Good morning, good evening, good night, my friends. Thanks for joining me for Sentence a Day 01.2024 – a monthly review of my January in one run-on sentence a day.
Well, 2023 ended with a colossal fail. A big RED F in the blogging department. Not only did I flunk out of writing my sentence a day for December, and even part of November, but I just gave up blogging all together. In every sense of the word.
No blog writing.
No blog reading.
No blog commenting.
But I am back. Going to give this thing one more shot before I hang it up for good. New year, new resolve. New energy. Kinda.
Sentence a Day & OGT 2024
If I don’t blog any more than just my Sentence a Day post, I hope to at least continue to do these posts to help me keep track of LIFE. And when I do manage to get an SaD post together, I am hoping to make the What’s Been on Your Calendar? link-up with Deb at Deb’s World, Sue who blogs at Women Living Well After 50, Donna from Retirement Reflections and Jo who can be found at And Anyways, which opens on the last Friday of each month. We’ll see how things go.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links which are usually italicized. If you click or make a purchase from an italicized link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
And you can find where I link-up on this page.
Sentence a Day 01.2024
The new year started with a quiet evening followed by a whirlwind trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico with PC, the girls and their families further followed by ups and downs but ended on a high note. Have a look.
Happy for a New Year
- Welcome, 2024. Glad you are here. Praying you are a gentler year than your predecessor. We started our day, week, month, year with quiet time in bed followed by breakfast, a futile search for somewhere to get our hair cut; drop-in visit with Rosie and Lily; ironing, scrapbooking with Valerie, laundry, leftovers and an episode of “007: The Road to a Million”. 01.01.2024 OGT: quiet start to the year
- One of those days, and so early in the year; appointment at DPS to change my name on my license to match the school district’s version of my name at my retirement, which has become the IRS version of my name so that I can close my Robinhood account; didn’t have appropriate documents and they wouldn’t accept my birth certificate as an official birth certificate; over the mountain to get my oil changed only to learn it would be a 3 hour+ wait at the dealer for my ‘free’ change – dropped by Jiffy Lube instead; home to pack and repack, finish laundry, pick up around the house; picked up grocery order and Taco Tote and baked a cherry pie to take to Brennyn and Tafa in Santa Fe; hoped to get to bed early but didn’t happen. 01.02.2024 OGT: safe travels for Lauren and fam to Santa Fe
Family Road Trip
- Loaded up the cooler with food, and the car with all the things for the trip; picked up cocoa that Lauren had forgotten to pack for Santa Fe; did a drop-in visit for Lily and Rosie who had made several messes in the house, filled their litter box and were very hungry; got them situated then home to jump in the car for snow mountain; I drove most of the way; worrisome texts from Brennyn saying Declan ‘flowed up’ as Cami would say, shortly after they started for New Mexico, and they and the car were a mess ; we arrived at dinner time; Brennyn and fam came in just behind us and Lauren and fam met us at our AirBnB for dinner; so nice to have everyone around the table at Mac Santa Fe; my mama/grandma heart is full; our house is quaint and roomy with a bedroom for everyone; cold tonight and beginning to *S*N*O*W*. 01.03.2024 OGT: safe travels for Brennyn and family from Ft. Worth to Santa Fe
- Brrrr, fresh snow had fallen and continued to fall throughout the day; after breakfast we all met at Meow Wolf; so much to take in and a bit overwhelming for Declan so he, Bren and Mustafa headed home after an hour; the rest of us meandered through the lights, glitter, magic that was this crazy art exhibit; home for leftover mac-n-cheese and a nap/quiet time; ice skating with Cady, Cam, Cia and Lauren – we spectated and videoed; planned to eat take out at Lauren’s beautiful rental space but the icy roads kept Mustafa from being able to get up the hill to their house; PC and I turned around and headed back to our place; watched movies and played with Declan for several hours before bed. 01.04.2024 OGT: Mustafa was able to maintain control of his car on the wintry roads
Playing in the Snow
