Time for Wellness Wednesday, 10.2019. Reviewing my progress on the wellness goals I established in January. Then talking a moment or two about gratitude. And with that, may I say that I am always grateful for your friendship. Readership. Is that even a thing? You know what I mean, though.
WELLNESS WEDNESDAY 10.2019
Shooting for perfect scores in every area. But I still have some work to do.
PHYSICAL HEALTH 4.5 (Holding steady)
We were riding bikes, hiking, walking and working out quite a bit. But in September, we began to slow down and haven’t gotten back up to speed yet. Going to keep this at 4.5.
- Work back to running 5K (want to run more regularly again) – My leg is much better, hallelujah. Registered for the YMCA Thanksgiving Turkey Trot to be held on 11.28.2019.
- Lift weights (at least 4x a week) – Every time we hit the gym. On average about 4X a week, although we’ve been slacking this month.
- Walk 7,200 steps a day and 3 stories (build walks back into my daily routine) – Getting back on track with the walking. Have begun walking in the mornings some again, with PC these days, and have a hike planned for this weekend. Maybe the pilgrimage up to Mt. Cristo Rey.
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH – 5.0 (HOLDING STEADY)
Keeping this goal a perfect 5.0, too. My lifetime WW weight is 138 and I am keeping my weight at that or a little lower.
- Eat more veggies and fruit (and cook meals at home 4x a week) – In September, we slipped a little on tracking our Weight Watchers points like we should but we are getting back to it this month. I am not wanting to lose any more weight but do want to continue to eat well. Have lots of home cooked meals planned for the groceries we bought today.
- Drink 75 ounces of water a day (pretty good at this already) – Always.
- Alcohol and sweets on weekends – Ice cream is my downfall. But we only indulge a couple times a month. And I usually have a beer or glass of wine on Saturday.
MENTAL HEALTH – 4.0 (Up a point)
Have gone back and forth this summer deducting and adding a half point to this category because I never finish anything. But I have turned a new leaf…just in time for fall…and am actually completing things. Books, art projects. Knowing the end of the year is fast approaching, and I have to wrap up some of these loose ends.
- Work puzzles and play word games, practice Spanish (Wordscapes, Word Classic, jigsaw puzzles, Brainscape/Duolingo) – Happily back to word games and my Spanish practice online.
- Weekly art date (do something creative or attend something artsy) – Painted rocks and worked on my mural recently. Visited the cutest holiday decor shop in El Paso with Lauren. Have several other art dates planned to include something special for Dia de los Muertos. Either Viva Los Muertos at the El Paso Punk Rock Flea Market or the Day of the Dead Festival offered by Fort Bliss Resiliency Through Art. Did the pin-up photo class at Fort Bliss, remember? And maybe Chalk the Block this weekend.
- Read 3 books a month (in order to meet my Goodreads goal) – Continuing to make my best progress in this category with my reading. Finished Ask Again, Please by Mary Beth Keane on Audible during my drives over the mountain and back to help with Lucia. Using Embraced: 100 Devotions to Know God Is Holding You Close by Lisa Terkeurst for my morning quiet time. And am reading Whisper Me This by Kerry Anne King on my Kindle before bed. And our virtual book club just began reading The Girls at 17 Swann Street by Yara Zgheib. It is the story of a young, former ballerina’s battle with eating disorders. A battle I know all too well. Would love to have you join our group! Holler, if you are interested! We have 69 members and with you, we’d have 70. Crazy!!
SPIRITUAL HEALTH – 4.5 (Up .5)
Bumping myself up a half point in this category. May not get my quiet time done first thing in the morning every day but I am fitting it in between the appointments and Cia-sitting.
- Quiet time 5x a week (M-F, bonus points for the weekend) – Packing my Bible, devotional and journaling materials to-go with me on the days I can’t get to it first thing in the morning.
- Attend church more regularly (at least once a month) – Yes, and there’s a women’s conference this week that I would like to attend.
- Gratitude journal before bed – Almost every night.
