Doing a little comparison shopping from my fashion haus today. A sweet friend and reader, Juhli at A Boomer Girl’s Guide, asked if I could do a post comparing Fashom to Stitch Fix. Great idea, huh? And I decided to throw in the Get Your Pretty On capsule wardrobe challenges, too.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click a link provided we may receive a very small commission. Thank you for your support!
This spring I was invited to try Fashom Style Service. Had read about the great experiences a few other bloggers had with Fashom so when they reached out to me, I was tickled pink! You can check out my review post, here.
Fashom describes its service this way:
YOU pick the styles that get shipped to you! After your stylist has put together your outfits, you preview and select which ones ship – we don’t randomly select styles for you to try without seeing them first. We offer budget friendly clothing without compromising on quality. Our vendors are ethically sourced from around the world. If you keep 3 or 4 pieces, you will get 25% off and 30% discount if you keep all 5. [source]
How Fashom Works
The screenshot below explains how Fashom works.
- Fill out your style profile & submit a styling request.
- Review your selected items & pick what ships.
- Keep what you love & send back the rest.
I registered for an account. Then in a text block on Fashom’s styling request page, I described my style (whatever that is!), shared the URL to my blog and my Pinterest and Instagram accounts so my stylist could see the kinds of clothes I liked. This is also the place to share if you’re looking for outfits for a special occasion or any feedback from your last request.
Step by Step
Here is a summary of how Fashom works:
- Request to be “Styled”. Please use my referral link and we will both earn $10 on our next Fashom order.
- Pay a $15.00 styling fee.
- Personal stylist pulls together 7-8 pieces in a style review for consideration.
- From the 7-8 items total, choose 5 to be shipped. Shipping takes approximately 10-12 days.
- Decide what to keep and what to return by indicating your choices online within 3 days from the receipt of the shipment.
- Styling fee would be applied to the balance owed when all 5 pieces are kept.
- Get 25% off for keeping 3 pieces and 30% discount for keeping all 5.
- Shipping and returns are free.
- For every box sold, Fashom donates $1 to Second Chance Rescue NYC.
- No subscription required.
These are the pieces I chose from the style review provided by my stylist.
The prices are a little more than I would normally pay for any of the items by about $10.00-15.00. The total for these 5 pieces was $248, but I received a 25% discount for buying 3. Making my total about $115.00. I returned the APNY tunic and the Renee C. top. Both were lovely but I couldn’t afford everything in my box and preferred the other pieces over those. Please check out my Fashom looks, here.
Several years ago, I discovered Stitch Fix and gave it a go and really enjoyed the experience. This past spring, I decided it was time for another fix. Here’s how Stitch Fix describes their service:
Stitch Fix is the personal style service for men and women that evolves with your tastes, needs and lifestyle. It’s our mission to change the way people find clothes they love by combining technology with the personal touch of seasoned style experts. The Stitch Fix experience is not merely curated—it’s truly personalized to you. We’re here to help you save time, look great and evolve your personal style over time. [source]
How Stitch Fix Works
The screenshot below explains how Stitch Fix works:
- Get clothing based on your style, size and price range for a $20 styling fee.
- Try on pieces at home and only buy what you like. Stitch Fix will credit the $20 toward anything you keep.
- Shipping and returns are free—prepaid return envelope included.
Was pleasantly surprised at how Stitch Fix has fine-tuned the process for identifying a user’s personal style. They have an assortment of 30 second quizzes to narrow down one’s taste in handbags, fit, denim and to determine the clothing a user already has in her closet. I provided my sizes, proportions, occasions for which I would like to have clothes, and my price point – “the cheaper the better.” And then Stitch Fix has this little game called style shuffle. It is a carousel of different pieces and users are asked to rate each piece with a thumbs up or thumbs down. They also have style shuffle for entire outfits. I could play all day!
Step by Step
Here’s a run-down on how Stitch Fix works:
- Create a Stitch Fix account. Please consider using my referral link and we both get $25 off our fix.
- Complete the “Style Profile” by answering questions about fit/cut, style, price.
- Pick the date you’d like to receive your shipment.
