Sweet friends, here we are with 10 Q&As all about spring. The second 10 on the 10th post for the year. I’ve offered to host 10 on the 10th this year. Have given an old series a new twist by alternating between Q&A posts one month and responding to a prompt the next. Take a look at the graphic below to see what I mean.
If you haven’t joined up with us yet, take note of these prompts, and plan to give this shiny new 10 on the 10th series a try.
Now, let’s get on with this month’s post.
Just a reminder: Once Upon a Time & Happily Ever After occasionally uses affiliate links. This means that if you click on a link provided I may receive a very small commission. Thank you for your support.
10 Q&As All About Spring
First 5 Qs
Here are my responses to each of these 10 questions about spring.
- How did you celebrate spring break/Easter as a child? How do celebrate spring break/Easter now? Bunny, chocolate, church? Beach holiday? I don’t remember Easter being as popular when I was a child as it is now. Of course, that was back in the dark ages!! BP – Before Pinterest. We dyed eggs and the Easter bunny did visit. There was always plenty of chocolate in our baskets. And I think sometimes the bunny left nests of Easter grass with a chocolate egg or two around the living room. Our family didn’t attend church until I was in high school and then only for occasional holidays, like sunrise Easter service. When I was a tween, my parents joined Holly Hills Country Club and we always partook of their Easter buffet. Spring break was spent in the backyard sun bathing, maybe taking swimming lessons that never really took.
- Do you spring clean? If so, share one tip. I love me some spring cleaning. Weird that way. But I am reading a book Present over Perfect by Shauna Niequist and it has caused me to reflect on the why of my love affair with cleaning. She likens her affection for cleaning (and hustling as fast she can to handle everything) as a kind of drug that keeps her from connecting with the things in life that really matter. Hmmm. That being said, I will share my favorite cleaning tip…baskets in which the belongings of each person in the family are placed when doing a speed cleaning of your house. I had a basket for each daughter. When I was pressed for time, or not doing a full-blown house cleaning, I would set an egg timer and spend 15 minutes in each room. And used the baskets to put shoes, toys, school papers, jackets for each daughter to deal with that evening. The baskets either sat on the stairs so they had to climb over them on the way up to their rooms. Or underneath an end table in the den.
- What’s spring weather like where you live? Average rainfall? Average temps? Ever the librarian, I looked this one up so as to give you accurate info. Here’s the breakdown: March average high of 73° / average low of 44° with 1 day of rain; April 81° / 51° 0 days (they don’t call it a desert for nothing); May 89° / 60° 1 day of rain [source]. We are breaking records with the rain we have received already this month. We have had 3 rainy days this month and 1.25″ of precipitation. So, I have pulled out my yellow rain coat and gotten several good days of use out of it in just this first 10 days of the month. By mid April we could be swimming, not in rainwater but in our pool. And even on the rainy days, the sun almost always makes an appearance.
- How green is your thumb? Do you do yard work or have a lawn service? Where’s your favorite outdoor space? My green thumb has become more camouflaged since we moved to El Paso. Looks rather dusty brown these days. We have Trugreen fertilize our lawn and spray for weeds – which grow in our desert landscaping (rocks) with great abandon. We mow our own grass which isn’t saying much! Small yard and lots of rock. But I have our lawn edged professionally. My favorite outdoor space is either on our patio or under our pergola by the hot tub. But our outdoor space is due for a face lift. PC promised I could get new patio furniture with our tax refund. Just hope we get a tax refund. We are putting down new indoor-outdoor carpeting on the balcony, putting new solar lights around the pool deck and (hopefully) getting new patio furniture. The desert sun is very hard on patio furniture and it doesn’t have a long lifespan here.
- AC on or windows open? Convertible top up or down, sunroof open or closed? I like sleeping with the windows open in the spring. Driving with the car windows down. And I love when we take PC’s convertible Mustang for a topless spin. Spring and fall are the best seasons in El Paso for convertibles and open windows. Although the wind and dust can be pretty miserable those seasons, too. As you can tell by looking at my hair, I don’t give it a lot of thought. Having the top down on the car is not going to matter one lick in how I look!
Second 5 Qs
My blog editng program likes for me to break posts into bits. So here’s round 2.
- How do you decorate for spring/Easter/Passover? Do you switch to spring bedding and linens? Do you add bits of spring everywhere? Spring throw pillows on the couch? Spring place mats on the table? You know that I love putting out seasonal and holiday decorations. So YES to the decorating. Also recently replaced our kitty-claw slashed quilt with this one from Bed, Bath and Beyond. I also change our bedroom drapes to lighter ones for the warm months. The girls’ friends used to remark that I had place mats for every occasion. And I did. But have fallen off my game some since they are all grown up with houses, and tables and place mats of their own.
Warm Weather Prep
- How do you get bathing suit/shorts/warm weather ready? Pedis? Self-tanner? New exercise routine? Highlights? Shorter ‘do? This year I am back on Weight Watchers, 2 months earlier than last year, in order to lose the 5 pounds of holiday indulgence that’s been hanging on since Christmas. You may remember I am growing out my natural hair color so my hair is a bit striped, horizontally and vertically. Dark brown with gray from my crown down about 1/2 way and then highlighted and lighter brown from there to my ends. I think the ‘in crowd’ calls it balayage. Or ombre? I call it skunk or zebra. Will probably be in the market for some sunless tanner before I bare these legs. According to this article at Goodhousekeeping.com, Jergen’s Natural Glow Instant Sun Mousse is the best value drugstore self-tanner. It comes in 2 shades, light bronze and deep Aruba, on Amazon.
- Is your closet arranged with just the current season’s clothes? I have all seasons in my closet all the time. What about you? Do you purge clothes before or after a season? Just finishing up my great clean closet challenge with Alison. You can get your free 5 day guide to a clean closet, here. While I didn’t purge a whole lot of clothes, I did empty up about 50 hangers! and did move my clearly winter clothes (heavy sweaters, pants) into a guest room closet. Vacuumed and wiped down all the shelves. Made sure everything was arranged in color order ROY G BIV…red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet – then white, tan, brown, gray and black.
- What’s your go-to spring uniform? Is there a spring trend you are looking forward to styling? According to this article from Harpers Bazaar, we can expect to see wide-leg jeans. Florals. Bright yellow. Neons. Hot pants (heaven help me). Crochet. My spring uniform is probably a tee, cardi and jeans. I really like my wide-leg jeans. Have you tried them yet? I think the silhouette is very flattering. Need to wear them more. Seeing lots of yellow and Kelly green. And I am a big fan of neons and floral prints. Bought this outfit about a month ago at H&M. Pink floral mock neck top (exact, similar) and paper bag skirt (exact, similar). Paired it with a black motto and blush heels.
- What outdoor activities do you enjoy in the spring? Does your exercise routine change? Do you eat outside? Picnic? Walk? Bike ride? Hike? Hopefully, we will exercise more again, now with Daylight Saving Time and warmer weather. Hoping to hike up Smugglers Pass before it gets too hot. Would like to ride bikes to the gym once a week. And incorporate walks back into my daily routine, which is one of my wellness goals this year.
Well, that’s my 10 Q&As all about spring. I like posts like this because they make me think. Even if I did make up the questions myself!! Ha!
How would you answer these questions? If you are a blogger and haven’t already written your 10 on the 10th post and linked up with , there’s still time. The link up will be open for a few days. So put on your thinking cap and get busy putting together your answer.
And, if you aren’t a blogger you can copy and paste the questions and your answers into a comment below. Come play with us!!
Hugs and kisses,