesto and goat cheese spread on ciabatta; talked with my nephew Trey. 09.21.2023 OGT: being outside in this pretty place
PC Holding Down the Home Front
- Awoke to the fragrance of apple dumplings baking – my new favorite breakfast; did my Wordle, and a new brain teaser ‘Connections;’ stopped by the library again for 2 more titles for book club’s October (October????) consideration list; easily got in my steps another day with our hike at Lilly Bluff – enormous rocks that were once underwater, scenic overlook and a quick dip in the water of the clearest creek; home for a some scrapbooking and a few quiet moments before heading to check out the Relay for Life, and a beer at Valerie and Roby’s favorite Friday night spot Dublin’s – snacked on Reuben eggrolls; home to blog read and off to bed; Purrcival was neutered and had his claws snipped today, spending the night at the vet clinic. 09.22.2023 OGT: PC took Purrcival to the vet
- Set my alarm to get up and ready for our day in Knoxville; first stop Scrappin’ in the City scrapbook store; so many pretty things but especially the paper; then we parked at the garage near campus and strolled about looking at the old buildings and new and the waves of folks in Tennessee orange everywhere; visited the bookstore where we bought long sleeve tees, hair bows and Smokey (the UT mascot) pins for our denim jackets; grabbed nachos at Twisted Taco then off to the game – thanks to Kevin for the tickets; great seats under the awning on the 30 yard line; fun singing “Rocky Top” and cheering on the Vols; picked up pom poms for all the grands; UT won big; back to Crossville happily worn out. 09.23.2023 OGT: visiting my alma mater with my sister
- Up early again, showered, dressed and off to Family Ties for breakfast then service and Sunday School at Valerie’s Methodist church – no one had Bibles!!; home to change clothes and then off to the Apple Fest which was more about cute crafts and less about apples; packed my dad’s typewriter to hopefully check as luggage on my flight; made a video of Valerie and I sharing summaries for the books on October’s book club consideration list; took a 3 mile walk; fire in the fire pit – so pleasant and warm as the sun was setting; leftover roasted chicken for dinner; HGTV before bed. 09.24.2023 OGT: laughing with my sissy
- The time has come, the walrus said…to return home and this was the day but what a restful, fun, peaceful week; I loved the pace of every day, the activities we did, how well I slept (how much I ate), I think I will miss my sister Valerie even more than I ever have; we were up and on our way to Knoxville before 9:30; stopped in Belk and Maurice’s in Maryville where Valerie bought some shoes and we both got this graphic tee; then headed to the movie to see “Barbie” together – oh, my – I had missed so much the first time when I went with all the babies, so happy to see it again, good laughs, good message; and then off to the airport where Delta agreed to ship my dad’s typewriter on my flight (happy dance); home just before midnight…then chatted with PC in the dark in bed for an hour. 09.25.2023 OGT: Delta Airlines
- Lazy first day back home; unpacked my suitcase, put everything up or in the washer; got the laundry washed, folded and put away and the ironing sorted; quiet time in our bedroom; blog reading and writing; shared our video of the book summaries for the book club’s October read, and the voting link; we were heading out to writing when Lauren called warning us of a terrific storm with hail, heavy rain, lightning and thunder on the westside so we contacted Dick and Denise, the writing class co-hosts and they postponed our meeting to next week; we ran to get Chipotles for dinner and then the storm hit our area; Reds won, watched a little “Dancing with the Stars” and remembered how Mom had once loved it; thundering and lightning again now as we go up to bed. 09.26.2023 OGT: rain
- Hump day which is usually fun day and it was as I went across the mountain to see my gals, took Cami and Cia to school then went back to do Wellness Walk with Lucia during P.E.; she asked me to hold her so I wouldn’t be able to hold hands with any of the other kids!!; home to iron lots and lots of clothes; talked to Brennyn while mixing up her recipe for green enchilada soup which was fabulous; walked up to the neighborhood market for a few things to finish up the soup; was otherwise fairly worthless. 09.27.2023 OGT: being with my babies
Getting Back on Track
