Hello friends, welcome to Sentence a Day 08.2021 – my monthly review of life in one run-on sentence a day. August was a month with all the feels – vacation highs followed by breaking news lows. So far, September has been a little more even keeled. Hope it/I stays/stay that way.
As always, want to give a big thanks to Rebecca Jo at Knit by God’s Hand for hosting this series. Please run by to check out her post and the posts of some of the others linking up with us below.
Now let’s get down to brass tacks, as my mother would say…
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Sentence a Day 08.2021
- Had to pack up my Buffy, Lucia and Cami at the beach to head back home, thankful my sister Valerie was able to go with them to catch her flight home at the same time; spent the rest of the day at the beach, while Cady, Paul and I were boogie boarding, she was stung by something…a jellyfish?…that grazed her leg in several places; terrible slash-looking marks and terribly painful but she was a trooper; after hydro-cortisone, Tylenol and a nap, Cady was back in the ocean riding her board and collecting shells with me; walk on the beach before having assorted leftovers for dinner, tucked Cady into bed. 08.01.2021
- Cia’s first day of kindergarten. Leisurely start to the day with coffee on the balcony, I fixed breakfast for Bren, Cady, Mustafa, Paul and I, onto the beach before noon, Cady’s leg looks much better, thank goodness; PC hung at the pool while we were on the beach, the water was clear, cool and refreshing; early dinner in hopes of going dolphin watching at sunset but dinner went too late, farewell walk on the beach with Cady; sad to say goodbye to Bren, Mustafa and my Cadence, I hate being so far away from them; Cia had a great day at school; time to get back to real life. 08.02.2021
- Enjoyed awaking leisurely again today, coffee on the balcony one last time, then finished packing before checking out of our condo, spotted many playful dolphins on our dolphin-sighting excursion, loved being on the boat; lunch at Longhorn Steak House in Harlingen before boarding the first of 2 flights home; many individual immigrant children and families in the airports; home and tucked into bed shortly after 10:00 pm. 08.03.2021
Home Sweet Home
- Washed too many loads of laundry to count…lots of sand in the pockets and creases of everything, unpacked the suitcases, made a lasagna, paid bills, cleaned litter boxes, took a walk and a neighbor gave me a Korean melon…ever heard of those? 08.04.2021
- Never ever have headaches but have had one all day today – might be time to have my eyes checked again; did blog stuff this morning, submitted a claim against the insurance company that insured our pool builder after learning that because the pool never passed inspection in 2017!!! we can put a claim against their insurance to repair the problems; accepted the librarian sub job at Whitaker school for $164 a day…can rebuild my Christmas Club account; made a grocery list and went shopping, picked up Brown Bag deli for dinner on my way home, Covid at Lucia’s school already this first week back; Mom rode the bike for 20 minutes and went for a (wheelchair) walk outside…yay!! 08.05.2021
- Sleeping so well these days…I think the beach really helped on the sleeping front; got PC off to work, took a nice walk then did some blogging before sweeping and mopping the downstairs, cleaning the kitchen and starting a pork tender loin in the crock pot for supper; made a small dent in my ironing, blog reading tonight…can’t ever seem to catch up. 08.06.2021
- PC and I seem to be at odds with each other lately, went to bed grumpy with him after he made a snide remark, woke up and we continued bouncing barbs off one another; didn’t really want to go to the ball game, all things considered and the forecast of 100* heat but wound up going, and it was hot, Yankees collected their second loss of the season, too; lunch afterward at Dominguez, home for a nap, Reds baseball all evening then “Cinderella Man” movie; I did a lot of blog reading with one eye on the TV, fed and walked our neighbors’ dog Flare, nice to be around a pup again, brought Fluff into the house to cool off. 08.07.2021
- Busy on this day of rest, fed Flare and took her for a quick walk, over the mountain to church, outlet mall afterward, Lowe’s, Village Inn for brunch, then spent a few hours working in the yard – mowing, weed eating, spraying for weeds; over the mountain again for dinner with the kids, have missed my baby (Lauren) and her babies so much; took a quick after dinner walk, home and rain is falling in time to climb into bed. 08.08.2021
To Sub or Not To Sub
- While waiting to hear if I am subbing or not, I enjoyed a day at home, back to my morning devotional, a walk in the desert where I walked or ran most of last Covid summer, reading, laundry, ironing, made a steak and some salmon on the grill for dinner, and corn on the cob. 08.09.2021
