Welcome to the August edition of TBB Asks. You might remember that July is a big birthday for my family. Cadence on 07.28, Brennyn on 07.30 and Lauren on 07.31. With all those birthdays you might think we are a big party family…at least in July. But we aren’t. None of us likes to host parties or even attend parties, unless they are very small with just family.
10 Questions about Parties
1. Favorite birthday party as a child? I don’t remember one particular favorite. In an album somewhere there are photos of my 10th birthday, I think, which is one I can at least remember. Several friends came for a dinner party. We all dressed up and my mom fixed her delicious fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and homemade bread. Oh, and birthday cake, of course. I felt very grown up and special.
2. Do you like to entertain? Yes or no? Family, yes. Others, not so much. I get very nervous. Is my house clean enough? What if the food I prepare doesn’t turn out well? What if I say something stupid?
3. What kind of parties are your favorite? Family birthday parties.
4. Big or small parties? Small as in none. Ha! Or very, very small. Just PC and me.
5. Favorite thing to do at parties? Eat? Is that an option? Play with the kids. Take pictures. Help clean up. Anything that keeps me from having to interact and make small talk with the adults.
6. Party food favorites? Dips and chips, queso and tortilla chips, hamburgers, brats, hot dogs on the grill. For the one party we hosted for PC’s baseball team, I served hot dogs and hamburgers on the grill, baked beans, this recipe for Rudy’s corn, and this recipe for Cracker Barrel hash brown casserole.
7. Favorite flavor of birthday cake? I love German chocolate but haven’t had it in a very long time. One year when we were in college, my sister made me broccoli and cheese sauce in the dorm for my birthday because I loved it so much.
8. Balloons? Yes or no? Yes, generally. They are an inexpensive way to decorate and add to the theme of the party. And if kids are going to be there, you have to have balloons. And around here, a piñata, too!
9. Best party song? It is Mexican culture to play a song called “Las Mañanitas”, which is sung first thing in the morning on a person’s birthday to honor their birth. My son-in-law played it for Lucia on her second birthday and it was the sweetest thing.
In another life time, years ago, the Rick James’s songs were popular at parties. I liked “Give it to Me, Baby” and “Super Freak”. I think songs like “Cupid Shuffle” and “The Chicken Song” allow people who aren’t big dancers to still have fun moving around on the dance floor.
10. Do you like to dance? Yes or no? Yes, but my PC doesn’t like to dance. So I rarely dance, either.
In some ways, I would like to get over my fear of parties and be able to have a few couples over for drinks or dinner. Love to play Pictionary. It seems like it would be fun to have a Pictionary night. We play that with the girls and their PCs whenever we are all together. Having an activity to do would make it easier to have people over.
So, are you a party-thrower and party goer? If so, have you always been comfortable entertaining or were you once like me? Would love for you to share your answers to all of the questions in a comment below. Here are the questions to make it a little easier for you to copy, paste and ANSWER!!
1. Favorite birthday party as a child?
2. Do you like to entertain? Yes or no?
3. What kind of parties are your favorite?
4. Big or small Parties?
5. Favorite thing to do at parties?
6. Party food favorites?
7. Favorite flavor of birthday cake?
8. Balloons? Yes or no?
9. Best party song?
10. Do you like to dance? Yes or no?
Can’t wait to read your answers. And hey, you and your PC wanna come over this weekend for burgers and Pictionary?
Hugs and kisses,