- Snow Mountain!! Up early for breakfast, packed lunches and dressed in multiple layers for a day of tubing on snow mountain – Cia’s name for Hyde Memorial State Park; Cady saw what she thought was a mouse and sure enough we all began seeing it scampering around the house so I called our AirBnB host who brought inhumane (waaaa!!) mouse traps to set about; Cady and I were first on the slopes and took turns using our tube to come down the gentlest slope; the rest of the gang arrived and Dec was less impressed with snow than he was with Meow Wolf; we did pull him around a little in a tube and took him down a couple of slopes before Bren and Taf took him home; the rest of us tubed and had a picnic lunch; PC, Cady and I came home as the 24* temps were bone chilling once the sun moved behind the clouds; Lauren, Francisco and the girls stayed another couple of hours – Cia and now Cami love the snow; met at La Fonda Plazuela for dinner; Cam had a meltdown in the car so she and Francisco were a little late joining us; these babies are struggling with all the activities and being so busy; home to play some more with Dec before bed; the brazen mouse bounded from behind the couch, across the living room and dove into a 1″ hole in the hardwood floor. Worrisome with a 2 year-old playing right there at the same time. 01.05.2o24 OGT: beautiful snow and the way it makes everything pristine
Mouse in the House
- Awoke in the night to pained squeaks from the kitchen – the mouse? – made me sad for him as I know he was just cold and hungry but HANTA virus; we all dreaded checking the traps and discovered the worst; PC, my hero, freed the dead rodent and put him in a bag for the host to see; we were all a little bummed but relieved, too; met Lauren’s family at the ice skating rink at the beautiful Genoveva Chavez community center; Dec walked all over the place while the girls skated; we played with a basketball, ran up and down the halls, climbed up and down the stairs; we picked up Subway with Cady then everyone went home for lunch and a break; I enjoyed photographing the snow on fence posts, tree branches, walkways; all 3 girls became pretty confident about skating on their own, even 3 year-old Cam; met for dinner at Olive Garden – thanks to my brother Kevin who treated us to a meal; everyone was jovial, and talkative and hungry; stopped by Loretto Chapel so I could offer a prayer of thanksgiving for PC’s recovery from cancer and our time together as a family; took a very chilly 19* walk around the block at 10 pm to get my steps; boy, our bed and the heater felt good tonight. 01.06.2024 OGT: family love, grateful to God for PC’s recovery
- Brennyn and her family were up before sunrise to start their long trek back home; we bid them farewell then climbed back under the covers for a few more hours; packed up our car, did a tour around the house to be sure we had everything and then headed out for home ourselves; stopped for a sandwich in Socorro; home by 3:30 pm; quickly unpacked the car and then headed for Casita Linda’s for an early dinner; football and laundry until bedtime; the kitties were glad to see us; Brennyn got home about 4:30 and Lauren about 5:30. 01.07.2024 OGT: safe travels home for everyone
- Happy 4th birthday, Camila Jean!! I am glad you were born. With the forecast of very cold temps and a slight chance of snow, schools and Ft. Bliss were on a 2-hour delayed start so we slept late; did quiet time before stepping out of bed into the chilliness; I spent the day washing clothes, unpacking our suitcases and putting everything away; and chasing our patio and balcony lawn furniture where it was blowing all around our yard – incredible 70 mph wind gusts; when PC got home, we went over the mountain to celebrate Cami’s birthday with pizza and cake and presents, but we were home by 8:00 pm; Cia is still struggling to eat…so worrisome. 01.08.2024 OGT: my baby Cami was born
Back to Writing
- Sleeping so well, thank goodness, and thanks to the magnesium citrate I am taking; Paul was on delayed start again today with the cold temps, so we did QT then had a real breakfast before he left for work; I folded laundry, finished the last loads; fought with the pool vacuum trying to get it working to clean out all of the leaves and debris in the pool after yesterday’s wind – with no luck; Lauren called in tears of worry over Lucia, took Cami to school and then took Lucia to the pediatrician about her inability to eat, she is being sent for more tests, lab work and a consult with a pediatric gastroenterologist; Facetimed with Bren, Cady and Dec; leftover chicken noodle soup before heading over the mountain for writing; we wrote a 53 word piece about new beginnings. 01.09.2024 OGT: the support of our writing group