- Another day mostly home and even less industrious than yesterday; spent most of the morning getting the paperwork together for our insurance claim against our pool, and the bond, too; Target run, then went with Lauren to see where to pick up Lucia from school should the need arise, played with her for a bit, then home and PC cooked – picked up Taco Bell, blog reading tonight, ran 1.1 miles. 08.10.2021
Rainy Days and Rainbows
- Over the mountain this morning to see where Lucia goes in the mornings at school, Walmart run, tried on a few cute dresses but hung everything back on the rack, walked around the neighborhood while talking to Kevin, my brother; cleaned the pool, vacuumed the downstairs, picked up the kitchen, ironed, worked a little on my 3rd altered house, made a crack creamy chicken soup for dinner, ran on the treadmill 1.3 miles, gorgeous double rainbow right over our house after a heavy thunderstorm. 08.11.2021
- I liked today. Started with a long walk along the foot of the mountains with my friend Martha, then got a bee in my bonnet and cleaned the whole house…who am I?; it smelled and looked so nice; Brennyn and Mustafa got to see our boy, Cady started 6th grade, read for about 5 minutes, put a new message on my message board, leftover soup for supper, watched “Nomadland” on Hulu while working on a blog post, glad for this 3 day weekend, another terrific rain tonight with flood warnings through the weekend. 08.12.2021
- Friday the 13th…nary a bad thing happened – our cars even passed state inspection the first time ’round!!; went on a walk while they were being inspected, then home for a bit where I laid on the couch and read – so unlike me; off to see “Stillwater” at the theater; home to make a Target meal kit of pasta and sausage, which was quite good with a mixed green salad; Reds baseball and lots of blog reading before bed. And more rain!! 08.13.2021
- Are you sick of hearing about our rain yet? So much rain that PC’s ball game was canceled, did a strength training work out, took a walk, scrapbooked with my sister working on ballet recital photos of Cady, dinner at Chipotle, Reds game at night. 08.14.2021
- Happy birthday, Francisco. So glad you were born. Popped out of bed twice in the night to discover it was raining; up for church – great message; lunch at Taco Tote, back to tracking WW points, walked the outlet mall, bought these tight skinny jeans at Lucky Brand, uniform tops for Cady; walked the reservoir, leftovers for supper, blogging after dinner. 08.15.2021
Writing from the Heart
- Finally finished the tough blog post I have been trying to write for months, up for devotional, quick ab workout, walk, got laundry done, clean sheets on the bed, registration paperwork for our cars, fixed a stir-fry kit from Walmart, listened to my book over the mountain to pick up Cia then Cami from school; Cia was eager to tell me she has a boyfriend, “Santi”, and girlfriend has good taste, he is cute; stopped to get PC an egg roll at Panda Express to go with dinner, seventh inning (Reds game) stretch sit-ups and leg lifts, mile run on the treadmill and walk around the park before bed. 08.16.2021
- Didn’t sleep well, then couldn’t wake up; got PC off to work, did some blogging, laundry, ironing, took a walk and talked to Mom and listened to my book; made a chicken salad, watched all the news on Afghanistan, mask mandate back in effect as of tomorrow morning for indoor spaces; picked up Lucia and Cami and helped Buff get them ready for dinner, back over the mountain home, not feeling good tonight…sore throat and headache, watched the Reds game, did our sit-ups and a walking workout. 08.17.2021
- Sad, sad, sad…Afghanistan, the Covid situation, immigration on our southern border. 08.18.2021
Gettin’ Jiggy With It
- Blogging and blog reading this morning, finished reading 2 books, worked on a scrapbook page of Cady’s ballet recital, made a Walmart grocery list for pick up tomorrow, took a nap, twiddled my thumbs, homemade pizza using Mama Mary’s pizza crusts for dinner, Reds ball on TV, sit-ups and a 1.2 mile run, bedtime walk…tomorrow, I get up and set the world afire!!. 08.19.2021
- Full body dumbbell workout first thing this morning, scrambled to get the downstairs picked up, dusted, vacuumed and mopped and my walk in before PC got home at noon; so sad about the situation in Afghanistan, we had a Swedish massage – poor girl had her work cut out for her trying to break down my knots, then Red Lobster soup and appetizers for late lunch, home to watch the Reds, then “The Morning Show.” 08.20.2021
- Slept so well, dreamed about stuffed peppers and enchiladas, walked around the lake before the ball game began, Yankees struggled with half the team missing, lunch after the game, hour long nap before the Reds game began this evening, walk around the park before bed. 08.21.2021
- Awakened by the neighbor’s dog barking about 7:15, got up and ready for church, Transmountain Road was closed again after rain in the night, good message about God being our savior, deliverer and redeemer; walked the outlet mall, Taco Tote for lunch, this delicious ice cream treat for dessert, watched “The Morning Show,” talked to Mom – she seems pretty hopeless, and resigned to sleeping her days away and at 94, can we blame her? 08.22.2021
