Sweet friends, first and foremost, if you have been hanging out with me over the years and are still out there – a huge hug of gratitude goes out to you. You know how loopy and dingy and hit-or-miss I can be and yet, you are somehow still here. You are still here, right? Anyone??
I wouldn’t blame you a bit if even my staunchest pals have abandoned my ship as it is usually mid-capsize at any given moment. But I am feeling (naively?) optimistic about 2023. Enthusiastic about this new year – for some reason I cannot pinpoint. Here on the 9th day of the new month and new year, I am buoyed by the delightful weekend we just enjoyed, the busy week ahead and the words of my devotional today. It is a Monday and Mondays are becoming my favorite days. The day to get back on track, to start that diet, finish that book, begin the great purge I’ve been promising to undertake, to run that mile.
…And to visit the blogs of my blogging buddies, the pages of my Facebook friends and the posts of my Instagram pals. I have begun that very thing, and in doing so came across my friend Dara’s post and link-up. Dara, Adrienne, Jen, Joanne, Lauren, and Sarah all host a series call “Not Just a Mom.” And while I enjoy their posts, I am far older than these gals and have not joined their link-ups for that reason. Today’s link-up, though, is multi-generational. For moms, grandmoms and great-grandmoms alike. Wonder if I will live to be a great grandma??? Today the girls are (re-)introducing themselves to their readers.
Sooooooo, today I am re-introducing myself to you, if you’re still out there!!
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links which are usually italicized. If you click or make a purchase from an italicized link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
It’s Just Me
I really liked the way Dara just used bullet points to sum up who she is. Dara is always concise. Oh, to be concise!! But I also have 20 years on Dara so that should allow me a few more bullets, right? Here we go.
- have been mom to my precious Brennyn Alexis for 38 years
- and mom to my precious Lauren Allegra for 36 years
- refer to my husband Paul as PC for Paul Clingan AKA Prince Charming, we’ve been married since 2008, together with some starts and stops since 2003…he is truly my PC in most every way
- kissed too many frogs and was married too many times before PC – another lifetime ago – told you I was old
- loved almost every minute of my 25+ year career as a children’s librarian
- have a Bachelor of Science in Art Education from the University of Tennessee and a Master’s in Library Science from the University of North Texas
- recently lost my 95-year-old mom and lost my father in 2012
- have a creative, funny younger sister Valerie and a passionate, funny younger brother Kevin; 2 nephews and 1 niece
- am the proud Mimi, Meem, Gabba and Gabby to 4 of the bestest babies in the world – my grandchildren Cadence Ellie (12), Lucia Carolina (6), Camila Jean (3), and Declan Ashraf (1)
- am mother-in-law (and all the evil that title conjures) to my patient and loving sons-in-law Mustafa (from Afghanistan married to Brennyn) and Francisco (from Mexico married to Lauren)
- am an introvert and not very social. I feel anxious in most social situations but I like to think I have a number of friends whom I hold near and dear…even if we don’t ‘do’ lunch.
- love animals and am the mommy to Purrsimmony and Purrsnickitty, our 2 nine-year-old kitties
So, that’s who I am in relationship to others. Kind of a summary of my roles, or a list of the most important hats I wear or have worn.
But there’s more to each of us than just who we are in relationship to someone else. I am also a combination of all the things that I love to do and those things that interest me.
- love to be creative…although I get very anxious about it sometimes, for fear of making a mistake. I scrapbook, paint a little, have done mosaics, and other craft projects. My sister Valerie and I Facetime and scrap several times a month when LIFE allows.
- read. And I host a Facebook reading club? group? page? called “Come Read With Me.” We have 122 members which just amazes me and are reading So Long, Chester Wheeler by Catherine Ryan Hyde for our January book. So good!!
- like to hike, run (less now than in earlier years), swim, exercise. We have a small at-home gym in the garage and I enjoy doing virtual reality workouts, too.
- enjoy writing and keep saying I am going to write a book. In fact, I purchased Write Your Story through CreativeLive just before Christmas. Now to do the course and write the story.
- like to take pictures. Ad nauseum if you ask my fam. But so what. Doesn’t cost anything. Doesn’t hurt anyone. And I love sharing my photos on my blog and on Instagram and Facebook and Pinterest…all the things. Everywhere. Shameless plug…I am doing a winter photo challenge. Hoping to photograph something for each of the prompts below and share here, there, everywhere before the first day of spring.
- have fun dressing up. On a typical day it is gym clothes minus the gym. But I like having an occasion to dress for the day – subbing or church or date day/night with PC.
- love to love. Family, friends, children, animals.
That, I would say, sums me up fairly well, if not concisely.
Now it’s your turn. Come join us and link-up an About Me post if you are a fellow blogger. Or give me your best Reader’s Digest condensed summary of who you are in a comment below. I do have an About Me page that I haven’t visited in some time. Might be (over)due for an update. There’s more of the minutiae – what a weird word – of who I am on that page.
Thanks, Dara, for sharing this link-up with your readers. Thank YOU for sticking with me. I think I might have happened across my Word of the Year in thinking about and writing this post. Consistent. Or a prettier synonym that means the same thing. Going to try to be more consistent. With everything.
Off to make the bed and get that purging started. Have a productive, pleasant week.
Hugs and kisses,