Welcome to Wellness Wednesday, 06.2019 and my mid-year goals update. I am super excited to write this post because there has truly been some progress made on my part since last we met for Wellness Wednesday. Anxious to share with you!
Back in January I came up with these wellness goals for the year beginning my wellness journey in 2018 with Natalie at Natalie the Explorer at the helm steering a boat load of us toward health/healthier-ness?? This year started off slowly but PC and I are gathering momentum, rather than moss, at the moment. And I hope to finish the second half of the year in a big way.
Wellness Wednesday, 06.2019: Mid-Year Goals Update
Most months, we share our goals update and then write on a suggested theme. Last month’s theme was B.E.S.T. = breast, eyes, skin and teeth care. In April, we shared tips on mental health. With today’s mid-year post, we are just looking at and bragging about our progress on the wellness goals we established in January. I rate my progress on a scale of 1-5, and have been known to backslide a bit, now and again. But I think I am going to come out smelling like a rose for today!
PHYSICAL HEALTH 4.5 (up 1.0)
- Work back to running 5K (want to run more regularly again) – Ran a 5K in May. Running several times a week, but also doing the elliptical and stationary bikes at the gym, and real-true bike at home. That is until I got a flat. Trying to find someone to fix my flat in the neighborhood now.
- Lift weights (at least 4x a week) – Yes! Every time we go to the gym, which has been about 4X a week. And I have begun lifting a 5 pound dumbbell for our bedtime walks 3-4x a week.
- Walk 7,200 steps a day and 3 stories (build walks back into my daily routine) – Trying very hard to get to 7,200 steps a day, which I know should be simple. But isn’t always when I am home all day. This new bedtime walk routine is helping, though. We walk a little over a mile each night that we take our walk.
NUTRITIONAL HEALTH – 4.5 (up 1.0)
- Eat more veggies and fruit (and cook meals at home 4x a week) – We began Weight Watchers together 3 weeks ago on 05.19.2019. As a result, we are eating more whole food, veggies and fruits, and protein. And we have both lost weight. PC is down more than 10 pounds. I am down about 6 pounds. Put on my size 6 jeans yesterday (accidentally) and they went right on. No shoe horn or buttering of the thighs and hips required! We ate the Mexican corn above instead of lunch when we went to the mountains over Memorial Day weekend. Speaking of which, have you tried my Mexican corn recipe?
- Drink 75 ounces of water a day (pretty good at this already) – I have done well with this for several years now. But my Prince is another story. He loves a real Pepsi. With all his heart. Giving up Pepsi has been tough but one of the keys to his weight loss success. And I bought him a jug to fill with ice water that he tries to drink instead.
- Alcohol and sweets on weekends – Oh, I miss my sweets. Although, we really never have had baked goods in the house much. But we have them even less now. And alcohol – a beer or glass of wine – on the weekend only.
SPIRITUAL HEALTH – 4.0 (Up .5 )
- Quiet time 5x a week (M-F, bonus points for the weekend) – Back on track. Enjoying quiet time outside most weekday mornings.
- Attend church more regularly (at least once a month) – We have begun going just about every Sunday morning. Have switched from Saturday night service to Sunday because PC’s games run so late some days, it was hard to make the 5:00 pm Saturday service. And on Sundays, we tend to dress up more, which gives me a reason to wear heels and skirts.
- Gratitude journal before bed – Almost every night. Came across the idea of writing prayers at night. That might be something to try, although, I can imagine being up all night doing it and still not getting them all written.
MENTAL HEALTH – 3.5 (up .5)
Last month, I deducted a half-point from this category because I never finish anything. I have all of these good intentions and projects going but never finish any of them. So, I made May the month of finishing. And I can give myself that half point back again, because I did tie up some projects.
- Work puzzles and play word games, practice Spanish (Wordscapes, Word Classic, jigsaw puzzles, Brainscape/Duolingo) – Back on track with jigsaw puzzles and words games. Haven’t practiced Spanish in semanas (weeks).
- Weekly art date (do something creative or attend something artsy) – Haven’t really gone on any art dates. But did create a little center piece for my dining room table. Did finish my second coloring page, and did scrapbook several times.
- Read 3 books a month (in order to meet my Goodreads goal) – Here’s where the best progress has been made in this category. Finished reading Finding Your Balance and the workbook questions within the text. Finished Lost Roses by Martha Hall Kelly and need to share my review with you. Working with gusto on It’s Never too Late to Begin Again. My virtual book club just selected it’s latest book, The Mother-in-Law by Sally Hepworth, which a lot of the gals (show-offs, tee hee) finished in 2 days. I am listening to it on Audible. And our last book club title was The Gown: A Novel of the Royal Wedding by Jennifer Robson, of which I have read 80%. Would love to have you join our group! Holler if you are interested!
RELATIONSHIP HEALTH – 3.0 (HOLDING STEADY)
- Unplug at 9:00 pm – Some days. But not always. Although, when we take our bedtime walk, we have about 30 minutes where we chat and walk together. Might come back and get on the computer again, though, as we walk before it is completely dark, and still too early to go mimis.
- Date night 2x a month (bucket list activities) – We haven’t done anything spectacular, really. In fact, with this Weight Watchers business, we are eating out less which has impacted date nights. It will be time to think about my summer bucket list next week. Hope to think of some inexpensive, low-cal activities for the summer.
- Skype with Brennyn/Cady & Lauren/Lucia (read books to my babies) – Lucia was here for a few days so I was able to read to her in person. And I just Skyped with Cady, today. Making plans to go to Ft. Worth to see Brennyn and Cady next month.
MAINTAINING HEALTH – 4.0 (Up .5)
- Use sunscreen on my face daily (moisturizer with SPF) – Using a bottle of SPF 47 on my face, and spraying down with sunscreen before sitting outside for quiet time, or going on a morning walk.
- Floss – Why did I put this on here?
- Take vitamins and minerals daily (multi, vitamin B, C, D – LMNOP – flaxseed oil, biotin, magnesium, probiotics) – Added probiotics to the mix about a month ago. Seems to help keep me ‘going’.
FINANCIAL HEALTH – 4.5 (HOLDING)
- Save money for Christmas – Have begun!
- Pay off Amazon card – Done. Now to work on the Loft card.
- Have money in my checking account at the end of the month – Yes. Not a lot so can’t give you a loan, but yes.
All in all, I am patting myself on the back for Wellness Wednesday, 06.2019. Don’t want to get too cocky and then backslide but I think there could be a whole new me by this time in July.
How are you coming on your wellness goals this year? Have you had some spectacular success in one particular area? Won’t you link up your wellness related post or leave me a comment below so I can show you a little love?
Going to get started on some ironing I have been trying to tackle and listen to my book. Thank you for coming by today. Hope you will take a moment to cheer on some of the other gals linked up with us for Wellness Wednesday, 06.2019.
Hugs and kisses,