Ladybugs 🐞🐞🐞, it’s time for Currently 08.2021. As always, on the first Wednesday of the month, I am joining my friend Anne at In Residence for this link-up. In this edition we are sharing what we are currently: admiring, anticipating, enjoying, saving and spending. If you missed last month’s Currently post, you can read it, here.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
As I began this post I was just counting the hours, minutes and seconds (10 hours, 39 minutes, 14 seconds) til we got on the plane the next morning heading for South Padre Island. Had planned to finish it up the post while on vacation. But the Internet at our condo was rather hit or miss. When my computer froze one night, I gave up trying to blog.
Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig
We are home now. Got home last night and fell into bed. While I missed the sound of the surf, I didn’t miss the sand in our sheets!! We had a few hiccups on our trip but there was lots of sun, sea and sand. Got the laundry all washed up today. Even trying as hard as we did to shake and wash out the beach of everything before packing it back up for home, we still managed to bring home enough of the stuff to fill a child’s sandbox.
Yet, here I am currently…
the beach. The photos we took at South Padre Island. Powdery off-white sand, warm, clear Gulf waters. The shells I found. My tan lines!! Spectacular sunrises and sunsets.
the beach. Our next trip to the playa, that is. We had a wonderful time at South Padre but PC and I both prefer all-inclusive resorts to having a condo with a kitchenette and having to cook. One morning I made this breakfast casserole for everyone. It is quick and easy. My mother-in-law May shared the recipe with me. But I found it on Pinterest, too. Would probably be really good with some crumbled sausage or bacon mixed in.
the beach. Its sights and sounds. Water lapping at the shoreline. Thunder when a summer storm threatened one afternoon. Seagulls. Children laughing. Old rock and classic country songs competing with each other for air time up and down the beach. Beach snacks and a cold beer.
memories from…the beach. In the form of photos, a few sea shells, and a lot of love tucked away in my heart.
too much money at the beach. But I will get back to saving. Our Seabreeze Condo was a 2 bedroom so my sister Valerie came down to vacation with us for a few days. It had all the comforts of home.
Oh, I do love the beach. Currently and forever.
Because I don’t do a hodgepodge post with Joyce every week, I didn’t realize there wouldn’t be questions to answer this week. Joyce is entertaining company and wanted to enjoy every precious moment with them. I applaud, you, friend!! The hodgepodge questions I am answering today were shared on Joyce’s blog, From This Side of the Pond, last week.
1. Four words that tell us something about your July? Baseball, beach, birthdays, babies.
2. Four of your favorite summer foods? Fancy you should ask. I shared them in a recent post, here. Recipes and all. But one thing I failed to mention there was ice cream.
3. What were you doing at a quarter past four yesterday? Sitting on board a Southwest Airlines plane waiting to depart Harlingen, Texas for Dallas. Then Dallas to home.
4. fore!, four letter word, four sheets to the wind, ten-four, 24/7, four eyes, these four walls….pick a ‘four’ phrase and tell us how you relate currently. Tough one. I guess these four walls…as in, I am glad to be back home, within these four walls of our house. While I love love love the beach, it wouldn’t be as special if I could go all the time. Glad to be home so I can anticipate my next beach vacay. Whenever that might be.
5. Something you own that is four years old? Our pool. With all of its many issues, it’s still a great place to relax…if I can ignore the cracked concrete and rusting rebar poking through the plaster.
6. Insert your own random thought here. I just received an invitation to sub in a library where I did a long-term sub job once before several years ago. Trying to decide if I want to accept it or not. Looking at my bank account after our vacation and then thinking about Christmas right around the corner, I think I need to. But only if it is for a short time. And for long-term sub pay, which is twice the rate of short-term pay. Here is a photo from the Whitaker library taken one of the first days I worked there in 2017.
Summer Goals Update
Have made a little forward progress on my summer goals.
Finish the spring cleaning –
downstairs, garage, freezer in the garage, and the storage shed. Had started on the downstairs guest room before we left for the beach. And have begun weeding through my many seasonal decorations. As much as I have loved decorating for holidays and different seasons, my numerous storage bins in the garage have been a bone of contention with PC. Gave away a lot of my summer decorations a few weeks ago. But my fall things will be the hardest to part with. Will get back at it. Tomorrow.
Write at least 2 blog posts on my original life after retirement theme –
have moved away from my original direction and intent for blogging, time to get back on track. Thankful to Leanne for extending an invitation to me to guest post on her blog. I shared my struggle to recover my sense of belonging since retiring. You can read it, here. Will be writing another post to my original theme in the next few days.
Run the equivalent of a marathon –
keeping track of how much I run these days, want to run 26.2 miles by summer’s end. I am trying to keep track of what I run on my Sentence a Day entries. According to what I ran in July, I am up to 8.6 miles. Plus 10.1 miles in June. Going to soon have this goal in the bag.
What’s going on in your life currently? What would your responses be to this month’s prompts? If you have a currently post, be sure to link it up with everyone else’s over at Anne’s. Click here to be whisked away to her blog and link up party.
Thank you for stopping by. Hope all is well in your world.
Hugs and kisses,