Welcome, chums to Sentence a Day 05.2023 – my monthly review of life in one run-on sentence a day. Today I am bringing you my sentences from May. Did this month seem terribly long to YOU? Maybe it’s just me. But seems like we’ve been waiting for PC’s surgery forever…first scheduled for 05.31 and now 06.07.2023. We are about to make it.
Sentence a Day – OGT 2023
As always, want to give a big thanks to Rebecca Jo at Knit by God’s Hand for creating this series. This year, Rebecca is starting something that goes with SaD, she says it combines both. A thankful month idea – where every day, she will post a blessing, a gratitude for that day. And those posts will go live on the first Thursday of each month. Can’t believe I am on time this month!!
For each of my daily entries, you will see OGT after the date for that (looooooong) sentence. OGT = one good thing. And I am following Rebecca’s good lead by including one good thing I am grateful for each day.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links which are usually italicized. If you click or make a purchase from an italicized link provided I may receive a very small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for your support.
And you can find where I link-up on this page.
Sentence a Day 05.2023
And we’re off…
I Love Mondays
- Monday, new week, new month; laundry day and caught up on all of my ironing, changed sheets on the bed; made my version of this chicken salad with rotisserie chicken, tried on my new shorts ($10.49) and my balloon mother jeans (got them for $8.00) – love them, they remind me of the ’90s; mailed some scrapbook paper to my sissy for her bday and sent off my iMemories box with VHS-C and VHS tapes from my TV show and the girls’ childhood; had my eyebrows threaded; dinner, Supernatural workout, watched Reds game before bed; started new book of the month “The Coincidence of Coconut Cake” by
- Kind of all over the place; up early for quiet time – hallelujah; got PC off to work; paid our whopping water bill (from refilling pool); ordered one of these square headbands that is supposed to look similar to the way wearing sunglasses on the top of your head looks – creates a great poof!! and this darling baseball tee for PC’s games once he can play again; met PC to early vote; grabbed brunch at iHop; home to tear into the upstairs guest bedroom for spring cleaning – oy vey; continued listening to the step mom trial; scrapbooked a few minutes with my sister; pork chops, au gratin potatoes and this corn for dinner; Supernatural workout and Reds baseball before bed. 05.02.2023 OGT: up early
Lots of Happys
- Happy birthday, Valerie!! I am glad you were born. And happy anniversary to Brennyn and Mustafa!! The photo below was from their traditional Afghan wedding. So glad you met and married!! Need to get back to my do-nothing or have-fun on Wednesdays but today that wasn’t the case; mowed the grass front and back, refilled the hummingbird feeder which had fallen from the shepherd’s hook but luckily not broken; jumped back into the trial and the spring cleaning; ordered this new swim suit for our visit this weekend to Balmorhea but now I don’t think it will arrive in time; just wanted to have pieces that I might be comfortable walking around in; restrung a wind chime and added beads from one of Mom’s necklaces; chicken salad and queso for supper; watched and enjoyed “JuryDuty” on FreeVee very much. 05.03.2023 OGT: having something to watch on TV
- Up early for quiet time – that’s 2 days this week; walked around the park with PC them made him a breakfast burrito, packed his lunch and got him on his way to work; started laundering the bedding and drapes from the guest room; ran on the treadmill; used the rowing machine; curled up on the couch for a nap; scrapped with my sister for a few minutes; met PC at the theater to see “Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret, “ which was good and got me started thinking about how other women felt about growing up – would love to create a survey about that; started the new segment of “Bridgerton” tonight. 05.04.2023 OGT: nap
- Feliz cinco de mayo!! Happy anniversary to Lauren and Francisco!! So glad you found each other and fell in love. Breakfast, Supernatural, grabbed a few things to pack for our road trip to Monahans for George’s grandson’s regional baseball tournament, picked up corn nuts (my traveling snack) and sunflower seeds (for PC) for the trip; very much enjoyed a detour we took at Calera Chapel and then Balmorhea State Park where we swam in the spring-fed pool; checked in at La Quinta; grabbed Wendy’s on our way to the ball game; hard loss for El Paso’s Eastwood Troopers; glad to be there to support George, Vita and their grandson Noah; visited and drank a few beers in the lobby with gang before bed. 05.05.2023 OGT: swimming at beautiful Balmorhea
Dreams and Nightmares
