Had the idea for this “Love Stories” post in January. Wanted to share the love stories of some couples who are very special to me. And because this is a blog hop, some of my favorite bloggers have joined up with me today. So, if you have hopped over here from Danielle’s house at Family.Love.Inspiration, welcome!
Love Stories, 02.2018
I posed five questions to my sister Valerie, my best friend Sharon and my sister-in-law Metra. It’s funny, I have known these gals for years, in the case of my sister…all her life! Sharon and I have been friends since 1969! Metra has been family for about 25 years! But I couldn’t remember their love stories. So that premise became the idea for this post. Each of them have a sweet story to share and found a really special guy to spend life with. Let’s start with the newlyweds.
Metra and Mark
A little background. Metra was married to my brother Kevin, which is how she became my sister-in-law. They divorced when their children were very young but remained good friends. They shared every aspect of raising their children together. Shelby and Jacob are so fortunate that way. Mark has a young adult daughter, Samantha, whom I look forward to meeting. Metra always remained family so I still consider her my sister-in-law, even though she is now remarried to Mark, a wonderful man! They live in Kentucky so I get to see them when I visit my mom and brother.
- How did you meet? Mark “noticed” me on Facebook. He said my connection to the University of Tennessee, Knoxville, similar political views (pro-life), food posts caught his eye.
- How long had you been dating when he proposed? We began dating in August 2016…Mark proposed February 14th, 2017. (6 months)
- Did you pick out the ring? I was totally surprised with the proposal. Had NO idea. Definitely did NOT pick out ring.
- Describe the proposal. We met in August for coffee at a small, quaint bakery in Midway, Ky. We met there for breakfast/coffee on the 20th of each month. We went for breakfast on Valentine’s morning…where he executed his planned proposal.
- When did you realize what was happening? Did you have any idea ahead of time? When he dropped to his knee…looking at me and asked! I had NO idea this was even close to happening.
- How long have you been married? We were married April 29, 2017…so 10 months!
Talk about love at first sight! Such a romantic story. And I love that he got down on his knee. Que cute. Here are Mark and Metra! Love you guys!!
Sharon and Mike
Sharon and I became friends when I moved from Boston to Bartlett, Tennessee in sixth grade. Our friendship really blossomed in 7th grade and by 8th grade, we were inseparable. Although she lives in Oklahoma, and we don’t see each other often, we talk via text or email almost every day. We went to high school with her husband, Mike. Both of us thought he was awfully cute. And he still is!
- How did you meet? I believe we actually met at the first freshman football game but you (she’s talking about ME) and I had already spotted him out in freshmen English. 😊
- How long had you been dating when he proposed? We were big buddies for 5 years before dating. I went camping with him and all the Ellendale (little town near our hometown of Bartlett, Tennessee) guys and a storm blew in. He consoled me during that scary tent storm. The next day he couldn’t eat. We always say he was struck by lightening that night. After that, we began dating. He said he knew after 3 months he was going to marry me.
- Did you pick out the ring? No.
- Describe the proposal. We got engaged the following summer when his parents were on vacation. He was trying to teach me how to drive a stick shift car and was so different. Basically the first time he ever got fussy with me. Finally after the car died so many times, he leaned over to the glove box and brought out a ring box.
- When did you realize what was happening? Did you have any idea ahead of time? I don’t remember too much after he brought out the box but pretty sure he never even popped the question! We drove or he drove back to my house in Bartlett to show my family. We got married the following March on my 21st birthday.
- How long have you been married? This year it will be 40 years!
Sharon and Mike have two children, Adam and Kendall. Adam is married to Jen, and they have 3 of the cutest little ones you’ve ever seen. Ella, 5 and Davis and Millie, the twins, are almost 3.
Aren’t they a darling couple? Adam and Jen have such cutie pie babies!! And Kendall is a successful golfer living in Florida. Someday soon, I am going to hug my Sharonia and her grandbabies in person. Love you guys!!
Valerie and Roby
I have mentioned my baby sister on the blog many times. She is my hero! But even though she is my sister, I couldn’t remember her love story. Vaguely remembered something about a belt! A number of marriages end in divorce when the couple loses a child. Thankfully, Valerie and Roby’s relationship has remained strong long after the death of their son Andrew at the age of 3 to Wilm’s Tumor.
