Joining my sweet friend Rebecca Jo at Knit By God’s Hand for Thankful Thursday, 04.2019. Even though it’s almost the weekend, this has felt like a long week. Not sure why it’s felt that way but it has. Glad to have PC home and to have three days stretching before us for some fun and some relaxation. So, I guess that would be my first grateful…grateful for the weekend.
Want to also write a quick update on my progress to find and enjoy some moments of peace. You might remember that peace is my word of the year. I have written about it here and here. March came and went without an update but not without progress. So want to brag a bit.
But first things first.
I continue to keep my gratitude journal, filling it in with 3-4 thankfuls every night before bed. Makes writing these Thankful Thursday posts a breeze. Was particularly faithful to the practice in March and off to a pretty good start this month. Here are just some of the many things I am thankful for.
Thankful Thursday, 04.2019
- Our lawnmower started on it’s inaugural run for the season. With the help of the neighbor. Sadly, we have lived in our home for 11 years, but really only know our next door neighbor to the east. Part of that is because our area is so transient with lots of military families renting, moving in and out. Our neighbor directly across the street saw us struggling to get the mower started and brought over a can of air to blow out the engine. It did the trick. Our yard looks darn good for early spring.
- Free car wash. On a day when it felt like about everything else was going wrong…a day where I had no other entry in my gratitude journal. I went to the car wash and inserted my card to pay and repeatedly got an error message. Tried a different card. No luck. Tried a different car wash bay and no luck. Tried a different card on the second bay. No luck. The attendant tried my card. No luck. He tried my second card. You guessed it…no luck. He gave me a free car wash.
- Allowing myself ‘grace’ on not having my house perfectly in order for Lauren and Lucia’s visit. This is huge for me. My OCD meds are kicked in, baby. Our house is never a mess. But when the girls got here, it wasn’t as clean as I like. And yet, I was okay with that.
- Fun at the park. With PC and Lucia.
- My brother, Kevin. For all he does for our mom, for all of the little fires he puts out on a daily basis.
- My sister, Valerie. Thankful that she was able to take off work to stay with my mom for a week.
- Our roof stayed on. We’ve had about 7 days spread out over the last 6 weeks where the wind has just howled. And the roof that PC had to patch in February has stayed on through all the latest windstorms.
- Whirlwind weekend in Washington with my Prince. Quick but fun.
- Reunited with Gloria and Yeny. More to come.
- My mom celebrated her 92nd birthday. Albeit in the hospital. But her friends visited and they had cake. Bundtinis. And the bundtini lady even delivered them for free.
- Beautiful spring weather, many mornings. Sunshine streaming in my loft window.
- Doughnut purred peacefully to the end. Such a sweet, loving kitty for 17 years.
- PC had his first ablation on the nerves in his back today. We waited for 3 hours for them to take him back for the 15 minute procedure. When she came for him, the nurse explained that the patient before had experienced some difficulties and couldn’t wake up after her procedure. Not exactly what we wanted to hear! I guess she finally came to, thank goodness, but talk about scary! My Prince seems to be pain-free tonight for the first time in a very long while. Thank You, God!
- Lunches with friends.
- Clean carpets.
- PC’s baseball team has 2 wins!
My Word of the Year, Peace
Have written 2 posts about my word of the year: peace. In both the January and February posts, I was struggling to figure out a way to bring more peace into my life. Toward the end of March and now into April, I’ve taken a new approach. Instead of waiting for peace to find me, I am seeking peace for myself.
These are a few of the ways I found peace.
- Blowing bubbles with Cia. One of us had a little trouble blowing bubbles so became the designated bubble popper.
- Working on my Paint by Sticker book. Carrie, did you tell me about these books? I am thinking you gave one to Aut.
- Listening to my latest book on Audible. During walks or while doing things around the house. A spicy, delicious, intelligent read.
- Coloring in my Mexican Folk Art coloring book. Using colored pencils and taking my time to do each page just right.
- Beginning my days with quiet time. With my kitties, my coffee in my loft.
- Walking. I try to get a morning walk in after quiet time and before I jump into my day. Lately, PC and I have also been walking a mile or more right before bed. It is a great way to unwind, talk, set aside the cares of the day and just be.
Finally, I think I am understanding that peace isn’t a way of life. At least it isn’t for me. While I can’t experience peace on a full-time basis, I can balance the chaos of LIFE with moments where I intentionally seek and find peace. And then sometimes, I get these crazy surprise moments of peace that are especially welcome.
What are your gratefuls? And in what ways do you enjoy moments of peace in your life? I am always looking for new ways to incorporate peace into my day. Maybe you can teach this old dog a new trick or two.
Have lots of things I want to do before we launch the weekend. Ironing, house cleaning, packing for my trip, some gardening, hoping to find time for a mani and pedi, thanks to my birthday check from my sweet mama. Had penciled in plans to go to the International Art Museum but will have to see how my days go. What do you have going on as we close out the week and look forward to the holiday weekend?
Thank you for spending a few moments of your day, here with me. If it weren’t for YOU coming by, I’d be sitting here talking to myself!!
Hugs and kisses,