Welcome, ladybugs, to Sentence a Day, 06.2020 – my crazy June in one run-on sentence a day. These posts such a great way to journal your day-to-day life. Especially during this historic, extraordinary time. If you haven’t joined us for this link-up, I would like to invite you to try participating. It’s not too late to start for 07.2020 or pencil it in your agenda to begin with us in August. And if you are interested, let me know in a comment below and I will add you to our email group.
Rebecca at Knit by God’s Hand came up with the idea for SaD and Sarah at Foxy’s Domestic Side always keeps us together by sharing the link-up code. Hope you will run by to check out their posts and the posts of some of the others linking up with us. Now, let’s see how I tried to keep from going stark-raving mad in June.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click or make a purchase from a link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Hard Month for Mom
This month was difficult for my mom. If you have an older mother or grandmother, you may be aware of the risks of UTIs among elderly women. My mom has had a number of UTIs in the past couple of years and they have very alarming side-effects to include hallucinations and delirium. Mom experienced both this month. In this article, AA Senior Care identifies a number of worrisome symptoms associated with UTIs in the elderly.
Altered Mental status is often the only symptom of UTI’s in the elderly. This change in mental status is frequently mistaken as early stages of dementia. Behaviors demonstrated may be increased confusion, agitation, hallucinations, increased aggression, falls, and poor motor skills and dizziness.
If the individual already has dementia, and manifests an acute change in mental status over a span of hours or days, suspect delirium, which is reversible, whereas dementia is not. The elderly typically do not experience symptoms of pain, frequency, low grade fever, or burning with a UTI. The only change is the “squirrely” behavior or altered change in mental status!
Mom experienced most, if not all of these, in June. Being so far away and unable to help leaves me so guilt-ridden. But with the Covid restrictions around senior care facilities, I couldn’t help Mom even if I were there in Kentucky.
Sentence a Day 06.2020
There were some sweet moments during the month, though. I am thankful for my Prince and my family to help me through the hard days. And to give me good days to share!
Off to a Good Start
- Started the new month off on the right foot waking early for quiet time, then a workout and bike ride before heading over the mountain to help with my babies; at the park today, Lucia wished on a dandelion that I could stay with her forever, Cami is recognizing me these days with and without a mask; ironed, swam, finished laundry and made PC happy with fish sticks and tater tots for dinner. 06.01.2020
- Forgot to write my sentence! As much as I benefited from getting up early on Monday, I couldn’t do it today; babysat my pumpkins, got the house ready for carpet cleaning tomorrow, put away spring decor and pulled out 4th of July, picked up groceries at Walmart, made grilled pesto chicken and pasta for dinner. 06.02.2020
- Up early again, got a quick workout and run in, smoothie for breakfast, Cia-sat – we played we were hiding from coyotes in a cave; spent just a few minutes at the park before I dashed home for the carpet cleaners, moved all the area rugs to the driveway, vacuumed everything well; did some blog reading while he cleaned, inside out egg roll for dinner with oatmeal chocolate chip cookies for dessert, short walk before bed, spent a few minutes star-gazing on the balcony. 06.03.2020
- I am one tired Gabba today; up early to run and workout, fixed our smoothies and packed PC’s lunch now that he is working in the office again; over the mountain to Cia and Cami-sit, brought Cia home with me to swim, fixed ribs in the Instapot – some for Lauren’s fam and some for us – back over the mountain to return Cia, quick run to Hobby Lobby, dinner, walk in the park, early to bed. 06.04.2020
- No work out this morning – or all day – but did get my quiet time in before going across the mountain’; the babies were both at odds today and Lauren was understandably on overload with work, caring for 2 littles and trying to manage the house, I feel so badly for her and don’t know what to do to help; PC and I went to Lowe’s and Walmart when I got home, he spread more grass seed on our bare side yard, I fixed frozen pizza and tequila sunrises for dinner. 06.05.2020