RELATIONSHIP HEALTH – 4.0 (Up 1.0 point)
This is a tough time for us and we are both on edge and nervous about the job situation. But we are being kind and patient with one another.
- Unplug at 9:00 pm – Not happening as often as it should.
- Date night 2x a month (bucket list activities) – Shared my autumn bucket list, here and we have several ‘free’ date activities planned for the weekend.
- Skype with Brennyn/Cady & Lauren/Lucia (read books to my babies) – I have been talking with Cadence on the phone and FB Messenger quite a bit. She is reading Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed at her mom’s and Junie B. First Grader, Boo! And I Mean It at her dad’s. We are reading both together; I read a page to her and she reads a page to me. Sent my Cady Coo a care package this week and Brennyn called while she ‘unboxed’ the things I’d sent.
MAINTAINING HEALTH – 4.5 (UP .5)
- Use sunscreen on my face daily (moisturizer with SPF) – Using SPF 47 on my face. Returning to use a product to lighten my sun spots. Still haven’t asked for a referral to a dermatologist but will next visit to my new PCP.
- Floss – We’ve had the Turewell Cordless Water Flosser for a month. I like it but the dentist said it isn’t an alternative to flossing. Darn!
- Take vitamins and minerals daily (multi, vitamin B, C, D – LMNOP – flaxseed oil, biotin, magnesium, probiotics) – My vitamin D came back high so I have slowed down on it. And we have cut back on the melatonin that we’ve been taking to ensure a good night’s sleep (but crazy dreams). And since biotin can cause false negatives on blood work, I am only taking it every other day. Everything in moderation, right?
FINANCIAL HEALTH – 4.5 (HOLDING STEADY)
- Save money for Christmas – Have begun!
- Pay off Amazon card – Done. Good progress on the Loft card, too. My credit score is smiling.
- Have money in my checking account at the end of the month – Yes, pennies. But a penny is a penny, right?
- Looking for a part-time job. Still helping with Lucia for a little extra money each week. Making my VIPKids demo video this week. Applied to be a flight attendant with American Airlines. Also watching for sub jobs at schools near our house. Fingers crossed.
Just a few months left in the year to earn a 5 in each category. Now let’s talk a sec about our optional theme…gratitude.
For several years, I have kept a gratitude journal. But there are days when I refuse to think of something to be grateful for because I am overwhelmed by the problems in my life. Terrible attitude but the truth. So, I need to work on that some. Because even on the worse days, I have so very many blessings in my life.
Came across this blog post sharing 34 Ways to Show Gratitude. As we approach Thanksgiving or better yet, just because, it’s helpful to have new ways to demonstrate gratefulness. Hope you will take a sec to check out the whole list. Here are a couple of things that I try to do and am glad to be reminded of again.
- Show off gifts you have received. Maybe ‘show-off’ isn’t exactly the right verb, here. But wear the clothes and jewelry gifted you, display the crafts, read the books. And say thank you again when you do wear – display – read them.
- Share praise. Compliment good service, hard work. Take a moment to go the extra mile and notify the boss or supervisor, write the positive review, pass out an atta boy.
- Hand write letters of encouragement. My BFF Sharon is so thoughtful about doing this. She has sent me several very sweet cards recently because she knows I am down in the dumps right now. And I like to send letters and notes to my mom and her friends. Letter writing is a lost art.
Check out my recent Thankful Thursday post, here, to read some of the things and people I am most grateful for.
How are you progressing on your goals this fine Wellness Wednesday, 10.2019? Won’t you share something you are most proud of in your efforts toward a healthier you? And if you have a wellness related blog post, how ’bout linking it up with us? Then take a few moments to stop by the blogs of some of the others.
Off to bed. Didn’t sleep well last night, making a mental list at 2:30 am of things we can start cutting around here, in case our finances take a big hit soon. Hulu, home phone, collision insurance.
Thank you for being here today for Wellness Wednesday 10.2019, for cheering me on with your kind comments.
Hugs and kisses,