Time for my Sentence a Day, 08.2019. So glad to see summer come to a close. Although, the first day of fall isn’t for 3 weeks, I am ready!!! We are finally back to down to double digit temps so I am feeling hopeful that fall is just around the corner. Ready for my first pumpkin spice of the season. Have you had yours?
I politely finished up July’s sentences without giving a thought to starting to write sentences for this month. Behind the eight ball right off the bat. But with the horrific shooting here in El Paso on the third day of the month, it was been hard to think of anything else. A month later, El Paso, a big city with a small town feel, has begun to pick up the pieces and bounce back. #ElPasoStrong #ElPaSOSTRONG
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click a link provided we may receive a very small commission. Thank you for your support!
Sentence a Day, 08.2019
Here’s my August, one run-on sentence a day.
- At the doctor before 8:00 for an appointment about my leg pain, he thinks maybe it is piriformis syndrome, whatever that is, will be getting physical therapy; met Lauren for her first OB appointment in El Paso, waited 2.5 hours to be seen but baby’s heartbeat is strong, home for pizza and to catch up on “The Bachelorette.” 08.01.2019
- My Prince will now be working from home 3 days a week since there is nowhere for him to be where his office once was, but he has no work to do here at home, will have to report to Ft. Bliss on Wednesdays and Thursdays, going to be a strain; flew across the mountain to help with Lucia then took her to school, back across the mountain for gym, grocery shopping with PC, enchiladas for supper, swimming and “Live PD.” 08.02.2019
- Devastating day in El Paso after a shooter killed 20 people, wounded 26 in El Paso – was my dream the night before about a mass stabbing a premonition? At the last minute, decided to stay home from PC’s ball game, then he texted me a few minutes after he left that I needed to turn on the news…there was a mass shooting going on at the Cielo Vista mall, about 12 miles from our house; spent the rest of the day paralyzed and heart broken watching the events unfold on the TV. Read my post, here. #prayforElPaso #ElPasoStrong 08.03.2019
- Felt as if the collective hearts of El Paso stopped beating yesterday but today our pulse was back; Jared delivered a powerful, uplifting message at church, we did our usual outlet mall walk after breakfast at iHop, encouraged by the sermon to not give into fear, found a cute wedding dress for my niece Shelby’s wedding in a few weeks, PC bought some pants that fit his new svelte shape, good gym workout although I didn’t wanna, lazy evening after brats on the grill for dinner. 08.04.2019
- Numb. PC works from home 3 days a week starting today but he doesn’t have any work to do. 08.05.2019
- We are back on track with Weight Watchers and exercise but I am missing my morning quiet time a great deal, and when I get home, my Prince is here and it is hard to figure out my routine. 08.06.2019
- We are so numb and ‘out of it’ that we forgot today was trash day, good work out at the gym, late afternoon swim and then grilled a steak using a delicious new RUM marinade that we will definitely be trying again, was supposed to go to my first PT appointment but forgot…hate this fog bank that has moved into my brain. 08.07.2019
- Over the mountain to Lauren’s, we are trying some new tricks to keep Lucia in her seat and focused during meals, wish us luck; visited the memorial for the shooting victims at Walmart, so very sad; Lauren’s heart started bothering her so much that she went to the ER, PC and I picked up baby girl from daycare and took her to dinner, they ran tests on Lauren’s heart, blood work and gave her a referral to cardiology, then she joined us for dinner; will be so thankful when Cammie is born and we can relax a little again. 08.08.2019
- Never a dull moment…Cia sneezed out a piece of purple plastic from her nose this morning as I took her to daycare; I snapped a pic, sent it to Lauren who sent it to Francisco who sent it to his dad, an ENT and it was determined she needed to be seen to be sure more plastic wasn’t up there; thank goodness they couldn’t find any more but her nose is inflamed, now we have something new to watch for; movie and gym with PC, popcorn for dinner, quiet evening of TV. 08.09.2019
Struggling to Return to Normal
- Woke up to a wonderful rain at 3:00 and to find that my Prince and I were holding hands in our sleep, up for good at 8:00, off to the ball field by 9:00 where PC hit a home run and had some great plays in the field and the Yankees managed a win; lunch with the team, home to be lazy, leftovers for dinner and Dairy Queen for a bedtime snack, lots of blog reading tonight. 08.10.2019