- How did you meet? We met at a Methodist church singles group We met while playing darts at a group outing. It was Roby, another girl and me. After darts, we all went to Chili’s for a bite to eat. I did not catch his name except I knew it was odd, but I really liked him. I was wearing a belt that was way too big on me and he offered to punch an additional hole in it or me. I never saw him again after that night. Fast forward about 8 months and I had a group Christmas party at my apartment. I kept hearing people say Roby was back in town after 6 months in the South China sea. He came to the party and we met again and started dating pretty soon after. Fast forward again after getting married, two moves and two kids, I unpacked the belt I wore that night and Roby said he had never had a chance to put a new hole in the belt for me (after two kids I couldn’t hardly wear it any more!). I stared at him like he was crazy. He did not understand my confusion, but I had no idea Roby was the guy I had played darts with that night. As I tell him, I fell in love with him twice.
- How long had you been dating when he proposed? 11 months
- Did you pick out the ring? No. He knew I wanted a round shaped diamond and two trillions.
- Describe the proposal. One evening he went over to his mom’s house for the evening and I decided not to go with him. I stayed at my apartment and watched some sad movie (wish I remembered which). I really didn’t expect to see Roby so I had on sweats and had taken my makeup off and was wearing my glasses. He came with a silver colored ornament box from Hallmark. When I opened it, his mom had made it into a ring box and Roby proposed. I don’t remember him getting on his knee, but he is old fashioned so he probably did.
- When did you realize what was happening? Did you have any idea ahead of time? I was pretty sure I was getting the ring soon and we were going to see my parents in Memphis. I wasn’t sure if he had the intention proposing before we went or after we got back from our Christmas trip, but I wanted to show my parents and announce it while visiting. I guess I nagged enough.
- How long have you been married? 23.5 years
Valerie and Roby have two children, Trey, 21 years old and Angel Andrew, forever 3 years old. They live in Houston. It’s hard when all the people I love most, aside from my sweet Prince, live such a distance away. Wish we could get together for lunch. Or a Target shopping trip. Valerie and I Skrype (scrapbook and Skype) once a month or so and attend the Texas Library Association annual conference together every year.
Precious couple. Roby has been a wonderful, supportive brother-in-law. Even when I have been my craziest. He has always been there for my daughters and me. Do you think my baby sister and I look alike? In this photo, I see a little of our mama in Valerie’s face. Will be traveling with Valerie to see our mom this time next month. Can’t wait. Love you guys!!
Was going to add our love story to this post, but think I will save it for Valentine’s Day. Hope you will come back then to find out how my PC popped the question.
The Last Word
I wanted to add a little surprise for Metra, Sharon and Valerie as a kind of thank you for sharing their stories with me. So, I messaged their PCs asking them to share what about their wives they fell in love with. Their answers are so dear.
From Mark to Metra: God made it very obvious that He had picked Metra for me. She is His gift, and I believe we both knew very quickly that we were made for each other. She has a wonderful, loving heart, is beautiful in every way, and I am so very blessed and grateful to have her as my wife.
From Mike to Sharon: I fell in love with her knowing she was always more concerned with the needs of others than herself. Also having raised all of her younger sisters, I knew she would be a good mother, whenever that day would arrive. She’s extremely organized . Has a backup plan for all of her plans. She’s an excellent kisser, too. Still is.
From Roby to Valerie: She was fun, unbroken and she liked me. She was cute, too.
Aren’t those the sweetest messages? Metra, Sharon and Valerie married very, very well. Continued life-long blessings to all three couples. And a huge bear hug of thanks to all of you.
Would love to hear your love story! How did you meet your significant other? Was there a surprise proposal? Did you pick out your ring? Please share the love by leaving a comment below.
And remember that blog hop I mentioned at the beginning of this post? Would like to invite you to hop from here over to Nikki’s blog at Gwin Gal’s Inside and Out Adventures. She has a special love story post to share with you, too! Also participating are Jamie at No Delusions of Grandeur, Amber at Amber I Am, and Rebecca at Knit by God’s Hand. Hope you will take time to read everyone’s love story!!
Hope you will return for my “10 on the 10th” post (this month’s edition going live this week on the 12th) and my love story on the 14th. In the meantime, wishing you lots of love!
Hugs and kisses,