- Personal stylist pulls together 5-6 pieces that reflect your style profile preferences.
- Once your stylist selects your items, you’ll be charged a $20 styling fee.
- Stitch Fix makes every attempt to have the shipment arrive on the date you’ve selected.
- Decide what to keep and what to return within 3 days from receipt of the shipment.
- Get 25% off for keeping all the pieces in your fix.
- Check out online.
- Shipping and returns are free.
- No subscription required, although you can schedule automatic fixes as regularly as you like.
I am sure I kept everything but don’t remember the sweater. Maybe I returned it? Or maybe it never came? I kept everything else, though. And exchanged the striped top and the rust top, both of which came in size large, for mediums. Wish this graphic had the prices for each of the pieces. I think I my total was $169.00 with the 25% discount for purchasing all 5 pieces. Around $225 before the discount. Please click here to see my Stitch Fix outfits on me!!
Get Your Pretty On Capsule Wardrobe Challenges
If you and I have been buddies for any length of time, you already know that I am a big champion of Alison Lumbatis’s Get Your Pretty On (GYPO) capsule wardrobe challenges. I credit them with being the reason I began getting ‘dressed’ again after I retired. GYPO describes itself this way:
We know what it’s like to lose confidence and motivation sometimes, we’ve been there too. Get Your Pretty On® was designed for real women, by real women. By offering a useful (might we add popular) blog, a styling program to get your closet organized (who doesn’t love spending less time wondering what to wear?!), and a community of amazing (seriously, the best!) women, you’ll get all the fashion and lifestyle inspiration you need to get your mojo back. We won’t be surprised if you stick around for a while, it’s a lot of fun! [source]
How GYPO Works
The screenshot below explains how Get Your Pretty On works.
- Receive an emailed shopping list so you’ll know exactly what you need for the capsule wardrobe.
- Check off items on the list by shopping your closet or using our shopping suggestions to purchase new pieces.
- We’ll send you daily outfit ideas using the pieces from the shopping list.
With Get Your Pretty On, you purchase clothes yourself from the suggested pieces on the capsule wardrobe shopping list. Now that I have participated in a number of these challenges, I have a solid foundation wardrobe and often have many of the basic pieces in my closet. From season to season, I look to GYPO to help me adopt trends and breathe new life into my existing wardrobe.
Step by Step
- Register for the capsule wardrobe challenge in which you are interested in participating. Use my affiliate link, please!! Fall 2019 capsule wardrobe, here and Fall 2019 work wear capsule wardrobe, here. Registration varies slightly for different challenges. Around $39 for the Fall 2019 capsule wardrobe. Work wear challenges are usually around $29.
- Join the closed, private Facebook group for GYPO participants for the capsule wardrobe you have registered for.
- Use shopping list provided by GYPO to first, shop your closet for the capsule wardrobe pieces, then shop your favorite stores for the other pieces you need from the shopping list.
- Follow the daily outfit ideas shared by GYPO and create looks of your own.
- Share (if you like) your interpretation of each daily outfit equation with your new friends on the closed, private challenge Facebook page.
- Enjoy weekly giveaways.
- Make new friends!
Here are a couple of outfits I would never have tried if not for GYPO. Boyfriend jeans, distressed jeans, skinny jeans, cuffed jeans were all new to me. Gingham skirt. Off the shoulder. Cold shoulder trends. Statement necklaces. Puffer vests. Neutral blazer. Pattern mixing. Leopard shoes. Booties.
So, which style service sounds most appealing to you? If you would like to do the 2019 Fall Capsule Wardrobe Challenge or the 2019 Fall Work Wear Capsule Wardrobe Challenge, registration is now open for both. I would so appreciate you using my affiliate links.
Thank you, Juhli, for suggesting this post. It has been many moons since I have done a fashion post but hope to get back to doing them more regularly so I can link up with all my stylish blogging friends. Carrie, Jill, Jennie, Laura, Kellyann, Laura, Chrissy, Lisa, Shelly and Andrea, Nancy and Gail. Hope you will stop by to check out their latest style posts.
Hugs and kisses,