- Nearly froze last night because someone pulled the covers off the bed, wonder who?? We had breakfast at the hotel and visited with Vita a few minutes before heading home to El Paso; poor George had a very hard night after the game with a lot of pain; the drive was pretty quick and we were settled into our favorite Mexican restaurant for lunch by 1:30 pm; stopped at Lowe’s for a couple of things; PC worked on the sprinklers, I picked up magnolia leaves that our tree has dropped – everywhere – but it is loaded with beautiful, fragrant blossoms; leftovers for supper; watched the Reds game and the news of another mass shooting in the Allen, Texas outlet mall. 05.06.2023 OGT: home, sweet home
- Oh, my crazy melatonin-inspired dreams – puppies, having my period again in front of everyone, dentist appointments – glad to wake up; back to church today with a good message shared by assistant pastor Brown; lunch at Red Lobster – I had lobster-stuffed flounder; raked up more magnolia leaves as PC blew them out of the rocks and off the tree branches and into the grass; scrapbooked with Valerie, Trey was in a bad wreck last night but was only slightly injured, thank God; swam laps in our wet suits despite the 72* water temp; grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner; blog reading before bed. 05.07.2023 OGT: remembering PC’s father, Wally
- Good Monday: up early to pray and enjoy quiet time before the world woke up; kitties fed, PC out the door and then I spent some time watering the plants, pulling weeds and walking in sunshine; enjoyed a Joanne-inspired yogurt and fresh fruit breakfast; did some blog reading; threw together a crockpot chicken pot pie; finished spring cleaning the upstairs guest bedroom and linen closet; walked 1.6 miles on the treadmill while talking to Kevin, my brother; verdict came back in stepmom trial – guilty on all 4 counts; Supernatural workout after dinner; watched more of “Shrinking” on Apple+. 05.08.2023 OGT: meeting those goals
- Over the mountain and through the woods minus the woods; enjoyed sitting with the girls while they didn’t eat breakfast and Lauren struggled to get them to sit still so she could do their hair; then when I helped them brush their teeth, Lucia told me she loves me…unprovoked – HEAVEN; played ‘Babies’ with Cam on the way to school; stopped at Hobby Lobby to get my supplies for the upcoming poppy painting project; picked up reworked blue striped earrings; finished the guest room and the linen closet; signed our wills, etc., ka-ching; dinner at La Madeleine’s, followed by a great writing group session and we have a new member; Matt called Paul while we were at writing, left a kind of cryptic message. 05.09.2023 OGT: Matt contacted PC
- PC didn’t sleep well sooooo…yup, neither of us slept well; he had a doctor’s appointment for his surgical clearance paperwork; then talked to Matt and there is more to worry about – altercations with a neighbor that brought the police, landed in the hospital and then the psych center; he was released last night but had another encounter with the neighbor today, which brought the police out again; heaven help him and us; folded laundry; cleaned out refrig; went through all of our files and pitched a butt load of old warranties, papers, manuals; scrapped with my sister; taco salad for supper; read some while watching “Ted Lasso” and “Shrinking” on Apple+. 05.10.2023 OGT: working around the house with PC
- All over the place today; late to do quiet time; ironed some last pieces of clothing from the laundry this week; planted some portulaca; gave flowers MiracleGro; worked on blog posts; eyes were really bothering me so I took a cat nap; scrapbooked a little with Valerie; made red beans and rice with smoked sausage for dinner, cornbread and Watergate salad; when I went up to bed, PC had arranged a dozen or more photos of me all around my dresser. 05.11.2023 OGT: napping
- Over the mountain to take the littles to school – enjoy my time with them so much; then Lauren and I walked about on some Franklin Park trails, visiting and picking up trash – 4 bags full; took pictures of our yard and garden for an upcoming post; I want to spend more time out there; wish the winds would die down and the temps would warm up so we could more comfortably swim; soon, I guess. 05.12.2023 OGT: our pretty yard
- Baseball Saturday; walk around the lake before the game; another tough loss for the Yankees but PC had some good plays in left center and 2 good hits; Lucy’s Mexican for lunch and DQ blizzards after; worked a few minutes on my scrapbooking and setting up my Cricut Joy that Lauren gave me for my birthday; PC and I finished sorting through things in the office; I started on the bins of photos and mementos under our bed…woe is me; snacky supper; finished watching “Queen Charlotte” with tears in our eyes. 05.13.2023 OGT: progress on spring cleaning