- hUmP dAy…this year I am trying to make Wednesday my creative arts day, the day I write, craft and all of those enjoyable things I have put off doing for a long time; I have blocked off 8-10:00 am for writing, and today I wrote on my Purple Dress story, did some blog writing, read a children’s book, and enjoyed my quiet time; ran to pick up groceries, my books on hold at the library, a quick hair cut and Dollar Tree for a few goodies for subbing on Friday; scrapbooked with my sister working on pictures from my 2022 visit to her house; fixed these pork chops for dinner with a baked potato we split and green beans, did Day 1 of this workout, and a Supernatural workout in order to get my StepBet steps; really nice day; Lucia’s ultrasound and lab results are back but we don’t know how to interpret what they show. 01.10.2024 OGT: fun day
Dance, Dance, Dance
- Over the mountain early to take the girls to school and to chaperone the second grade’s New Year’s dance during P.E.; was sad because Cami seemed less than enchanted with me, it feels that all of my grands are growing away from me; I was glad to see Lucia so happy with her friend Maddie, dancing and playing; I joined in their fun, then passed out popcorn and juice and pushed ’round the trash bin to pick up the leftovers; ran to Academy afterward to pick up walking (hiking) sticks for PC’s bday and home; worked on this blog post for Where Bloggers Live, put away the ironing, fixed a Hello Fresh Thai hamburger meal Lauren had given me for dinner; PC had his ultrasound to check for Supernatural workout before bed. 01.11.2024 OGT: seeing my Cia carefree
- Up early for quiet time and then to substitute half-day for a 5th at the elementary up the street where Bren and Lauren attended school; the kids were pretty good but not willing to do the work the teacher left for them; discouraging; home at noon to fix leftover Thai hamburgers, then sat for a few minutes before leaving for the dentist; apparently my teeth are in good shape – hallelujah, and now nice and clean; tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper; we worked on our puzzle for an hour, took a walk before dark and I did another Supernatural; tired tonight; watched the very moving “The Road Dance”. 01.12.2024 OGT: opportunities for health care, dental care
- Saturday…busy day planned; quiet time, breakfast, did a Lucy Wyndham-Read online workout then PC went to his first ball practice of the year, I visited Luna, my Rover.com kitty, finished my pumpkin painting, tidied my loft a little; for date night we split an Outback steak and shrimp dinner then watched the movie “The Boys in the Boat;” walked around the shopping area near the theater to get my steps and stopped at a Starbucks for Chai tea and hot chocolate; home and to bed. 01.13.2024 OGT: date night, good convo, good movie
- Awoke in the night to the distinct and unpleasant smell of kitty urine on my side of the bed – have no idea how or when it might have happened but it happened, and the kitties weren’t in bed with us…hmmmm; held my nose the rest of the night and just dozed; stripped the bed as soon as I woke up; off to church to help with the food pantry, good message at church; so worried about Lucia – still not eating and has lost another half pound; lunch at Jason’s Deli, I needed veggies!!; walked around the Fountains at Farrah; did my visit with Luna; stopped in to clean litter box and check food for a new Rover kitty, Ahri – but no sign of kitty, and the apartment is a mess; scrapbooked and visited with Valerie for a bit; cheese and crackers for supper; blog work tonight. 01.14.2024 OGT: blessed to be a blessing
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- MLK, Jr. Day. Happy birthday, MLK, thankful for your contributions to civil rights. PC was off today but Lauren had to work and Kindercare and school were closed so we agreed to take the girls for a few hours; picked them up at 10:30, home to play while I fixed lunch while the hot tub heated, PC sat with us while we soaked and ate a picnic lunch; AND LUCIA ATE!!; we had picked up some goodies at Walmart that we thought she might eat and she did; mango applesauce, 2 chicken nuggets, and a birthday cake popsicle; took the girls to the park then home; shared the pulled barbecue pork, tater tots and beans I had made with the kids – Cia at that at dinner, too!!; had a 3:30 pm appointment with the urologist’s PA about PC’s ultrasound from Friday and apparently there’s a new issue, a ‘structure’ of some sort 4.5 cm by 4 cm by 4 cm in the pelvic cavity, CT scan on Thursday and teladoc appointment to discuss the results on Monday; we are numb; wrote all of the bloggers with whom I link up for monthly series that I am not going to be able to think about blogging regularly for now; we had Capriotti’s for an early dinner. 01.15.2024 OGT: Lucia ate something
Ups and Downs
- Not sure where this day went, PC was back to work but we were both kind of numb after yesterday’s doctor appointment while being somewhat buoyed by Lucia eating while she was here; Lucia had an appointment with the pediatric gastroenterologist and he recommends an endoscopy; today should have been ironing day but will get that started tomorrow. 01.16.2024 OGT: medical care