- Slept so well, up for church and another good message about grieving, breakfast burrito at Sonic, walk around the outlet shops where I found a gray active wear tank, and 2 pairs of light weight sweat pants for fall hikes, gym and a run through the stores in the shopping center near home, rotisserie chick for supper, ironing before bed. 08.11.2019
- Managed to enjoy a few minutes quiet time on the patio before heading out for physical therapy for my leg, which I actually enjoyed and got some relief from, the therapist commented that I was in good shape, which was music to my ears; gym workout after lunch, went into the restroom there thinking that I never see former students any more and lo and behold, there was a favorite former student of mine standing at the lavatory – Natalie recognized me first, haven’t seen her in 7 years since she was in 5th grade, heartwarming to reconnect, cabbage soup for supper and “Bachelor in Paradise” for dessert. 08.12.2019
Back in the Swing
- Up early for quiet time again, dressed in a Style Imitating Art interpretation, then over the mountain to help with Lucia, ironing, gym workout, blog writing and reading, a good swim, more soup for supper, more “Bachelor” for dessert. 08.13.2019
- Thankful I was able to wake up and enjoy quiet time outside before heading out to help with Lucia, she and Lauren were both still asleep when I arrived; Cia figured out how to ride her tricycle this morning, parked it in her mama’s office before I took her to school, did much blog reading this afternoon, practiced making an Origami crane on copy paper before I make some for the memorial, fixed cheesy chicken broccoli and rice casserole for dinner, Cia and Lauren came to eat and swim, helped with Cia’s bath and homework(!) before they headed back over the mountain for home. 08.14.2019
- Happy birthday, Francisco. Cia-helping in the morning, bought Francisco all things movie theater – tickets, popcorn bucket, premiere status, lots of jumbo boxes of candy – for his b’day, visited the El Paso Strong mural. 08.15.2019
- Fun afternoon and evening with my Prince after helping with Cia in the a.m., which is also a good time; used a glaze to neutralize my highlights, movie, took our origami cranes to the memorial, had beer/wine and pretzels with a fabulous spicy queso dipping sauce, then listened to an ’80’s throw-back band, and ice cream after. 08.16.2019
- Ball game and it was almost unbearably hot, home to pack; felt sad all day – worried about PC’s job situation, somewhat dreading our trip just because it is such a whirlwind and so expensive, all of my clothes are so loose, which is nice, but makes it hard to find anything to pack that will look nice for the wedding. 08.17.2019
- Up at 3:45 am to catch our 6:00 am flight; fed the kitties and hated saying goodbye, burrito at the airport, 3 hour flight to Atlanta, short layover and 45 minute flight to Lexington; mom isn’t feeling good, had an episode of incontinence this morning, not up to Chinese buffet that we wanted to take her to, O’Charley’s seemed safer to her, met Kevin there, early night back at the hotel. Doesn’t mom wear 92 well? 08.18.2019
- Bittersweet day with my mom, enjoyed doing things for her around the apartment but hate that this visit is so short; packed up most of her warm weather clothes in bins under her bed, and exchanged them for fall and winter clothes; PC installed a light in her closet; ate lunch in the dining room and saw many of her friends but she seems lonely, not eating with the friends she once was and afraid to leave her apartment many days for fear of soiling herself; dinner with Kevin and LeeAnn at Jason’s Deli, quick workout in the fitness room at our hotel, blog writing tonight. 08.19.2019
- Breakfast at the hotel, then over to mom’s where we helped her with a few more projects before lunch with her and her best friend Claire, sad goodbye, rainy drive up to Ohio with a stop at the outlet mall where I found a darling denim skirt (similar, similar) at Christopher and Banks – a size 6!!! – had to have it ordered and shipped to EP, Wendy’s hamburger for dinner, visit with the Ohio Clingans, and PC’s son Matt, walk around the block looking for lightning bugs before bed. 08.20.2019
- Restless sleeping, quick breakfast at the hotel before heading to Cincinnati for a Reds’ baseball game, HOT as blue blazes but eventually the sun passed behind our seats at home plate and the Reds won, Panera for dinner, cherry pie for dessert, sat on the porch and listened to summer sounds from my childhood – cicadas and crickets. 08.21.2019
