The end of October is nigh upon us. I thought I would take time this last Tuesday of the month to review my goals and where I am with each of them. Somehow life got in the way of my committing them to habits but thank goodness, every day is a second chance. And if I didn’t drink my water from my big bubba yesterday, I can get up and do it today. And tomorrow. Until I almost do it automatically without thinking, without excuse.
So let’s review, a plus sign means I did pretty well in meeting my goal, a minus sign means not so much:
- Exercise for a minimum of 30 minutes five days a week.
–I have done some form of exercise I would say, maybe three times a week. My car wreck on October 8th, interfered in my sweatin’ it up but I have been cleared to return to my normal activities by my neurosurgeon so I am back on track. Hiked up McKelligon Canyon on Sunday. Forgot again on Monday.
- Drink 52 ounces of water a day from my big ‘bubba’ insulated drink container. It is actually called a “keg”. I associate that with beer drinking, though.
+Probably almost everyday. And if not from big bubba, from son of big bubba – my other drink container which only holds 48 ounces. I am going to give myself a plus on this goal.
- Write everyday. Somewhere. On something. Either here, on one of my story ideas or in my journal. Fall challenge posts and texts don’t count.
–If I could count texts and emails, I could consider this goal a habit. I have written nine blog posts. So something like every third day. I have gone to a writing workshop twice on Saturdays. Five journal entries this month. So all totaled, I have written about 50% of the time.
- Have a devotional time everyday that consists of reading Jesus Calling and look up the verses mentioned there in the Bible.
–I can honestly report I am doing much better about my devotional time. Not up to every single day but certainly working toward that. And I am looking up the verses mentioned in Jesus Calling. A big atta girl for me. But no plus sign yet.
- Track my Weight Watcher points and activity everyday except Saturday.
—What? Yup, minus minus on this one. Blame the car wreck. Blame my body’s desire to store fat for the coming winter. I call it hibernation mode. But I haven’t been exercising as much as I should and I haven’t been tracking my points. Fat as mud as my mother would say. But back on track (pardon the pun) this week, though.
- Hug and kiss my husband Paul when he leaves and returns home from work and before we go to bed. (And when the mood strikes otherwise)
–Should be the easiest of all to do. Shouldn’t have to even make a goal of kissing MY MAN. But I am sad to say I failed here, too. Failed is such a harsh word, though. Ummm, didn’t succeed…I didn’t succeed in kissing Paul everyday as he leaves and returns home from work and before we went to sleep. We did kiss twice today when he left for work. Step in the right direction.
- Do something specifically for me, for myself once a week. (Get a mani, or scrapbook, or cross stitch, paint)
+Ha! Of course, I managed somehow to meet this goal. Wonder why? Because it is all about ME. And doing something fun. I have scrapped three times or so this month. Had one mani so far. Did work on my cross stitch until I realized I had somehow cross stitched everything backwards. Not even sure how that is possible. But I did it. I ran out and bought new cross stitch fabric or Aida cloth to start again rather than ripping out the mistakes. I will, I will, I will get started on cross stitching before the week/month is out.
So what can I deduct here. What lesson can be learned?
I like to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
That setting goals is the easy part? Realizing them, not so much.
But if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.
And that I probably need to add a goal for eating chocolate everyday.