- Two days late doing laundry so got that underway early; Lauren called asking me to try to talk Cami down from a terrible tantrum and I did by playing a color game; cleaned up the downstairs, scrubbed the kitchen and bathroom, vacuumed, dusted and mopped; scrapbooked with Valerie in the afternoon, working on pictures of my first trip to see her in Crossville, Tennessee; walked over to check on Ahri kitty but the door was locked and I was unable to get in, had to go to the office, get them to call Maxwell on deployment to get the okay for them to give me a key; put away all the groceries that were on the stairs; cleared out a space in the living room so Ahri could see out the window; fixed this Thai salad recipe for dinner with an Asian salad kit as the base; took a walk before the sun was down; both of us are feeling so tired; Lauren called to say how agreeable Cami had been and Cami told me how much she liked playing the ‘pink game.’ 01.17.2024 OGT: good day
- Up early and over the mountain to take the girls to school so Lauren could make an 8:15 appointment; they were both so good; Cami told me again how much she liked playing the ‘pink game’ when she was being ‘mean’ – her word – yesterday morning; we dropped Cia off at school then stopped to get Dunkin Donuts for Cam and her teachers; that little girl can eat; stopped at Target but didn’t see anything of interest, a lot of picked over junk; today’s high was going to be 71* so stopped to wash my Santa Fe-dirty car; vacuumed, mopped and dusted the upstairs; leftover barbecue for supper; made this WW-friendly dessert; did a standing abs and a Supernatural workout, picked up 12K steps today. 01.18.2024 OGT: the pink game
- TGIF. Long week, glad we have made it to the weekend; picked up my phone first thing to discover an absolutely adorable picture my baby Lucia had drawn for me of “Purr-fect” kitty – made my day; got Paul off to work, then climbed under the covers for my quiet time and to read a little bit but mostly to get warm; decided to finally get busy by going through my closet again – seems I am always doing this but never able to part with much; cleaned out about 30 things I haven’t worn in a while; sorted my drawers, too; took a short walk in the sun; renewed my mom’s yeast and fed my brand new sourdough starter Brennyn sent me; scrapbooked with my sister and put up my fairy lights in my loft; Paul had a dental appointment so was late getting home, brought Chick-fil-a wraps for supper; started watching the series “Suits.” 01.19.2024 OGT: my purrfect kitty picture
- Slept all night without getting up once; lounged in bed for a bit; showered, dressed and headed over the mountain to join the girls for gymnastics while Paul went to baseball; Cia is taking a break from class but Cami was adorable doing her workouts; Cia made a winter dragon picture for Campa and a Valentine red devil kitty for me; went home with Lauren and the girls and played with Cia and Cami for an hour going home; finished my book of the month, The Frozen River, and now listening to the author’s notes; stopped by to try to see Ahri but she was nowhere to be seen, checked her food, water, cleaned her litter boxes, tossed more boxes from the apartment; scrapbooked with Valerie but my Cricut would not cooperate; early dinner at Olive Garden then home to watch Green Bay vs the 49ers, our friend George must be cheering in heaven tonight as his team won. 01.20.2024 OGT: spending time with the girls
- What a nice Sunday. PC dozed off and on until after 8:00 am so I started my day by reading West with Giraffes beside him in bed, it’s a kind of strange book; once he stirred we got ready for church in record time but when I came downstairs to feed the kitties, there was a little orange kitty standing outside our patio doors; he had a collar and tag so we fed him and took him across the street to home; had a mess trying to get to church with all the road construction; arrived 20 minutes late but the message was so good about people needing like-minded people in heir lives for support, warmth; iHop for pancakes; walked around the outlet mall and really enjoyed it, scored 2 pairs of $15 high rise, WOW straight leg jeans at Old Navy and Paul found a great sweater at Lucky; quick stop at Walmart then home; made this WW chili recipe in my new Dutch oven from Brennyn; worked on our writing vision boards for 2024; took a walk in the waning sunshine; watched 2 football games; Francisco has Covid; Supernatural workout, 11K steps. 01.21.2024 OGT: pleasant day with my PC
More Health Worries
