Welcome to Wellness Wednesday 09.2019. When the new year began, I came up with these wellness goals for the year. We have continued the Weight Watchers journey we started in May. And our more rigorous exercise routine. PC is down over 20 pounds and I fluctuate between a 9 to 11 pound loss. Best of all, we both feel so much better.
Here’s how I have fared on my wellness goals over the past month.
Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click a link provided we may receive a very small commission. Thank you for your support!
WELLNESS WEDNESDAY 09.2019
Shooting for perfect scores in every area. But I still have some work to do.
PHYSICAL HEALTH 4.5 (Down .5)
We are riding bikes, swimming, walking, hiking and gym-ing more. Going to give myself a perfect 5 for this goal.
- Work back to running 5K (want to run more regularly again) – Looking for a fall 5K to run. Maybe the 2019 Read A Book Day 1 Mile, 5K, 10K, 13.1, 26.2 on 09.06.2019. Having some issues with my leg so have cut back on running at the gym a little. But having been doing physical therapy so hope to have that on the mend soon.
- Lift weights (at least 4x a week) – Every time we hit the gym. On average between 4-5x a week.
- Walk 7,200 steps a day and 3 stories (build walks back into my daily routine) – We kind of slacked off on our bedtime walks when temps rose into the triple digits and have more or less stayed there. Not reaching 7,200 steps everyday as a result. But we are enjoying cooler days (90s) and evenings (70s) so should be able to resume soon.
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH – 5.0 (HOLDING STEADY)
Keeping this goal a perfect 5.0, too. My lifetime WW weight is 138 and actually weighed 135.8 this week. WHAT??
- Eat more veggies and fruit (and cook meals at home 4x a week) – Continuing to eat much better and still tracking our activity and food points daily. Still enjoying meals out and desserts now and then.
- Drink 75 ounces of water a day (pretty good at this already) – A habit now.
- Alcohol and sweets on weekends – Really have cut back on the alcohol. Not that I ever drank much but drinking even less now. My sweet tooth is curbed with an occasional chocolate kiss, mint or piece of red licorice. And we usually go out for ice cream once a week. I don’t buy it at the grocery store because we would eat it every day if I did. Once a week is perfect.
MENTAL HEALTH – 3.0 (Down .5)
In May, I deducted a half-point from this category because I never finish anything. I have all of these good intentions and projects going but never finish any of them. In June, I gave myself that half point back again, because I did tie up some projects. My August goals had me striving to complete some projects but it didn’t happen. So deducting that point again. Ping-pong.
- Work puzzles and play word games, practice Spanish (Wordscapes, Word Classic, jigsaw puzzles, Brainscape/Duolingo) – Last month I shared that I felt like my mind is going to mush. In preparation for this post, I revisited these apps and really enjoyed myself. Now to get back in the habit!
- Weekly art date (do something creative or attend something artsy) – Sorely lacking in this department. Did scrapbook with my sister for about 5 minutes over the Labor Day weekend, and worked on my mosaic for a sec today but need to do better.
- Read 3 books a month (in order to meet my Goodreads goal) – Continuing to make my best progress in this category with my reading. Finished The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren. Fun read. Just started listening to Ask Again, Please by Mary Beth Keane on Audible during my drives over the mountain and back to help with Lucia. Started using Embraced: 100 Devotions to Know God Is Holding You Close by Lisa Terkeurst for my morning quiet time. And am reading Whisper Me This by Kerry Anne King on my Kindle before bed. It was a bargain and I actually like it better – so far – than Ask Again, Please. Would love to have you join our group! Holler, if you are interested! We have had 5 new members join this week. Crazy!!
SPIRITUAL HEALTH – 4.0 (HOLDING STEADY)
Going to keep myself the same here. We are attending church more regularly. But finding it harder to do quiet time now that I am heading over the mountain M-F to help Lauren with Lucia first thing in the morning. PC has been home more with with the change to his job so my days are a little off-schedule.
- Quiet time 5x a week (M-F, bonus points for the weekend) – Still struggling with figuring out when to do my quiet time. I have been packing my materials to take with me over the mountain on the days that I don’t start with my quiet time at home.
- Attend church more regularly (at least once a month) – Yes but we had a ‘skip’ this past week. I showered and dressed for church, PC showered and dressed for the gym. I changed into gym clothes and we crawled back in bed for a bit.
- Gratitude journal before bed – Almost every night. Recently had the idea of writing prayers every night. Might try that when I finish with this gratitude journal. The book Embraced, mentioned above, is divided into daily readings and each concludes with a prayer. I like that.
RELATIONSHIP HEALTH – 3.0 (Down .5)
Not unplugging like I should and we haven’t really had a date night in a month.
- Unplug at 9:00 pm – Have 4 minutes to do this tonight. Not happening as often as it should.
