Dear sun worshippers and bronzed goddesses,
There are some series I really look forward to and Lauren’s Glossies Made Me Do It is one of them.
This link-up takes place the first Friday of every month. The idea? Share what a glossy (magazine) has made you do recently – try a new recipe/product, listen to a song, read a book, start a discussion/think of something new! Lauren blogs at Shooting Stars Mag, and you can read her June Glossies post right here.
You might remember that wearing sunscreen every day – not just when I am poolside, at the beach or watching PC play ball – is one of my 2018 Wellness Wednesday goals. And it is one I have been doing well keeping up with. Yay, team! In fact, for May’s WW post (we link-up on the first Wednesday of each month…join us!), I talked about loving the skin I’m in. This post is more about loving your skin by protecting it. Read on.
My glossy for today’s post is this Parents magazine, May 2018.
Your first question might be ‘why am are YOU getting Parents magazine?’ To which I have to reply, I have no clue. It just keeps showing up. True, I am still a parent. And will be for life. But Parents generally features, well, you know…younger mommies. With articles about younger children and potty training, and diaper rash, and tantrums. Since I am receiving it for free (I hope), I file the issues in the basket next to our downstairs toilet. For a little light reading. And that’s when I came across this article.
Save the Skin You’re In
Today I am sharing tips from “Protect Your Skin From Mom Life” by Kate Sandoval Box. Not sure what originally caught my eye about this article. Maybe I had my WW sunscreen goal in the back of my mind. Or my WW goal of having a dermatological full-body scan of my skin’s many sun spots. They are so numerous and close together, that I am beginning to look like I have a year-round tan. In a kind of polka-dotty, blotchy way.
Here’s what I learned from Ms. Box’s wise words.
- SPF is a must on vacay. Truly a must for everyday. But for summer vacations, we used to just pack up the bottle of sunscreen we had laying around at home. About a year ago, I started looking for expiration dates and oh, my gravy! We were using sunscreen purchased for vacations taken so long ago that our trip photos had to be developed from rolls of film. From back in the day when there was only one SPF number. Check those expiration dates, girls!!
- Spending endless hours in the sun isn’t healthy. Did you know it only takes 10 minutes to incur sun damage. Heck, I can’t unlock my car that fast in the Walmart parking lot. Dad gum it. I love to be in the sun. Comes from all those teenage years laying out in the backyard slathered with baby oil and iodine, reading Seventeen magazine. My sister couldn’t sit (lie) still as long as I could. And you can sure tell by looking at the difference in our skin now. Oh, why wasn’t I more ADHD and less ADD back then?
- Sunscreen helps prevent skin cancer (and wrinkles). People tend to miss 10% of their face when they apply sunscreen. So apply it twice! And give special attention to your eye area, carefully, of course. That is an often missed spot. While your face is your most exposed body part, scalp, neck, chest and hands are right up there.
- Check out that suspicious (those suspicious, in my case) moles. Calling today.
- UV light can find you even in the shade. It can radiate off of water, shiny surfaces like slides and even your cell phone screen. L’Oréal is developing a sensor that can be worn on the fingernail to monitor UV levels and exposure. It will be readily available next year.
Kind of scary, huh? Wish I could take back the hours of laying out I did as a teen and young mom. Makes me want to start swimming my laps in the dark. Which could be more considerate of those who have to see me in a bathing suit anyway.
Here are a few things I am doing these days to protect my skin:
- Wearing a hat. Not 24/7, but poolside at least. And sometimes even out and about when I know there will be limited shade. Wine fests. Ball games. Love this hat from Dress Barn. Be sure to put hats on the little ones, too! Love the message on this one! Girls, this one is under $5. Order today!
- Trying moisturizer and foundation with SPF.
- Using a self-tanner like Roldan and Fields. My friend Gail reviewed a new gradual self-tanning product by Dove on her blog, Is This Mutton? Picking some up today. Have used this one with success. Self-tanners have come a long way since the days of Coppertone. My dad applied some of that on us and liked to have never gotten the orange color to wear off his hands. Or our legs!!
- Buying (and wearing) a swim shirt like this one from Jantzen or this one from Land’s End. I like the color blocking of this shirt from Body Glove because it would go with any swim suit.
I swam yesterday without my swim shirt.
Need to pull it out and put it front and center by my goggles and flippers so I remember to put it on. See what I mean about swimming in the dark?
What do you do to save the skin your’re in? Were you a sun worshipper as a teen, or maybe you still are? But what steps are you taking to do so safely? Won’t you share in a comment below so we can all benefit!
Heading out to the grocery store this afternoon. But first making that call for a dermatology appointment. Then picking up my packet for tomorrow’s 5K. What do you have going on this first weekend in June? Feels like summer is here!
Hugs and kisses,