- The tension outside our home has crept into our home…we were at odds with one another all day, but managed to work out, bike ride, work in the yard, takeout dinner then drove around to see which stores are open before capping things off with ice cream. 06.06.2020
- Such a pleasant Sunday – fertilized all of our flowering plants, put the finishing touches on our patio with the area rug and umbrella, PC mowed the grass, we set our new solar lights, made a quick Walmart run, swam, and then got ready to grill steaks until I discovered we were out of propane so switched to hot dogs, walk before bed. 06.07.2020
- Hit snooze right through quiet time and morning workout, then came downstairs to find the frig leaking again, but no time to do more than throw a towel on the floor in front of it; Lucia returned to daycare today so I helped get her ready, then helped with Cami, home to find a small lake on the kitchen floor flowing toward the den, but PC took the afternoon off in anticipation of such things and got it fixed, cheesy chicken and broccoli casserole for dinner. 06.08.2020
- This Gabba/Mimi is worn slick…up early for a walk and smoothie; Cia and Cami sat this morning, took Cia to school, helped with a few things around the kids house, Hobby Lobby stop on the way home, vacuumed, mopped, cleaned bathroom downstairs and got things ready for the girls and Lauren to come swimming, made patty-cakes (Lauren’s request); PC texted to say his sweet, feisty Great Aunt Gladys died today – she was a doll; soaked in the hot tub, ate dinner, video taped Kristin’s banner making craft-along, read with Cady on Facetime, did a great job on my to-do list today. 06.09.2020
- Couldn’t get up to exercise or to do my quiet time, then struggled to get out of the house at all; got Cia ready for school and dropped her off, then the kids decided I didn’t need to stay the rest of the morning, spent much of the afternoon waiting for the recycling trash collector so I could get rid of our patio furniture boxes, McDonald’s for dinner, Kevin got mom moved into her new apartment – 3rd move in 16 months. 06.10.2020
- QT, workout, run, smoothie, shower and over the mountain to get Cia to school; Cami slept most of the time I was there, so I cleaned out the kids’ pantry instead of baby-tending, home to work on a blog post, play with Cady on Facetime and begin work on my patriotic fabric balls, pulled pork BBQ for supper, a couple of rain showers in the early afternoon were refreshing. 06.11.2020
- Rain is rolling in again accompanied by thunder, lightning and terrific wind gusts…should be good sleeping; today was a Cami snuggling day as lil bit would not sleep, trip to the commissary for the first time in awhile, leftovers for dinner, blog reading before bed, sure enjoying the Audible version of Beach Read, laughing at the clever dialog. 06.12.2020
Momentary Return to Normalcy
- Almost felt like things were back to normal today, so many people out and about, most wearing masks but not all; we worked out, ran, popped into Walmart for a few things, swam, and enjoyed dinner on the patio of Kona Grill, Mom fell in the bathroom this morning. 06.13.2020
- What in the world?? We were up at 6:15, read and fell back to sleep til after 8:00, omelets for breakfast, quick trip to the outlet mall for Bath and Body Works wallflowers, swam with our flippers and snorkels, take out dinner from Casita Linda’s, mom is exhausting all of us with her crying, confusion, demands and yet she is so pitiful. 06.14.2020
- Morning started with a text from Kevin that mom had been taken to the ER after another fall, she checked out okay, thank goodness and was home before noon; workout, bike ride, blogging, laundry, swimming and a glass of wine on the patio under our umbrella. 06.15.2020
No Rest for the Weary
- Didn’t sleep well…snoozed instead of getting up with alarm to work out, quiet time on the patio then busy day with cleaning upstairs, laundry, ironing, making bread that wouldn’t rise, crafting with my sister, trying this Instapot chicken Marsala for dinner. 06.16.2020
- Lovin’ time on our patio – like today’s after workout/run smoothie breakfast followed by quiet time at my new blogging space, the patio table; blog reading and writing, dusted and vacuumed downstairs, watered plants, brushed the pool, listened to Beach Read on Audible and Dave Ramsey on Stitcher while I worked; soup and cornbread for supper. 06.17.2020
- At loose ends today, picked up groceries, prepared these chicken sandwiches, seasoned French fries, baked beans and brownies, played in the pool with the kids until time to start dinner, ate outside, snuggled Cami til she fell asleep, gave girls a bath, kids headed home at dusk and I crashed. 06.18.2020