- Date night 2x a month (bucket list activities) – Shared my summer bucket list, here. We finally had that backwards date…post coming…for our anniversary.
- Skype with Brennyn/Cady & Lauren/Lucia (read books to my babies) – I have been talking with Cadence on the phone and FB Messenger quite a bit. She is reading Junie B. Jones Has a Monster Under Her Bed, and I am going to get it so we can read it together; I can read a page to her and she can read a page to me. Last week read to Cia while she ate breakfast. She loved it. Will do that again soon.
MAINTAINING HEALTH – 4.0 (UP .5)
- Use sunscreen on my face daily (moisturizer with SPF) – Using SPF 47 on my face, and spraying down with sunscreen before going outside for any length of time. Returning to use a product to lighten my sun spots. Going to ask for a referral to a dermatologist since I am having everything else checked out as a result of our insurance changing.
- Floss – Received the Turewell Cordless Water Flosser last week. It is easy to use, except when I forget to turn it off before taking it out of my mouth and wind up flossing my eyes instead. I charge it on the counter and then put the unit in the shower to use until it needs to be recharged.
- Take vitamins and minerals daily (multi, vitamin B, C, D – LMNOP – flaxseed oil, biotin, magnesium, probiotics) – Added probiotics to the mix about a couple of months ago. Seems to help keep me ‘going’. We also take melatonin at bedtime which almost always ensures a good night’s sleep but also some colorful, quite entertaining dreams. Curiously, my endocrinologist told me to get off the biotin at least 10 days before having any blood work. Apparently, biotin can interfere with blood tests results and can cause false negatives. Just FYI.
FINANCIAL HEALTH – 4.5 (HOLDING STEADY)
- Save money for Christmas – Have begun!
- Pay off Amazon card – Done. Now to work on the Loft card.
- Have money in my checking account at the end of the month – Yes. Not a lot so can’t give you a loan, but yes.
- Looking for a part-time job. Have been helping with Lucia for a little extra money each week. Thinking of looking into VIPKids again. Would be a job I could do from home, as well as when I go out of town. Had applied and was only lacking doing a sample lesson when mom got sick last October. Talked about this last month but haven’t done anything more about it. Maybe once I finish my stint helping with Lucia.
Now that you have been thoroughly updated on my goals, if you aren’t already catching some zzzzs, let’s talk about getting healthy sleep.
I am generally a pretty good sleeper, especially since we have begun taking melatonin. But my counselor has cautioned that melatonin can cause very vivid dreams. And I can second that. My dreams were crazy enough on their own but now they run like a double feature movie…an all night drama featuring a parade of long lost acquaintances and settings, but most often with a school library as the backdrop. Going to try weaning myself off of the melatonin except for on nights when I am restless and struggling to fall asleep.
The National Sleep Foundation suggests the following tips to ensure a good night’s sleep. Most of which are probably familiar to you. Note that melatonin does not appear on this list!
- Stick to a sleep schedule, even on weekends.
- Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual.
- Exercise daily.
- Evaluate your bedroom to ensure ideal temperature, sound and light.
- Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
- Beware of hidden sleep stealers, like alcohol and caffeine.
- Turn off electronics before bed.
I am sorely missing my early morning quiet time but can’t seem to drag myself out of bed to do it. I used the National Sleep Foundation’s bedtime calculator, here, to determine that if I want to get 7 hours of sleep and be awake by 5:45 for quiet time, I need to hit the hay by 10:45. That seems very reasonable. Going to start unplugging an hour before bed. Which is one of my wellness goals anyway, and see if I can’t get back to waking for QT before I start my day.
Cat Nap Time
Have been going for physical therapy for my leg/back over the last month. Hate to admit how much I enjoy it. All because I get to stop for about 20 minutes and rest. Catnap. While the PT tech uses a TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) unit on my lower back and hip, then massages me with an ultrasound wand. It has been heavenly. Alleviates the pain I have been experiencing, at least temporarily, while allowing me a little down time to doze.
My mom has always been a big napper. Just 30 minutes but religiously every afternoon. When we were in Panama the stores all closed from about 12:30-2:00 for a siesta. And by golly, I think there is something to that. Going to try to build in a 30 minute siesta for myself on the afternoons I am home.
How are you coming on the wellness resolutions you created at the beginning of the year? Won’t you inspire me with your accomplishments in a comment below? What do you do to ensure a good night’s sleep? If you have a particular trick that works when you are stressed, please, please share that, too. I do okay on good days but those trying days turn into trying nights.
Speaking of gym, PC is chomping at the bit to get going. It is now the next day from when I started this post and I have run raggedy all day long. Finally got home about 3:15 and he was ready to go to the gym at 3:16. Ugh. But I want to get all 5s on my wellness goals. So here I go.
Thank you for stopping by. Hoping to get my fashion haus open tomorrow for a rare style post. See you then?
Hugs and kisses,