- Up early for quiet time, strength training, organized my agenda, did laundry, cleaned pool, swam laps, watched the disastrous situation in Afghanistan while working on my scrapbook page, patty melts and jalapeño poppers, bedtime walk. 08.23.2021
- Took a long walk and talked to Mom, ran to Walmart for a few groceries, returned library books, picked up my babies from school, their hair looked so pretty – I have missed them so, good hugs from Lauren, HelloFresh turkey chili, recipe here. 08.24.2021
Itchy Eyes and Sneezles
- Everyone’s weeds are out of control, eyes burning so badly from allergies that I don’t want to get up in the a.m. but I did!! Quiet time, journaled, walked, put summer decor away – after purging it fit in a small box! – set out fall, swam, weights, 1 mile on treadmill, did a page in 365 Days of Creativity, Taco Bell for dinner, catnapped on the couch, bedtime walk. 08.25.2021
- Happy birthday, Grandma Rosebrough. What a difficult day…2 explosions at the Afghan airport killing 13 service members and wounding many, many; learned my childhood friend Nancy is fighting for her life with Covid and double pneumonia, a ball player on PC’s team learned he has a tumor on his spine, a resident at Mom’s apartment complex has Covid, 11 nurses in labor and delivery have quit at Brennyn’s hospital and she will now have to help in that unit with the Covid-sick mothers, Paul’s battery died so after he got a jump we met at Walmart to get a new battery, left the car and had Whataburger then picked it up, just exhausted tonight, got my cabinets and frig, freezers all clean. 08.26.2021
- PC’s Friday off, I fixed a big healthy breakfast, we did a 30 minute strength training workout, Paul visited his friend George who has been fighting cancer, I worked on some scrapbooking, went to see the movie “Jungle Cruise” and had popcorn for supper, bought Halloween decorations for Lucia and Cami’s playhouse, started a new series “Mr. Corman” on Apple+ TV. 08.27.2021
Happy Days are Here Again
- Such a great day!! Slept well and the pain I have been having in my neck is feeling better; breakfast then PC headed to his ball game and I headed over the mountain to decorate the playhouse with Lauren and the babies – so much fun!!; great snuggles from my babies and my Buffy, Cami cried and clung to me when I left, Cady called and I got to snuggle her long distance, talked to Mom on my way home, scrapbooked and visited with Valerie, finished my ballet 2-page spread, PC’s team won but the other team started a fight and the game was called by the ump; soup for supper, ran for 30 minutes, 2.25 miles, walk before bedtime, Nancy is doing better…PTL. 08.28.2021
- Another nice weekend day: church, walk around the outlet mall, Taco Tote for lunch, yard work in the afternoon which really irritated my eyes – allergies, I guess; swam, called Mom who was desperately lonely today, fish sticks and shrimp for dinner, fantasy foot ball draft, bedtime walk. 08.29.2021
- What a long month!! Busy day, had trouble getting up (thank you, Benadryl), got PC off to work, did my quiet time, journaling, took a walk while talking to Mom, ran for a haircut, to the post office, had my eyebrows threaded, cleaned the garage to make room for PC’s upside-down machine that is currently in his office – he’ll use it better if it is with the other gym stuff – used Murphy soap on the cabinets, then oiled them, finished laundry, cleaned washer and dishwasher, made shepherd’s pie for dinner…I am tired!! 08.30.2021
- Yay…up early for prayer, quiet time, strength training and a walk, appointment with my spine doctor about the pain in my neck and my sciatica, received a call that the library sub job has been approved by the school district…but do I want to work now??; grocery shopping at the commissary, yard guys were here when I got home trimming bushes, trees and edging, easy supper, ran 1.2 miles on treadmill, bedtime walk. 08.31.2021
And to wrap things up with a bow, here’s my month in 1 second a day.
What highlights would make up your Sentence a Day 08.2021? Are kids wearing masks at school where you live? Are you back to masks in public like we are? Will you be getting a booster vaccine? Catch me up with life in your corner of the world. And if you have a month-in-review or SaD post, please link-up with us!! Then show some of the other gals some love by stopping to say hi!
Have lots of posts in the works. Hope I can get some time this week to get them all together. Need to share some of the books I’ve enjoyed lately, owe you a World Through My Lens post, 10 on the 10th is coming up and it is almost time for another installment of Where Bloggers Live. Hope you will join me for any or all of those.
Anyone else confused about what day it is? Felt like a Monday all day. And Monday felt like Sunday. But so did Sunday. Anyway, it’s Tuesday and tomorrow is Wednesday. The only way I know is because it’s trash day. Whatever the day when you’re reading this, I am grateful you popped by!!
Hugs and kisses,