- Kind of a lost day, goofed off this morning until smoothie time on the patio, blogged a little, scrapped a little, swam a little, took an afternoon nap, leftovers for dinner, more goofing off this evening working on my summer bucket list. 06.19.2020
- What a perfect day…workout, run, smoothie on the patio, came across the possible graveside on our desert walk so called the PD substation to have them meet us for a look; officers determined that despite the shovels beside and the cross a top the mound, it wasn’t a grave; made more patriotic balls, swam, snuggled, supper at the mom and pop cafe Chase the Taste around the corner and froyo for dessert. 06.20.2020
- Quiet Father’s Day…bike ride up to the market for doughnuts, lots of blogging and Pinterest time, talked to mom twice, finished my patriotic balls, swam, and PC requested a Big Mac for supper; my sweet Cady is having hard times right now and my heart breaks for her. 06.21.2020
Sleepless in El Paso
- Another sleepless night…worrying about mom and Cady, up at 12:30 to write, and do quiet time, then back in bed to roll around for hours longer; got up at 6:00 am to run and workout, over the mountain to help with my girls, Cami was especially lovable; Hobby Lobby stop on my way home for a little red wagon and metal fan, meatloaf for supper, Mom is finally out of quarantine – Thank You, God! 06.22.2020
- Workout but no run today, wore a maxi to Lauren’s to help with my babies, then lost track of the afternoon, fixed this Hawaiian salad for dinner, TV and blogging tonight, over 5,000 new cases of Covid in Texas today. 06.23.2020
- Ewww, you know? Just ewww. This year sucks and I feel like writing more than one sentence today just to say #2020 you suck. Helped with my babies but forgot to take my crazy meds (OCD/anxiety meds) so felt a bit out of it til I got home and remedied that; worked for hours trying to re-enable my phone to be used as a remote for my camera and got it figured out!!; had ordered a new separate remote that I want to figure out next; this easy crockpot chicken for dinner; mom is pitiful and Kevin is so frustrated and tired and done. 06.24.2020
- Home this morning so enjoyed about 3 hours on the patio, PC took the afternoon off and Lauren and Cami came over for lunch and a dip in the hot tub, threat of rain all evening but nary a drop. 06.25.2020
- Mom had a terrible day, much crying and she even told Valerie she wished she could commit suicide except she knows how it would hurt all of us, turns out she has a raging UTI, we scrambled and got a prescription sent into the pharmacy and delivered so she could start taking it before bed, Saharan sand storm has arrived. 06.26.2020
Better Day for Mom
- Amazing how much more upbeat I am when I know my mom is having a good day; by breakfast, she had 2 doses of UTI meds in her system and was feeling/acting much better, scary, scary what UTIs do to women; walk on the west side of town, prepared, cooked and enjoyed the Hello Fresh meal Lauren gifted us, “Upload” on TV. 06.27.2020
- Quiet Sunday…church online, began trying to help mom with issues early on, we are so concerned because she cries through every phone call lately; helped PC clean the pool filters, started laundry, scrapbooked with my sister, Lauren is feeling bad with fever, stomach issues, sore throat, headache so is going to have a Covid test tomorrow, 1200 cases in El Paso this week. 06.28.2020
- Didn’t step out of bed before mom called in tears unable to use her phone…even though she had called me…and her remote, we don’t know what in the world to do, had several folks working with mom this morning to help her with the phone and remote but she didn’t make much headway, we are afraid she has had another stroke; Lauren felt bad all day, will get results from Covid test in 3-7 days, PC worked from home, I am exhausted. 06.29.2020
Roller Coaster Ride
- Lauren is feeling some better, PC worked from home again, mom called and was finally more chipper; scrapbooked Brennyn’s wedding while Face Timing with Valerie, Subway for supper, our Covid cases continue to increase, and hospitalizations, too; so long June, it was hard to tell you from April and May, hope July is better. 06.30.2020
What kept you going in June? Did you have any pleasant surprises? Was there something you enjoyed that made life feel more normal again? If you have a month summary or sentence a day 06.2020 post, please link up with us below.
Before I go…
Have several more posts up my sleeve for the week. If I can just sit down long enough to get them put together and published. Hope you will run back by again soon. And as always, thank you for spending a few moments of your day here with me. Stay well, my friends.
Hugs and kisses,