- Laundry day; spent most of the morning washing clothes, doing quiet time and reading, and then the call came in from the urologist’s PA with the results from PC’s CT scan – it indicates the fluid pocket or whatever it is is still there, bigger on the CT than it appeared on the ultrasound, and they can’t explain it which is unsatisfactory, he’s to have another CT in 3 weeks to see where we stand but I want a second opinion and I want the doctor to meet with us; family and friends checked in all day to see what we had learned and to encourage us to be aggressive about getting more information; folded clothes and put them away; listened to my Creative Live writing course hosted by author Joyce Maynard; chicken, rice, broccoli casserole for dinner; Francisco has Covid and I was at their house Saturday; my throat hurts. 01.22.2024 OGT: prayers and support of family and friends
- Awoke to rain that continued til mid-morning and then the sun came out; got PC off then did quiet time; read a couple of picture books from the library, thought about a blog post or essay I want to write about doing small things with great love; walked on the treadmill, rode the bike, did the elliptical and row machine; walked to check on Ahri kitty but no sign of her; swept the floor, picked up some of the soldier’s clothes that are lying around; fixed a salad for lunch then heated up the iron and knocked out about 10 pieces; exchanged the Valentine earrings I bought on Sunday that had fallen apart in the bag; picked up a pretzel and soda for Cia who Lauren had asked me to pick up from school and drop off at Mathnasium; grabbed Popeyes tenders for supper and met PC at Whole Foods for a Let’s Write meeting – always fun and uplifting; home to watch “Jonathan & Jesus“. 01.23.2024 OGT: the community of our little writing group
- Wednesdays are becoming my day to write and craft and do what I want to do most of the day, and today was no exception; spent the morning doing quiet time, reading, writing responses to the questions in To Our Children’s Children as my mother did for us, worked on my story and on a blog post; took a quick walk in the sunshine, scrapbooked with my sister; flew across town to meet PC at a lawyer’s office to have my name added to the deed to our house – when we bought the house, we weren’t married but married a month later, I was still paying off my Chapter 13 bankruptcy so we didn’t add my name to the loan but now I am finally on there; we indulged in Jason’s Deli for dinner; Lauren has Covid now; watched TV and did some blog reading tonight. 01.24.2024 OGT: fun day
- The most magnificent sunrise greeted me this morning – oh, the colors; got PC out the door and did my quiet time back under the covers; once it warmed up a bit, I straightened the balcony furniture that had blown over a week ago; washed off the patio furniture and rug, cleaned up the stray kitty house and food bowl; trimmed 5 bushes, swept the front porch; did my 10-5-5-5 workout (treadmill, bike, elliptical, rowing machine); took a quick walk in the sun; finished a scrapbook page from my 2022 visit to my sister’s house in Tennessee; leftover chili for dinner; Supernatural workout; we finished our Christmas puzzle…now on to my snowmen!! 01.25.2024 OGT: working in the yard
Book of the Month
- Awoke in the middle of the night to a very hard rain adding the final rinse, I guess, to my clean patio; cold and damp but sunny this morning; Paul went to the batting cages with some baseball buddies then picked up his CT scan results (yikes, so many different problems mentioned) but looks like he definitely has another infection if not an abscess; emailed the book summaries to the book club for voting for our February book of the month; dropped off our updated deed to the tax assessor so that we can get a break on our property taxes – $7K+ a year; went to the commissary for groceries followed by Popeyes, and a walk around officers’ quarters on Ft. Bliss then home to unpack and put everything away; poor Declan is sick again, this time with horrible diarrhea, these poor babies – someone is always sick; watched US Nationals skating competition and did blog reading; Supernatural workout…ding, ding, ding – it’s bedtime. 01.26.2024 OGT: rain, the break on our property taxes
- Enjoyed spending the day at home puttering around doing projects and scrapbooking; pulled dandelions with screwdrivers all over the back and side yards; we walked over to Ahri’s apartment and PC found her behind the washing machine; I scrubbed the tub, put snacks in the kitty bowls, cleaned litter boxes and swept the floor but kitty never came out; picked up photos at Walgreens; made progress on a 2-page scrapbook spread; grilled a steak for dinner; we talked to Matt and he sounded good; he goes to court for the assault charge one final (we hope) time on Monday; Lauren sent the cutest photos Lucia had taken with her phone of their doll house; watched the “Jennifer Crumbley Oxford School Shooting” trial and did some blog reading. 01.27.2024 OGT: working around the house with PC