- Long but good day…breakfast buffet at hotel, walk around Troy with Greta, PC, his brother John and son Matt, found a darling wind chime that Greta helped me afford at a hospice store, scrumptious green chili egg puff for lunch (post to come), out to see PC’s great aunt – what a feisty 92 year-old, Wii bowling, pizza and ice cream and a bedtime walk. 08.22.2019
- A quick and tearful goodbye to the Ohio Clingans and Matt, 6 hour drive to Knoxville, checked into the Holiday Inn, changed for Shelby and Alex’s rehearsal dinner at Crescent Bend, delicious food and sweet times with family, wine and laughs in Kevin and LeeAnn’s room before bed. 08.23.2019
- Wedding day! Breakfast buffet, hour long hike with PC, Val and Roby at Sharp’s Ridge Memorial Park, scrapbook store stop, walk around the University of Tennessee, my alma mater, met Kevin, LeeAnn, Jake and Taylor for Stefano’s pizza (one of the reason’s for my sophomore 16), a few minutes at the pool, dressed for the wedding which was lovely at Hunter Valley Farms, dinner and dancing and merriment afterward. 08.24.2019
And Home Again
- On the road by 6 am to go back to Lexington for our flight home, stopped by to kiss mom and show her a few photos from the weekend, on our way home at 11:30 and in our house by 4:00 pm, kitties were so snuggly and happy to see us, hot dogs and tater tots for supper, catching up on “Bachelor in Paradise” tonight. 08.25.2019
- Slept so soundly in our own bed, ran over to get Cia ready for school, slipped into bed with her to wake her up, put her in a leopard dress -so cute, appointment with endocrinologist, physical therapist, then lazy at home catching up on phone calls, mom sounded good; Shelby and Alex are honeymooning in St. Lucia where a hurricane is forecast to hit tomorrow, sending up prayers. 08.26.2019
Back in the Swing of Things
- Helped with Lucia, then met with a very sweet counselor as part of our new health insurance, Hilary’s office was so welcoming, talked about life’s struggles, my floundering sense of purpose, washed kitchen cabinets and all wooden den furniture with Murphy’s soap, scrubbed upholstered dinette chairs, gym, lemon chicken for dinner. 08.27.2019
- Another PT appointment – so relaxing, so helpful in relieving the pain in my leg, sushi for lunch and a quick run by Uptown Cheapskate – loved a berry colored brocade dress for $7.99, gym, Lauren and Cia came over for a dip in the hot tub and Weight Watchers Doritos taco salad. 08.28.2019
- Dashed across the mountain to help with Cia only to find she was sick with a fever, bundled her up with all she needed to come home and spend the night with me so Lauren could work, quick Walmart run for pjs and a toothbrush, played with Play-Doh and Peppa the Pig, lunch, nap, McDonald’s for dinner and playtime, played a few minutes at the park before it began to rain, bath and trying to get one very reluctant 3 year-old to bed. 08.29.2019
- Crazy busy day – up with Cia before 7 am, breakfast and play time together, took her home, gym, intake appointment for new psychiatrist under our recently changed insurance so I can get my OCD meds refilled, got cars inspected, Mexican for dinner at Casita Linda’s, “Live PD.” 08.30.2019
- Another crazy busy day – 5 mile hike up Lost Dog Trail, quick run through the outlet mall for a new belt for PC (his old one is too big!), home to Skrype (scrapbook and Skype) with my sister, kids came over to swim, eat pizza and a homemade apple pie, Friends and Family Feud fantasy football draft, my virtual book club picked our next read – join us; watching news about 2 more shootings this weekend, one in Midland-Odessa, Texas. So. Sad. 08.31.2019
August was a whirlwind. Enjoyed being with family and celebrating the love between Shelby and Alex. But love being home. I am a huge fan of schedules and routine. Still struggling to figure that out with PC home more and my responsibilities and desire to help Lauren with Lucia. But I am home again, where I belong.
What were the highs and lows of your month? If you have a Sentence a Day, 08.2019 post, please link up with us below.
If you aren’t a blogger, won’t you tell me a little about your month in a comment below? Are you ready for fall or already missing summer?
Hoping to get back on schedule with writing and reading this week. Want to share photos taken for the photo challenges I am participating in. Also, have some recipes to share and need to open my fashion haus. So hope you will come back by when you have a few free moments. And as always, I am grateful that you took a few minutes to stop by today. Thank you for being my bud!!
Hugs and kisses,