- On Thursdays, I try to clean the upstairs – dust, vacuum, mop, clean the bathroom so I got all of that done; finished the last few pieces of ironing; watched 2 different trials, “Take Care of Maya” and the trial of Henry Dinkins for kidnapping and murder of a little girl; painted on my Fear Not painting; fixed Hello Fresh Swiss mushroom burgers that were so tasty; watched football and did some blog reading; completed my first Supernatural workout of the week; got a phone call from Paul’s brother than their mom was found unresponsive after likely suffering from a stroke; she has been taken to the ER by ambulance and we are waiting to learn more. 09.28.2023 OGT: John found May and got her to the hospital
- Up early to take Purrcival to the vet clinic for his last RCP vaccine; asked them to check his feet as he is licking them a lot and holding up his right paw whenever he sits down – they said he doesn’t seem to have an infection but gave him another pain block and want to see him again on Monday; I was there for almost 4 hours today – dread having to do that again on Monday and Purrcy was wild after his shots; cleaned the downstairs bathroom; made a baby spinach and blue cheese salad for lunch, then kitty and I laid down on the couch for a nap; paid bills, purged some clothes from my closet; leftover soup for supper; new black kitty with white boots (Sugar Boots) showed up with Fluff, the neighbor’s kitty we care for 99% of the time, fed them both; looks like May, my MIL, has a very bad UTI and not a stroke, staying another night at the hospital; tired tonight, Supernatural workout and time for bed. 09.29.2023 OGT: May is being well cared for
Winding Up the Month
- Slept like a champ but had weird dreams of multiplying kitties; breakfast on the patio with Sugar Boots, Fluff and our kitties; called May and she was being released without any real clear idea of what’s going on – her glucose levels are apparently very high and have been; we hung a wind chime in the cemetery near our friend George’s plot; drove to La Mesilla for lunch at Lescombes Vineyard – I had an Asian shrimp and pasta in a spicy peanut sauce and PC had chicken parmesan; stopped at Sombra Antiqua for a glass of their Desert Rain wine and a bottle to go; DQ for dessert as we drove over the mountain – need to stop eating!! – not completely but scale it waaaay back; took a walk and listened to my book; watched Reds baseball and listened to Paul and his bros talk about caring for their mom; about to do Supernatural before bed; it is raining!! 09.30.2023 OGT: May is home, nice date day
And that’s a wrap. Hasta luego, baby.
1 Sec Each Day
Here’s the 1 Sec Each Day video compilation for the month. If you blink, you’ll miss it!!
And the Clothes, the Clothes
I have been purging things in my closet, trying them on first and, in some cases, wearing them before deciding whether to keep or pass along. Of all of these outfits, my favorite was probably the bottom one with the bright cardi, graphic tee and olive denim. I wore the green joggers in the first picture and felt uncomfortable the whole time. They are going into the purge pile. I love them on the hanger but not on the hips.
- Loft floral top, Loft olive joggers, comfy black tennies
- Old Navy denim skirt, Versona kimono, Loft brown tee, Amazon cowgirl boots
- Brown wide leg denim from H&M, Loft blouse, leopard flats
- Amazon tee shirt dress, sandals, neckerchief
- Loft sweatshirt, Old Navy balloon jeans, olive suede loafers
- Loft pink crocheted cardi, graphic tee from Etsy, JCP olive denim, Skechers sparkly slip-ons shoes
2023 WOTY Update: Consistent
I have been pretty consistent with all the things this month. Yay me!!
- completed a Supernatural workout 4X a week except when I was in Tennessee
- ran 1.75 miles 2 times each week, again except when I was in Tennessee
- swam twice each week of the month – you know ^^^
- started doing ab work (need to up my game)
- completed one Step Bet and have met my steps for 4 weeks for a second Step Bet Challenge
- have been doing quiet time 4 times a week
- read 1 adult book and have almost completed 3 more, plus a pile of children’s picture books
- did a couple of Monday manis, had my eyebrows threaded and my hair trimmed regularly
- working out my brain with Wordle everyday, have added Connections and Spelling Bee to my brain workouts
- deleting unnecessary images from my photo galleries regularly
- cleaning my phone of junk files daily
- Cadence is doing Duolingo for extra credit in Spanish, so I am doing it again for extra credit with Cady and currently have a 34-day streak going
How would you rate your month? I think I would give ours an 8 overall. That’s two months that rate an 8 in a row. PC took a stressful trip to Ohio and came back with Covid; but I traveled to Tennessee and had a wonderful time. Hardly seems fair.
Thank you for coming by. Hope your week is off to a great start. I am catching up on blog reading, upping my exercise – these postmenopausal hips and stomach are getting out of hand, hoping to write and paint some, too. Find some time for you, this week!!
Hugs and kisses,