- Couldn’t drag myself out of bed so we were late to church; message about how the church community is good for us, being in church gives us a strong foundation for life; filled bags of food in the pantry after service; lunch at Taco Tote; walked around the outlet mall without buying a thing; DQ blizzard for the trip back across the mountain; feeling kind of headachy, hope it isn’t Covid; scrapbooked with Valerie; grilled cheese for dinner; Supernatural workout then watched the Detroit Lions play the 49ers; Kansas City and 49ers will go to the Super Bowl; still have a headache. 01.28.2024 OGT: helping in the pantry
- PC canceled our alarm and called in so he could stay home until we heard from Matt’s sentencing for the assault charge he received last spring when he was struggling and off his medication; we are pleased that the judge sentenced him to 2 years probation with several very important stipulations that he must adhere to; by the time PC got off to work, most of the morning was gone and I was scrambling to get things done; laundry, check; vacuum, mop and dust downstairs, check; clean the kitchen, check; did a 7 minute ab workout with Valerie; fixed these WW friendly chicken enchiladas for dinner; after dinner walk and Supernatural gave me 12K steps for the day and I tracked, too; announced winning book for our book club February read. 01.29.2024 OGT: the thoughtful judge that worked with Matt
Winding Up the Month
- Busy day getting things done around the house; got PC off to work; finished last load of laundry; folded and put everything away; dusted, vacuumed upstairs and cleaned bathroom; had groceries I couldn’t get at the commissary delivered from Walmart; walked over to check on Ahri and found her hidden in a pile of clothes; had my eyebrows threaded; bought Valentines towels at Marshall’s; puzzles for 5th grade tomorrow at Dollar Tree; picked up book of the month at the library, The Secret Book of Flora Lea by Patti Henry; this inside-out egg roll was dinner and a zero-point Weight Watcher cheesecake for desert. 01.30.2024 OGT: accomplishing things on my to-do list
- Up early to do quiet time and get breakfast and lunches packed before subbing for 5th grade up the street at Nixon Elementary, the kids were pretty well behaved and we had some fun drawing the school’s mascot for a 5th grade tee shirt design contest; fixed ham and corn chowder for dinner that was easy to prepare and yummy, too; Supernatural workout before bed. 01.31.2024 OGT: payday
And with that January is gone and I am already behind in writing my sentences for February. Woe is me!!
1 Sec Each Day
Here’s the 1 Sec Each Day video compilation for the month. If you blink, you’ll miss it!!
And the Clothes, the Clothes
My Ageless Style friends shared their favorite blue jeans looks this month. I had hoped to join them for the series but just couldn’t get myself together to do so. Even had some new jeans to share as I have purchased 5 pairs of new jeans this month in an effort to get some straight and flare jeans that I can wear flats and tennies with. Looking forward to wearing them in February and beyond and allowing my poor tootsies to recover from years of wearing heels.
Here are some of the looks I put together in January for church, date night or substitute teaching.
2024 Word of the Year (WOTY)
I know what I hope to achieve with my word of the year but have had trouble finding exactly the right one word to describe it. Going to go with ‘lighten’ as I like that I can apply the act of lightening to a number of areas of my life. But most of all, learning to let it go, let it go and lighten up. To let go and let God. Look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Lighten my load. Nothing terribly profound.
Selecting the word consistent for 2023 did help me attempt to keep to a routine. Until LIFE stepped in and kicked it to the curb. But I began prioritizing some of the things I wanted to do over the things I thought I needed to do but could set aside for a day or two.
Thinking of this word ‘lighten’ as an extension to being consistent.
How would you rate your first month of 2024? I think I would give ours a 6 overall. If we could just resolve this health thing with PC once and for all, I think life would lighten up!! See what I did there? Already trying to find ways to work that WOTY into my life this year. Have you selected a WOTY for 2024?
Thank you for coming by. Hope your year is off to a great start. Find some time for you, this weekend!!
Hugs and kisses,