Welcome to Sentence a Day, 04.2019. If you haven’t tried writing a sentence a day, blogger or not, I would encourage you to do so. I am always going back to months passed to see when I did what, or traveled where or even wore a certain outfit. My life is chronicled between this series and my Google photos. So thankful to have discovered Rebecca Jo at Knit by God’s Hand through our mutual friend Sarah at Foxy’s Domestic Side and this series.
Have struggled to write my sentences much of this year. Didn’t get started on May until yesterday, 05.05.2019. So almost a week late. When I am out of town, my connectivity is very uncertain and my online time very minimal. Sometimes I have to go back over my photos to figure out what happened on a certain day. As soon as I set this to post, need to write my sentence for today!
Sentence a Day, 04.2019
Was out of town caring for mom in Kentucky a third of the month. My days may read like a broken record. Here’s my April recap.
- This shiny new month begins on a Monday the first shiny day of the week…had hopes of accomplishing much but off to a slow start…quiet time, blog reading and writing, a walk in the sunshine; Lauren had to euthanize Doughnut, her 17 year-old kitty due to renal failure, he was so precious; met my Prince for dinner at Taco Tote, my mom is having pain and swelling in the right hand and arm where her IV PICC line had been. 04.01.2019
- Texts about my mom and photos of her hand and arm awaited me when I awoke this morning, spent most of the day back and forth with my brother, sister and daughters about mom, who was readmitted into the hospital this afternoon; met PC for the results of his abdominal ultrasound – unconclusive – no mass but we aren’t sure why his liver and kidney functions are abnormal, steak on the grill for dinner and a nice sunset walk around the park. 04.02.2019
- PC had blood work to do so took the day off, gym after his lab work, savored a couple’s massage, then ate at Crave where I had a hamburger minus half the bun and the most delicious sweet potato waffle fries with a creamy sweet dip, cucumber-mint water…so good. 04.03.2019
- Optimistic that mom would be released from the hospital only to have her hand begin to swell worse and they decided to keep her, thankfully; dropped off PC’s faded Cincinnati Reds wreath to be refurbished by my crafty friend Susan – she’s a miracle worker with ribbon and wreaths; butter chicken for dinner – a new recipe I need to share here. 04.04.2019
- Spent most of the morning trying to get my mom re-enrolled for Medicare Part D, did a quick clean of the downstairs, folded laundry, ran to the Walmart Neighborhood Market for groceries, gym with PC, blogging and then pre-bedtime walk around the park. 04.05.2019
- Happy unbirthday to me; really didn’t feel like a birthday but at 61 a birthday is really just another day; walked around the lake before PC’s game, beautiful weather, close game, fish sticks at home for lunch, washed the kitties, soaked in the hot tub, darling birthday bouquet from Buff and Cia and Francisco, shrimp chow-da, recipe here, Final 4 basketball and bedtime walk. 04.06.2019
- Slept like an angel, rushed to get out the door for church, good message about The Lord’s Prayer, birthday shopping at Under Armour where PC treated me to some cute workout clothes to motivate me more…wearing tank tops to encourage me to work my arms; new bathing suit at Academy (intentionally blurred below!), lunch at PF Chang’s ahi poke bowl…yum; yard work in the afternoon, lunch leftovers for dinner, GOOD conversation with my mom and sister, HALLELUJAH! 04.07.2019
- Quiet time to start the day, lunch at a new German restaurant with Dolores and Nancy, Walmart for odds and ends, disappointing chuck roast for dinner, beautiful evening for our bedtime stroll. 04.08.2019
- Accomplished a lot today…QT, spring cleaning, writing, posting, worked on my mosaic, listened to my book, great work out at the gym and another bedtime walk after shrimp chowder for supper. 04.09.2019
- The promise of another windy forecast fulfilled, worked in the garden at One Grub Community with Lorena, planting pumpkins and tending rosemary bushes, ate a plant-based lunch that was so good, ran to Hobby Lobby to get supplies for my Pinterest challenge. 04.10.2019
- Finished the spring cleaning in my loft with carpet cleaning, putting up freshly washed blinds and curtains, feels and looks so nice in there, 2 rooms down, finally able to get my second Shingrix vaccine after months of waiting, feeling ok so far. 04.11.2019
- Call from Haley and mom’s hand is beginning to swell again, all 3 of us scrambled trying to get her back on antibiotics, thankful for Haley from Senior Helpers and Wheeler’s Pharmacy for doing their jobs so well; woke up with a headache, feeling achy, running a 101* fever – a reaction to the vaccine. 04.12.2019
- Another win for the El Paso Yankees but PC is really not feeling up to par…chest cold and his back, added our lock to the locks of love at the lake, quiet afternoon and evening. 04.13.2019
- My Prince C. had a difficult night coughing and feeling generally miserable, went to see “They Shall Not Grow Old” at the theater – so good – documentary about World War I created by Peter LOTR Jackson using historic original film of the war that he enhanced to bring up to today’s cinematography standards; PC went to the urgent care clinic and was diagnosed with bronchitis.
