HaPpY hUmP dAy, ya’ll!
Welcome to Wellness Wednesday, 01.2018. This is the first edition in a monthly series created by my friend Natalie who blogs at Natalie the Explorer. With the beginning of a shiny new year most of us gals have a renewed commitment to eating more nutritiously and getting more exercise. But wellness isn’t limited to having a healthy body.
Dictionary.com defines wellness like this:
wellness [wel-nis] noun
- the quality or state of being healthy in body and mind, especially as the result of deliberate effort.
- an approach to healthcare that emphasizes preventing illness and prolonging life, as opposed to emphasizing treating diseases.
I like both definitions. The first one because it mentions wellness of the mind, and the intentional aspect of pursuing wellness. It’s a choice we make to work on being well. The idea of preventing illness and prolonging life through wellness appeals to me in the second definition. Especially with my 60th birthday looming on the horizon. Today’s interest in wellness is the modern day equivalent to the preventive benefits found in the spoon of the cod liver oil my dad had to take everyday as a boy. But a whole lot more enjoyable.
Wellness Goals 2018
You’ve probably heard Ben Franklin’s axiom “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure”. That Ben was ahead of his time! He was talking about wellness before wellness was even cool. Ha! Here are the preventive measures, the deliberate efforts I am resolving to try this year in order to achieve wellness and peace of mind, body and spirit.
- Exercise 4X a week (treadmill, biking, hiking, swimming)
- Lift weights 2X a week
- Walk at least 7,000 steps a day and 3 stories
- Be more mindful of Weight Watchers points
- Cook dinner 5X a week (Tasty Tuesday on the blog once a month)
- Drink half my weight in water
- Enjoy an adult beverage 1-2X a week
- Make Saturday my dessert/treat day
- Apply sunscreen to my face every single day
- Conduct breast self exams and skin exams more regularly
- Seek peace
- Read one adult and one children’s book a month (Title Talk on the blog once a month)
- Work puzzles
- Devotional time (Spiritual Sundays on the blog once a month)
- Gratitude journal before bed
- Miracle Morning
- Do something fun together once a week
- Spice up the love life
- Unplug by 9 pm
Have you made resolutions regarding your health and wellness? If so, won’t you please share with me in a comment below? Or if you are a blogger, link-up a related post for Wellness Wednesday, 01.2018. Then you are cordially invited to check out the posts of all of the gals linking up today. My friend Sue at Sizzling Toward Sixty has chosen THRIVE as her word of the year like I have chosen PEACE. Come back to see how we incorporate our words into our wellness goals.
Be sure to join us for our next Wellness Wednesday on February 7, 2018. We will be sharing our favorite cardio exercises or tips, and updating our progress on our goals. Grab your agenda and write down these dates for the whole series.
Thank you, dear ones, for your support as we begin this new year together. And thank you for cheering me on.
Hugs and kisses,