Not feeling good this week, girls. Probably TMI but I am suffering with hemorrhoids. They are a real pain in the butt. Have tried ointments and creams, suppositories but still pretty miserable. Splurged today on a $28 tube of the strongest over the counter med available and can finally sit down long enough to type this post! Ha! But I am going to type fast. Not sure how long the meds will keep the pain manageable.
Linking up with Erin at Simple, Purposeful Living for 10 on the 10th. Today we are talking about 10 fall staples. In far west Texas, we are still experiencing record high temps with the possibility of triple digits this second week of September. I haven’t pulled out my sweaters and boots quite yet.
Here’s a list of little things that have become fall staples at our house. When I start breaking out the pumpkin dish towels and the dancing solar scarecrows, can fall be far behind?
10 Fall Staples
- Sip on pumpkin spice coffee. The first of the month, I switched from a hazelnut-decaf blend to these little cuties. This coffee is such a treat! Had my first $4 pumpkin spice latte at Starbucks (which is a stretch for my budget) but for almost the same money I can buy a box of 18 cups of deliciousness at Walmart! And I don’t have to get dressed to go get it. Sadly, a cup of pumpkin spice cappuccino mix is 4 Weight Watchers points. But worth it. Compare that to a Starbucks, which, depending on milk fat, addition of whipped cream and size, can run up to 20 points. Making this cup of joy a bargain in more ways than one! My sweet BFF Sharon just sent me a Starbucks card so I can splurge and enjoy another PSL but going to wait til things cool off for good.
- Set out my dancing solar scarecrows. I switch out my dancing solar figurines for each change in season or upcoming holiday. Put my pink flamingo away today replacing it with these darling dancing scarecrows. They boogie in the sunshine streaming through my kitchen window. The rocks you see around them are all heart-shaped. PC and I look for heart-shaped rocks on our hikes and walks. Lucia is fascinated with my collection of solar dolls (not rocks) and they are one of the first things she asks to play with when she is here for a visit. I buy them at Dollar Tree for…guess how much?…four quarters, ten dimes, twenty nickels or a hundred pennies!
- Fall-themed tea towels. Packed away the cactus dish towels this week and broke out those with pumpkins, acorns and turning oak leaves. This is such an inexpensive way to bring a useful splash of autumn into your kitchen. My trouble is I want new ones every year!
- Bake some pumpkin bread. This recipe is one that Lauren wrote up as a gift to me when she was in elementary school. We have made this bread over and over as you can tell by looking at her recipe. I need to get this laminated and then send it to Lauren so she and Lucia can make pumpkin bread together. I think Lucia has inherited her mommy’s sweet tooth. Will be sharing this recipe for Tasty Tuesday next week. Hope you’ll stop back by!
- Dish up some comfort food. Fall means soups, chilis and other types of ‘comfort food’ that warm our tummies and our hearts. Made my first pot of pumpkin chili a week ago before my Prince left for North Carolina. Froze half of it so I would have it to eat while he was gone. Can you say Frito pie? Chili turkey dogs? You can find a couple of the recipes I have used on my Pinterest “Souper Salads” board, here and here. And a delicious 21 Day Fix recipe, here. Maybe I’ll mix up some of this for Tasty Tuesday, too!
- Put out my fall decor. Inside and out. Just getting started with that but if my behind feels better this weekend, I am going to get my trotting harness on. Want to transform this house from summer to fall before PC gets home. Maybe that will encourage the arrival of sweater weather.
- Create an autumn bucket list. My very first bucket list and bucket list post was in the fall of 2016. They have become an autumn staple in our lives because at my age, if I don’t write down what I want to do, I forget to do it. With the exception of eating, sleeping and going potty! Will be ‘releasing’ my 2018 autumn bucket list on 09.21.2018. Sure would love to have you join me.
- Make a fall craft or two or ten. Pumpkins decorated with doilies or book pages. Made leaves from book pages…and I call myself a librarian?!? Who would do that to a book? But we don’t have fall leaves (or trees, for that matter) around here so I have to replicate them anyway I can. Paper leaves come from trees, right? Painted a Katrina (the female skeletons used in Mexican decorating at this time of year) at I Painted That!
- Build a scarecrow. And maybe an altar. For as long as I can remember, I’ve built a scarecrow every fall. Always had one in the library when I was still working and called him my ‘novio’ or boyfriend. The kids loved that. Sometimes I put my espantapajaros in a wheelbarrow that I decorate for holidays and at changes of season. Other times, I have him sit on our porch bench. I have also always built an altar for Dia de los Muertos (think the movie “Cocoa”) in my libraries. Might make one for the house this year, the first fall in 29 years that I am not working in a library. Waaaaa!
- Join the Get Your Pretty On Fall 2018 Capsule Wardrobe and Style Challenge. I’ve signed up. Have you? Girls, if you have never tried one of Alison’s GYPO challenges, then you need to sign up like YESTERDAY. Do you hate to shop? Not sure how to put an outfit together? Are you on a budget? Want to freshen your fall wardrobe and try some trends without going broke? Or as my friend Zulema says broque – seems much fancier when spelled that way. Come join me for the fall challenge. Use my affiliate link to register and then get ready for three weeks of great fun and fashion. Click here to register. I think this will be my fourth fall challenge. It just wouldn’t be fall without joining.
So those are my 10 fall staples. I am declaring this weekend to be the beginning of fall at my house, even if it is still shorts weather. Can’t wait to get everything decorated!
What would your fall staples be? Is there an activity you enjoy faithfully every fall? Maybe somewhere you go? Something you eat? Won’t you share in a comment below?
Then be sure to stop by Erin’s to read about her fall staples for September’s 10 on the 10th, or in my case 10 on the 12th. Better late than never.
Thanks, lovie-doves, for spending a bit of time with me. Come back for Wellness Wednesday that may be Wellness Thursday if I don’t get my (sore) butt in gear.
Hugs and kisses,