- Up early to a text about mom falling again, worked with Valerie and Kevin to put the third level of care from Senior Helpers in place for her as well as concierge care at night, she had another appointment with the infectious disease doctor who prescribed additional weeks of antibiotics for mom’s hand; worked on my Pinterest Challenge project. PC and I tussled over the amount of time I spend trying to help family – mom, daughters, brother, sister with issues. It appears to him that I am getting nothing else much done around here. 04.15.2019
- PC had his spinal nerve ablation this morning and it worked…hallelujah…painfree! 04.16.2019
- Busy day…dealt with calls and texts about mom for much of the morning while cleaning the upstairs, finished laundry, cleaned downstairs after lunch, mini walk mid-afternoon, 2 brief spring showers, colored tonight after our bedtime stroll. 04.17.2019
- Pampered myself today with some reading, pleasant walk to and from the salon for a mani and pedi, and then our first Chihuahua’s baseball game of the season…hot dogs, nachos, beer and funnel cake, baby! 04.18.2019
- Slept til 9:09…just crazy and almost sinful…scrapped and Skyped with Valerie, gym with my PC, talked to the girls, my brother, my mom, dinner at Casita Linda’s and home to watch Live PD; Haley, mom’s caregiver, sent a photo early this a.m. of mom’s legs after her shower today…the left leg was almost double the size of the right, here we go again. Poor mama. 04.19.2019
- Was hoping to sleep late again, but my Prince was up before 7:00 am; leisurely morning, good breakfast, hour workout at the gym, our weekly trek to the outlet mall but I didn’t buy a thing (!), dinner at Red Lobster, home for our nightly walk, blog writing and movie watching. 04.20.2019
- Easter…we always laugh when we say that word and think of “Nacho Libre” (Jack Black) who says he’s had diarrheas since Easter…uplifting message at church, buffet on Biggs Army Air Field where we ate too much and almost instantly regretted it. 04.21.2019
- My Prince left for Washington at 8:00 am and then I left for Kentucky at 12:00, arrived in Lexington at 7:00 pm and ran by mom’s to say hi and get a hug before going to Kevin’s for the night. 04.22.2019
- Appointment first thing this morning for mom with her psychiatrist, Kevin and I took mom for dinner at a Chinese buffet, Bingo before bed. 04.23.2019
- Kevin is off to Florida, I spent a quiet morning with mom, treated her and her best friend Claire to a KFC picnic on the patio of the apartment complex (they had mouths full of chicken when I took this pic), my mom gets so little sunshine and it was a beautiful afternoon, Bingo again before bed. 04.24.2019
- Early appointment with mom’s PA, who became very concerned about her swollen leg and sent us for an ultrasound; the imaging technician called the PA with the results and we were directed to get mom to the ER immediately, where we sat for 4 hours (I was LIVID), until she was called back and ultimately admitted for extensive blog clots in her left leg. 04.25.2019
- Arrived at the hospital before 8:00 am, in hopes of catching the doctor, when I learned he hadn’t seen the images, I dashed to the clinic to retrieve them so mom wouldn’t have to have another ultrasound, the doctor confirmed that mom has one clot extending from her groin to her calf, sweet mom was so brave. 04.26.2019
- To the hospital early again, spent the morning with mom, then ran errands, did a quick workout at the gym, cleaned her apartment, took her McDonald’s for dinner (her request), more bad news – she now has C-diff, an extremely contagious stomach bacteria and we must wear gowns and gloves in mom’s presence, stayed with her til bedtime, spent the night in mom’s apartment rather than going back to Kevin’s. 04.27.2019
- Kevin got back in town and to the hospital in time to meet with us and the doctor; now mom doesn’t have C-diff – how does that happen? – and she was released from the hospital, with instructions to get mom moving for the clots, we are all kind of shell-shocked. 04.28.2019
- Had planned to go home on Tuesday but all things considered, have decided to stay to care for mom this week while Kevin goes back out of town; mom fell on her way to the bathroom this morning – the 3rd Monday fall in a row, took mom down for exercise, but she wasn’t able to do much, joined a few of our favorite Lafayette ladies to make Kentucky derbies, watched jeopardy together before I tucked her in for the night. 04.29.2019
- My poor mama, now she has a rash in 3 places – a rash that itches and burns and hurts, back to the doctor tomorrow; walked around the neighborhood near Lafayette, the yards are so green, the flowers so bright, the musty summery smells so familiar from my childhood. 04.30.2019
As I am preparing this post to go live, I have been home again for a few days. Enjoyed being back in my Monday routine of laundry and ironing. Loved being with my mom, thankful that I was able to go to help her a little. Thankful that we could laugh together about something every single day that I was there.
How did your April shape up? What were the highlights and most memorable days? Would love to hear about your month in a comment below. Or, if you’ve written a sentence a day post, please link up with us below.
Here’s wishing all of us a happy, healthy May. It’s not too late to begin writing your Sentence a Day, grab a pen and get started.
Hugs and kisses,