Happy Mother’s Day
- Happy Mother’s Day to all those who are mommies or had a mommy!! I am missing mine today and every day. Fed the kitties, all 4 – Sim, Snick and the 2 strays were are feeding these days; shower, dressed and over the mountain in my new Target sundress and cowboy boots; good message…I need to keep trying to be a better me, to keep growing; Whataburger breakfast biscuit; walked around the outlet mall; stopped at Lowe’s for more groundcover to plant on the shady side of the house with the clover; worked on my mixed media poppy project with Valerie; ordered Olive Garden – thanks to my sweet, sweet (blogging) friend Danielle for the gift card; took the food to Lauren’s for a quick dinner, and a nice time picking 4 leaf clovers in their back yard; home to do Supernatural and watch “Top Gun 2.” 05.14.2023 OGT: my perfectly wonderful daughters that made me a mommy
- Here we go again...blogging issues…disabled ModSecurity and things seem to be working better; GRRRRR; busy day with quiet time first thing – love – laundry, blog writing, pulling out under-the-bed bins and gathering all old photos to be scanned; downloaded/uploaded this app to help me scan all the photos more quickly; mammogram and bone density tests across town; ran on the treadmill; Supernatural workout; watched Reds baseball before bed; listening to white noise rain sounds on PC’s phone in hopes it will help us sleep better. 05.15.2023 OGT: medical technology
Birth Control Glasses
- Up early for quiet time; ran on the treadmill while Paul used the elliptical; got PC off with his breakfast and lunch, kitties fed, then began sorting photos from under the bed bins; folded laundry and put it away; wrote a little on Cuddles Lil Bitsy; ran on the treadmill to complete my 1.6 miles; walked in the sunshine listening to “Golden Doves” by Martha Hall Kelly; tried out my SqHair headband; eye exam – first one in 4 years – and selected some glasses I thought were adorable but no one else seemed to think the same thing, called to cancel the order and will go back to exchange them tomorrow; worked on my poppy art; KFC bowls for dinner; over the mountain for writing; DQ blizzards on the way home; delightful rain storm followed us from the top of the mountain all the way down. 05.16.2023 OGT: rain!!
- First order of business was going back to the eye doctor to exchange my glasses for some less over the top and slightly less fun; cleaned the upstairs bathroom, washed shower curtain, all towels; worked on my poppy painting; across the mountain to pick up Cia and Cam at daycare; Jason’s Deli for dinner with the girls who were a bit wiggly; met Lauren at Lundy for a tile painting fund raiser; home to watch “Ted Lasso” and work on blog posts. 05.17.2023 OGT: how fresh and the clean the world is after a rain
- Thursday…quiet time a little late; good run on the treadmill and my sit-ups – finally; filled the gas tank for our trip this weekend; picked up prescriptions as Walgreens; cleaned the office from top to bottom including windows and carpet; tried to stamp wording onto my poppy project but my ink pad is too dry; PC wanted to go to dinner so we visited Boozy Tacos which was really good with great happy hour specials; brought half our meal home to eat on the road tomorrow; have a couple of Rover.com jobs lined up. 05.18.2023 OGT: good run
- Up early to finish packing, fed the kitties and out the door by 7:30 am; Fluff was here for breakfast so I let her owner know that we are going to be gone for the weekend and she needs to feed HER cat; PC started driving then I took over about 9:30 and drove until 3:30, he drove the rest of the way through crazy Austin rush hour; checked in at Brava House – very comfortable Garbo Suite, lovely grounds; walked to a Middle Eastern food truck for gyros and 2 more miles to Target to buy pjs I forgot to pack; Austin was alive with all kinds of folks and lots of activity; drinks at Little Woodrow’s; home to relax and read. 05.19.2023 OGT: change of scenery
- Struggled to sleep for a bit last night with the cicadas and frogs making noise outside our window; delicious breakfast at Brava House; climbed back in the car for the drive north to our old stomping grounds – Ft. Hood and Copperas Cove, where we both lived before we were a ‘WE;’ weather was cool and dreary, the area was rundown and depressing; brought back lots of sad feelings I think for both of us; tried to find our former houses with little luck; McD’s for lunch; back to Austin; a few quiet minutes in our room before dressing and heading out to dinner and Steve Martin-Martin Short; ate at a disappointing beer garden; our seats for the show were nosebleed but we could still enjoy the jokes and music; tired tonight and ready to be home again. 05.20.2023 OGT: I am married to Paul now
No Place Like It
