Shutterbugs and photography-lovin’ friends, welcome to The World Through My Lens, 09.2020 & Final SPSH. I am sharing my photos for this month’s prompts for the Sunday Stills photography challenge. In my posts for both June, July and August, I also featured my first photographs for Patio Postcards’s 2020 Summer Photo Scavenger Hunt (#SPSH). This month, I am sharing my final finds for the scavenger hunt list. Thankful to my friend Deb at Deb’s World for inviting me to join the scavenger hunt fun.
THE WORLD THROUGH MY LENS WEEK 36
SUNDAY STILLS, 09.06.2020: Orange
La Equis (The X) is a bright orangey-red sculpture, the vision of Mexican sculptor Enrique Carbajal González, in Juarez, Mexico. “The giant “X” symbolizes the blood spilled from the brutal Juarez drug wars.” [source] Standing nearly 200 feet tall, it is an easily visible reminder to people in both countries of the bloodshed over drug trafficking and drug territory. But La Equis also represents another era of Mexican history, “the merging of two cultures in Mexico: the indigenous Aztecs and the Spanish.” [source]
I snapped these photos last weekend from the park where PC’s baseball game was played. Border Highway runs along the El Paso-Juarez, Mexico border, the park is on the north side of the highway and Juarez is on the south side of the highway. It is so close that it almost seems one could reach out and touch the monument from the outfield.
The photo below was taken on a recent desert run out to my favorite new destination, an old water tank on Bowen Ranch. The tank is no longer in use for its intended purpose but now serves as a big metal target for target practice. The color and the texture of the bullet holes peppering the rusted metal remind me of the universe, of planets and moons and stars. Looking into the water tank through one of the bullet holes, I felt like I was glimpsing at a far-off galaxy.
THE WORLD THROUGH MY LENS WEEK 37
SUNDAY STILLS, 09.13.2020: Inside
I used the water tank for pictures for this prompt as well. Capturing shots from the inside.
This photo could almost have been shot of a space craft with the smaller circle being a window looking out into space. Do you see it, too? Or maybe I’ve been watching too much “Away” on Netflix?
I think the blurriness of this next photo adds to its interest. It’s another view into the water tank with the little orbs of light on the far side streaming through the bullet holes.
THE WORLD THROUGH MY LENS WEEK 38
SUNDAY STILLS, 09.20.2020: Towering
This majestic pine was towering over a section of the ball park where PC played baseball last weekend.
This water reservoir towers above everything around it. I like the way the chain link in the fence framed it.
THE WORLD THROUGH MY LENS WEEK 39
SUNDAY STILLS, 09.27.2020: Water Droplets
Going to be honest here, friends. I scrambled to snap this prompt. Condensation and water droplets on our new smoothie blender. We have a smoothie every morning then I rinse the blender canister and set it to dry.
2020 SUMMER PHOTO SCAVENGER HUNT (#SPSH)
I’ve also been participating in the virus edition of the 2020 Summer Photo Scavenger Hunt (#SPSH) – hosted by Patio Postcards. She describes the scavenger hunt like this: “There’s some searches for at home, close to home or away from home. I hope some encourage you to think outside of the box & some that may require an open eye to find. One rule … use photos you have taken between June 1st & September 30th of 2020, other than that, it’s meant for fun. Find some or find all, I hope everyone has fun with it.”
Sure was fun for me.
ITEMS TO FIND
The bold-faced items are the ones I was lacking going into September.
- A favorite piece of jewelry
- Something with or in a knot ✔️
- Something with the colors of your country’s flag ✔️
- A toy you play with ✔️
- Something you have more than one of ✔️
- An object in the shape of a triangle
- Something that displays a rule(s) ✔️
- A leaf longer than your hand ✔️
- Something that starts with the initial of your name (first or last) ✔️
- An object smaller than a paper clip ✔️
- Something you need to throw away – subbing in Alt C. for this one
- Something that holds your favorite beverage
- A rubber band/elastic in use ✔️
- An object with wheels ✔️
- Something inherited
- Rough texture ✔️
- Something naturally round ✔️
- An object that can go in the water ✔️
- A stone/rock/pebble with some color in it ✔️
- Something with the number 7 in it ✔️
Alt A. An animal statue
Alt B. An item heavier than your shoe
Alt C. Something with four sides ✔️
My Finds 09.2020
- #1, a favorite piece of jewelry: my engagement and wedding rings, and a tiger eye ring, all gifts from my Prince
- #2, something with or in a knot: on a recent $hopping trip to Target, Lauren and I discovered these knotted fabric headbands in a number of autumn shades. This blush color keeps popping up everywhere – in cardigans, bags, pants, scarves.
- #6, an object in the shape of a triangle: our sun sail is triangular in shape.
- #11, something you need to throw away: subbed in Alt C. for this one
- #12, something that holds your favorite beverage: don’t really have a favorite beverage. Maybe water? In which case, the pool holds about 13,000 gallons. But notice the product placement in this photo. Those little lime-a-ritas are pretty tasty.
- #15, something inherited: not sure these are actually ‘inherited’ pieces but they were given to me by my mother. Probably more hand-me-down than inherited. The bronze booties on the bookend were worn by my mom as a baby.
The tiny black boots were used in displays at the shoe store where my grandfather worked for years.
But before you go, girls, grab your calendars, agendas and pencil in this date…11.30.2020. Know why? Because my friends Deb at Deb’s World and Jennifer at Trading Ashes for Beauty and I are hosting an autumn photo challenge, 25 Days of Gratitude.
Here are the deets:
- try to find photos for as many of the prompts as you can
- photos must be taken during October and November to be included in the challenge
- our posts will go live on November 30, Monday
- all participants are invited to link-up with us
Feel free to grab our graphic and here are the prompts.
25 days of Gratitude Prompts
One last thing, here are the prompts for October’s Sunday Stills:
10.11 Fall Color Challenge: Ochre
10.18 Your Happy Place
10.25 Backyard Birding
Whew, have just finished watched the Presidential debate. I know the word President isn’t capitalized but I don’t understand why not! Anyway, the debate left me need a lime-a-rita!! How ’bout you?
Hugs and kisses,