Fashionistas and clothes-wearing friends, thank you for stopping by to check out this Style Imitating Art 01.2021 post and look. We had a bit of snow on Monday night and into yesterday morning, so I had to shovel my way into my fashion haus. But the outfit I am sharing is toasty warm so all is good.
Style Imitating Art 01.2021
Joining Daenel, Salazar and the newest host, Terri, for this round of SIA. Salazar curated the art this time, choosing the Nebra Sky Disc for our consideration. According to Archaeology.org, this bronze disc dates back to 1800 BC and was found buried in Nebra, Germany. Before being buried as a possible offering to the gods in 1600 BC, the sky disc was altered and adapted 4 different times to reflect the astronomy of the night sky.
I can appreciate how this piece has evolved over the years. The mosaic I began in 2014 after retiring in 12.2013 has undergone similar stages of development and evolution. Until the last year when work on it has been stagnant!! One of my winter bucket list activities is to get back at it again. Need to get on that before my next update on 02.21.2021.
Here’s what I put together for this week’s Style Imitating Art.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Do you have a window in your closet? We don’t and the older I get, the more I w̶a̶n̶t̶ need one. I cannot tell the colors or shades of any of my hanging clothes!! And it is getting worse with every birthday. I planned to put together a certain outfit for my interpretation for the Nebra Sky Disc and pulled the pieces out of the closet the night before. The next morning, in the light of day, I realized the colors were all wrong. Back to the drawing board. Or the closet. Armed this time with a miner’s hat and a flash light.
Fair Isle Cardigan
Second time ’round, I selected a L.L.Bean chunky knit cardigan in a Fair Isle print for my starting point. I think the snowflakes and nubby little bits of white in the yarn look like the stars in the disc. But looking at the flat lay, I realize the color best suited to the art is in a little band of blue-green in the pattern and not the main color of the cardi at all.
The necklace was a gift from my sister. The colors work well with the outfit. But it was the round blue beads that caused me to select this piece. They kind of look like little ‘earths’ or planets. What do you think?
You probably remember how I struggle to think outside the box when it comes to fashion. Oh, how I hesitated to put this Kohl’s Apt.9 green turtleneck with this blue sweater. The shade of the turtleneck doesn’t appear in the sweater at all. And anything that isn’t matchy-matchy is outside my comfort zone. Although all of you pull it off so well!! The tones seemed similar, though, so I threw caution to the wind.
Then came time to find pants to wear with this cardigan. In lieu of the gold pants lacking in my closet, I reached for my khaki colored denim. But they were hanging next to these Old Navy tobacco cords. Again, not the same matchy-matchy color in the sweater but complimentary.
I think at this point I had completely lost sight of the curated piece!! Ha!! Oh, well. Thank goodness, my Payless Fioni booties were pretty close to the same color as my pants as I was already feeling on edge with the rest of my color choices.
The Try On
I guess it all came together pretty well. Not sure how well it represents the art. But I like it!!
Have hung these pieces together to wear this weekend. And so I remember that they do work together, no matter how they look in the dark depths of my closet.
As I am putting this post together, it is Wednesday, which means it is time for another installation of hodgepodge with my new friend Joyce. My last fashion haus/SIA post coincided with the second hodgepodge link up in which I participated, here. Looks like this might be a thing…SIA and hodgepodge!
Here are this week’s questions in bold and my answers beside them. Why don’t you copy down the questions and play along, too?
- Have you done more binge watching this past year than in ‘normal’ years? Any plans to break that habit in 2021? Tell us one or two shows you binged last year that you really liked. I really don’t watch TV that much. It is almost always on but more like white noise for me. Early in 2020, we did watch “Anne with an E” about as fast as we could. But that’s about the sum total of our bingeing.
- January 26th is Australia Day. Have you ever visited or lived in Australia? Have you ever tasted Vegemite, and if so what did you think? Is a trip down under on your bucket list? We answered a question about travel three months ago (the October 21st Hodgepodge), but let’s revisit now…where are you when it comes to planning or even imagining travel this year? My sister lived in Australia for about 2 years and I had hoped to visit while she was there. But it didn’t happen. Yes, Australia is on our travel bucket list. After Great Britain and Italy. Oh, and a trip to the beach anywhere. Hey, maybe an Australian beach?? Afraid our travel plans for this year are probably limited to hopefully visiting our moms and my daughter Brennyn.
- Something that zaps your energy? Something that energizes you? Worries about my mom zap my energy. About once a week, something will come up that we have to jump through hoops to handle long distance. Worrying about Mom and trying to take care of those issues exhausts me. Getting up early for quiet time energizes me. I love getting a jump on the day. Having a clean house and working out both set little fires under me.
- On a scale of 1-10 what are your eating habits like these days? (1=all junk food all the time and 10= juicing every green thing in the frig) Healthiest meal you’ve eaten in the last week or so? We are probably eating at about a 6. Not eating particularly healthy but eating most meals at home. We start our days M-F with a smoothie made of fruit and veggies. That’s healthy, right? Hmmm, the healthiest meal we have had in the last week? A toss up between skinny chicken salad and pulled pork chili.
- What’s your most often ‘Back in my day….’ thing to say? At least once a week I say “Nobody does their job any more.” Insinuating that back in the day people did do their jobs.
- Insert your own random thought here. My online reading club “Come Read with Me” will be voting on our February book this weekend. If you are looking for a low-pressure/no-pressure reading club, come check us out on Facebook, here.
What are you wearing this week? Have you ventured out in anything other than activewear? Speaking of which…I ordered this tie-dye sweat suit set before Christmas. Just put it on for the first time yesterday. I may never wear anything else again!! The fabric is so soft. Like baby bunny soft. And the fit is generous and comfortable.
I ordered the pink but think I probably need the blue, too.
hApPy hUmP dAy, friends. Off to Wally world to pick up a few things before my Prince returns home to find me sitting where he last saw me at 7:00 am this morning!! And I wonder why my behind seems bigger!!
Hugs and kisses,