- There’s no place like home…took us all day to get back here but we are here, safe and sound; slept like champs,, showered, dressed and enjoyed breakfast at Brava House before heading out for home; PC drove the first half and I drove the second; we thought about stopping in Fredricksburg but I had awakened in the night thinking I would rather spend our money on local wines and doing something here at home; when we got home our sail had dropped into the pool from strong winds and rain last night; Simmy is still struggling, gurgling, unable to clean herself so I gave her a spit bath; sandwiches for supper; caught up with my girls on the phone; Declan is sick again, but going to ENT tomorrow; began watching “A Small Light” – the story of Miep Gies who courageously hid the Frank family. 05.21.2023 OGT: taking trips and coming home
- Sometime in the middle of the night as 05.21.2012 became 05.22.2012, we said goodbye to my daddy. Thinking of you, daddy. Hoping you can feel our love for you. All over the place today, slept very well in our own bed; after breakfast we took Paul’s car for an oil change, and my car to the dealer for a free car wash; walked the outlet mall; lunch at Taco Tote; PC headed home and I went to Hobby Lobby to buy the supplies for the various summer art projects my sister and I have registered for; fixed pumpkin ravioli and marinara sauce, corn on the cob; watched more of “A Small Light” – heart wrenching, so good; Supernatural workout. 05.22.2023 OGT: anticipation of creating
Happy at Home
- Not sure you know this about me but I love, love, love to be home…and today I was…the whole glorious day; up early for quiet time – such a good girl; ran on the treadmill; walked with weights and my PC around the park; got my hubby off to work; used the rowing machine; did some much belated blog reading; prepared a Walmart order for pick up tomorrow for us and one for delivery for my MIL May; put away laundry, cleaned the master bath; lunch then joined my sister to begin work on a Summer Vibes painting; made chicken, broccoli, cheesy rice casserole for dinner; sit-ups during the 7th inning of the Reds loss to St. Louis; watch more of “A Small Light” – would we have tried to help the Jewish people like Miep and Jan Gies?? 05.23.2023 OGT: my mammogram and bone density tests were normal
- Loved yesterday and today wasn’t half bad either; couldn’t get up to do quiet time but did it later; dreamed about Mom, woke up thinking about Dad; PC was sad last night about his surgery – just ready for it to be over and for him to be on the road to recovery; picked up grocery order and put away; worked on leaves for tropical flowers painting, stamped letters on poppy painting; ironed; sold weight set on OfferUp; ironed a bunch; painted flowers with Valerie on tropical flower project; fixed Mexican corn, brats, potato salad for dinner; sit-ups/leg lifts at 7th inning; watched second to last episode of Ted Lasso while organizing the old photos I scanned today. 05.24.2023 OGT: doing things I’ve promised myself to do
- Over the mountain early today to take my bambinas to school; I just want to hold them sometimes, but we are always rushing; good hugs from Lauren before we left for school; ran into Walmart in search of patriotic fabric for an upcoming craft project then on to Hobby Lobby; got a text message saying my glasses were in so popped by to pick them up, I like!!; home to run on treadmill, eat lunch and start the big job of spring cleaning our bedroom, closet and dressers – started in on dresser and jewelry; finished my first Summer Vibes painting; PC cooked = Taco Bell for dinner; finished “A Small Light” – even though I knew, of course, how it was going to end, I was heartbroken at the ending; oh, this mean old world. 05.25.2023 OGT: Anne Frank and Miep Gies and the so many others just like them whose names we don’t know
- We get up early well one day and then can barely drag ourselves out of bed the rest of the week; made smoothies and got PC off to work; unloaded dishwasher, watered plants, did a Supernatural workout; then back to the spring cleaning – more drawers, started on the closet; late lunch while painting my dragonfly with my sister; Paul got home early and we SWAM – one of us in a wet suit (me) but I did 30 laps; patty cakes for supper; watched “Air” and the Michael J. Fox documentary, “Still”; have stayed up past our bedtime. 05.26.2023 OGT: swimming
- Saturday – we slept late!!; had breakfast; I sent out the book summaries and voting link for the June book: finished cleaning the closet and dressers in our room then got started cleaning the shed and garage – I think we have everything pulled together for next week’s yard sale; will finish the spring cleaning in our room, bathroom and my loft next week; ordered pizza and ate it will soaking in the hot tub; watched “13 Hours” to kick off the Memorial Day weekend. 05.27.2023 OGT: pizza and a glass of red wine
