Dearest readers and eaters,
Can you hear my tummy rumbling from where you are reading this? I thought so. Just thinking about this lemon garlic chicken is making me very hungry. And it’s not even close to lunch time. AND I am trying so hard to get back on track with Weight Watchers. Happily, today’s “Tasty Tuesday” dish is very figure and budget friendly. Even easy to prepare. Mix up and toss in the direction of your crock pot. Dinner will be ready in just a few hours.
So, grab your apron and meet me in the kitchen. Your answer to ‘what’s for dinner?’ awaits.
Let’s Get Cooking: Lemon Garlic Chicken
Like last month’s Monte Cristo sandwich, the ingredients for lemon garlic chicken are things I usually have on hand. Perfect for busy days when I don’t feel like having to concentrate too hard on dinner. Pair this with that five letter P-word. But nowadays, there are so many healthy options, that pasta can be welcomed back into the regular dinner rotation. We used this gluten-friendly corn and rice alternative.
Let’s get this party started.
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (used Italian seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (who measures?)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (ditto)
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (used little chicken tenders)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules (used a bouillon cube)
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley (dried parsley for the win)
Judging from the number of amendments made to this recipe in parenthesis, I kind of made this dish my own. And I am just discovering the ease of using a crock pot liner. Yeah, not always the sharpest knife in the drawer, tool in the shed, etc., etc. So, just wanted to mention them for those of you like me. In fact, I am out of liners (my first box) and need to remember to buy more this week at the commissary. Which reminds me, I also need to print more copies of my master grocery list. You can find it here.
- In a bowl, mix the oregano (Italian seasoning), salt, and pepper.
- Rub the mixture into chicken.
- Melt the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Brown chicken in butter for 3 to 5 minutes on each side (oy vey, I am so hungry looking at these pics).
- Place chicken in a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, and without wiping it down, brown garlic.
- Mix the water, lemon juice, garlic, and bouillon and pour into skillet.
- Bring the mixture to boil.
- Pour over the chicken in the slow cooker
- Cover, and cook on high for 3 hours, or low for 6 hours.
- Add the parsley to the slow cooker 15 to 30 minutes before the end of the cook time.
I may or may not have made it slightly less Weight Watcher friendly by sprinkling the chicken with Parmesan cheese after dishing it over the pasta. Really hate that I kind of slopped it on my plate. Not a particularly palatable photo. Sorry! Tastes better than this photo looks, I promise!
Writing this post has almost convinced me to make lemon garlic chicken tonight instead of left overs. So easy and quick but PC will be more impressed than he would be sitting down to last night’s taco soup. Let me get my behind in gear!
How often do you inflict leftovers on the crew at your house? I used to really hate leftovers. And then I got old and lazy. Now they are my best friend, along with crock pot liners.
Hope you will give this recipe a try. It is very flavorful and still good for you! I’ve guilted myself into cooking tonight. What are you having for supper?
Thanks, dolls, for joining me today. Like they say on some of the airlines, I know you have a choice in blogs to follow (they say airlines to fly)…thank you for choosing to fly with me!
P.S. It is now 6:24 pm on 04.17. I did fix this recipe again for dinner. According to PC I was a little overly-enthusiastic with the lemon juice this time. That’s what happens when I don’t measure. But I did manage to get a more appetizing photo of our plate. Here you go!
Better, huh? Now to remember to measure the lemon juice next time.
Hugs and kisses,