This quick post is going to serve 2 purposes. To promote this year’s Christmas giveaway and to share 10 Favorite Gifts for 10 on the 10th. I do realize that it is the 14th and if I don’t type fast it is going to be the 15th. But I had so many other posts in the works this week. And the giveaway didn’t open until today so I decided to combine the two into one! My chum Whitney at The Perfectly Imperfect Mama hosts these monthly link-ups. They are always fun to do.
10 Favorite Gifts
The last few years, we have been paring back our Christmas spending. This year, the budget is going to be hacked to bits with our concern for PC’s job situation. But you know what, none of us need a single thing. Super excited that for a few days after Christmas, I am going to have both of my daughters, their daughters and husbands all together. And we are going to make lots of good memories. No better gift we can get or give.
So rather than write up a list of things from Amazon we can give each other, I am going to suggest a few things we can do together to make the world a little better place.
‘Tis Better To Give
- Pick up trash. We can go on one of our favorite walks along the Franklin foothills or up McKelligon Canyon Road and pick up trash along our way.
- Take donations to the El Paso animal shelter. They can always use old towels, bedding, treats and toys. It would be good for both Cady and Lucia to learn to help animals. Both girls are already animals lovers.
- Collect food for church. Our church, Abundant Living Faith Center, has a year-round food pantry. Often times, organizations are inundated with food during the holidays but don’t have food in March or September. We can give food several times a year.
- Provide books for some Little Free Libraries. There are several LFLs at the park where PC plays baseball in the warmer months. Most of the time they are empty with no books at all. I have also seen several LFLs at the school where I have been subbing. Time to weed out my children’s books and share. Maybe our family can become the steward for one of the Little Free Libraries.
- Donate arts and crafts supplies to the children’s hospital. I have more craft stuff than I can shake a stick at. Going to put together a box of things for the children hospitalized over the holidays at the El Paso Children’s Hospital. They need all kinds of items – puzzles, stationary, stamping kits, coloring books, crayons, playing cards, board games.
- Adopt a classroom through Donors Choose. Some of the classrooms in the El Paso area need ink for printers, art supplies, headphones, books for their classroom library.
- Provide a new blanket to the Extreme Weather Task Force (EWTF). This time of year, Walmart sells soft, plush throws for less than $10. The El Paso Fire Department is accepting the blanket donations.
- Put together a care package for a deployed soldier. And for our own soldier in Basic Training, my nephew Trey. There’s a great list of groups that sponsor care packages, here. According to this list, some of the things soldiers really want and need include models, playing cards, 3M wall hooks, puzzles, baseballs and gloves (do we ever have some of those!).
- Check with the Ambrosio Guillen Texas State Veterans Home to see what donations they need. Put together little donation bags with most requested supplies.
- Take a name from the Christmas angel tree. Or check with my friend Veronica at Focus on Family for the name of a child who won’t have Christmas without a little help this year.
So that’s my list of 10 favorite gifts. It’s my guess that we could make a small difference in our community by donating to each of these worthwhile projects and still not spend the money we would normally spend on gifts.
Gifts for the Grands
We have pretty much agreed that we won’t give to the adults this year. Brennyn and Mustafa will have the expense of coming home. Lauren and Francisco will have the expense of baby #2 in January. And PC and I are worried about employment beyond 01.31.2020. I am thinking maybe stocking stuffers for the adults and then lots of free activities and memory making merriment together.
But what about the grands? My darling Cadence and Lucia? They both have more than enough of everything but still…it’s Christmas. So, this year I am going to stick to the 5 gift rule. Never heard of it? Have a look.
Five Gift Rule
I discovered a version of this on Pinterest a few weeks ago. It was actually a 4 gift rule. Then came across a 5 gift variation, here, on Danielle’s blog. Really like the addition of the 5th gift…something they want but just don’t know it yet! Going to go with the 5 gift rule for my grandgirls. Will let you know how it goes.
Onto the Giveaway
It’s time for a Christmas giveaway! Are you getting geared up for the shopping season? Do you need extra cash for Christmas?? Don’t we all!
We are so excited to be giving away $430 in cash prizes for you to use starting this Thanksgiving weekend.
Here are the prizes:
1 – $150 Amazon Gift Card
1 – $100 Target Gift Card
2 – $50 Walmart Gift Card
1 – $50 Kohls Gift Card
2 – $15 Starbucks Gift Cards
There will be 7 winners in this giveaway. Each winner will receive a gift card code to use either in the online store or in the actual store.
Now its time to meet our wonderful co-hosts who have made this giveaway possible.
Starting at the top row we have:
Tammy – My Life Abundant | Heather –The Super Mom Life | Carrie – Curly Crafty Mom | Audry – That Recipe & Munofore | Jodie – Jodie’s Touch of Style | Linda – A Labour of Life | Leslie – Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After | Trish – By Trish Sutton | Susan – Crafting A Family | Debi – Life Currents | Sinea – Ducks ‘n a Row | Gladys – Mom to Grandma | Meredith – The Mom of the Year | Kellyann Rohr – This Blonde’s Shopping Bag | Andrea – Living On Cloud Nine | Michelle – Our Crafty Mom | Kristin – White Arrows Home | Emily – Domestic Deadline | Kathleen – Our Hopeful Home | Jamie – As For Me and My Homestead & Coffee With Us 3 |Ahna – Ahna @ Hammers N Hugs | Lois – Walking on Sunshine Recipes | Christy – Ice Cream N Sticky Fingers | Donna – Blog by Donna | Beverly – Eclectic Red Barn | Lisa – Blogghetti | Erlene – My Pinterventures | Janelle – Num’s the Word |Tammy – Creative K Kids
Please stop by and say hi to these wonderful ladies and their blogs.
The Fine Print
The giveaway will end at 11:59 pm on November 27th on the day before Thanksgiving. You will have 48 hours to respond to the email claiming the prize. If you respond right away, we will get you the gift card code promptly so that you can shop with it on Black Friday! If we don’t hear in 48 hours, we will have to choose another winner.
Open to anyone who can receive gift cards from Amazon, Target, Walmart, Kohls, and Starbucks
How are you going to make memories and help those less fortunate this holiday season? What would your 10 favorite gifts be? Would love to be inspired by your clever ideas.
And if you are a blogger, please join me for my Mini-Christmas Bucket List post. On 11.21.2019, a group of us – and YOU? – will be sharing our mini activity lists for the holidays. Then on 12.21.2019, we will come together to share how we fared on our lists. You know you are going to trim the tree, shop, decorate, bake and pick out that perfect holiday look! Why not put those activities into a mini-Christmas bucket list, share it and then come back with pics of all you accomplished! Hope YOU will join the fun!
Hugs and kisses,