- Skipped church; worked on the yard – mowing, weedeating; hired the man working next door to repair our rock walls and to give me an estimate for a flagstone walk; showered and met the girls across the mountain for “The Little Mermaid,” which was so pretty, and very true to the original; I had gotten something in my eye when I mowed, sat with my hand over my left eye through the movie; PC bought eye drops at Walmart and tried to wash it out; still hurting so I went to MedPost and they washed it out thoroughly with saline; it was soon better; Panda Express for dinner on the way home; got to quit eating out; watched the Reds then off to bed. 05.28.2023 OGT: seeing my girls
- My eye was a bit swollen and bruised this morning; quiet time in bed while PC dozed; breakfast on the patio – so pleasant, enjoy hearing the water in the pool, feeling the breeze and the morning sun; watered some of the areas of yard that aren’t getting watered well by the sprinklers; took a long walk in the sunshine; organized more scanned photos on Photomyne; went to the Ft. Bliss National Cemetery to pay our respects on Memorial Day; tacos for dinner; more worries with Matt who is wanting to sleep at Paul’s brother’s house or have someone stay with him at his apartment, still refusing his meds, not looking for work. we are worked sick; PC’s hip is aching for no reason, coming down with an upper respiratory infection. 05.29.2023 OGT: sitting outside for breakfast
New Books and New Crafts
- Tuesday that felt like a Monday; up early for my quiet time; PC went to the doctor and came home with 6 prescriptions for sinusitis and bronchitis; he took the day off and we just worked on laundry and washing all the bedding in our room; for the June book my book club winded up with a tie so we are having a tie breaker that will be determined tomorrow; grilled a steak, baked potato and sweet potato and broccoli with cheese for supper, baked a rare batch of brownies; worked on my patriotic star project with Valerie for a bit; finished reading The Coincidence of Coconut Cake in time to start our June book, The Mostly True Story of Tanner and Louise. 05.30.2023 OGT: books
- This was originally PC’s surgery date but the doctor went on vacation instead; hope he will return rested for Paul’s surgery next week; over the mountain for Lucia’s play at school; she did so well with her lines, I was proud of all these babies – they have grown up a lot since I subbed with them in kinder; after the play Cami and I ran to Dollar Tree to buy some slime which we took to McD’s and played with during lunch; home to meet the wall repair guy but he didn’t show up until dinner time and worked until dusk but got them all shored up; worked on the stitching around my patriotic star; chicken on the grill for dinner; got in my treadmill run and sit-ups; ready to greet a new month. 05.31.2023 OGT: being creative
What I Wore This Month
Because I have kind of moved away from sharing my outfits lately, I thought I would create a little collage of my outfits (other than workout clothes) for May. Apparently, there weren’t many!!! We were out of town one weekend so I didn’t dress for church then and we missed church a week or two. That seems to be about the only time I dress. How sad is that?
- Alison & Aubrey polka dot kimono, black and white striped tee, Loft black ponte pants, black and white color block flats.
- Target Knox Rose A-line dress, Old Navy denim jacket, Amazon Globalwin cowgirl boots.
- Old Navy cropped sweatshirt and my new ON high-waisted balloon denim jeans paired with Crown Vintage platform tennies.
- Old, old Old Navy striped tee, light wash denim and Payless black kicks.
- Alison and Aubrey floral kimono, Old Navy distressed denim, old black tee, Skechers walking sandals.
Guess I need to dress up more this month!!
Here’s my 1 Second Everyday video summary of May.
2023 WOTY Update: Consistent
I have been more aware of trying to be consistent. In things like exercise, quiet time, taking time for hobbies. Trying to finish projects (spring cleaning, I’m talking to YOU). Meeting my seasonal goals. Some of my victories have been doing Wordle for 28 days straight. And using Norton to clean the junk files from my phone every day. Yeah, nothing much to write home about but these are day-to-day activities I want to accomplish. Supernatural 4 times a week. Running 3 days a week. Little victories.
Well, it’s finally your turn. Tell me true, how was your month of May? What plans do you have for June and the rest of the summer? I have been trying to wind this up for 2 days. And I am finally, finally done!! Off to set out all of our stuff for tomorrow’s yard sale. Once it is over, I will do an update on my spring goals and bucket list. Just want to earn that one more checkmark.
Thank you for stopping by. Enjoy your first weekend in June!!
Hugs and kisses,